Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for elimination final v Essendon, Saturday 9 September

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Newman is the only other player whose spot could be doubt. That's not a comment on my preference or his ability. But I think that, in the coaches' minds, he's one of the last players picked. They'll weigh up what kind of forward line they want (ie is there a spot for Hayward if Papley returns), and then make a decision between the pace of Towers/Cunningham vs the smarts and penetrating kick of Newman (and their relative experience will probably factor in, too).
    Newman always seems to win his one on one contest unlike some players I could mention. Really hope he stays. He was pretty important last time we played the Bombers.

The umpires seem really hard on Newman. He gets pinged for holding the ball in situations in which other players are allowed to play on. I don't think his technique is particularly bad. I wonder if he was holding the ball once and this was picked up as an umpire learning example and he has been targeted since.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    The umpires seem really hard on Newman. He gets pinged for holding the ball in situations in which other players are allowed to play on. I don't think his technique is particularly bad. I wonder if he was holding the ball once and this was picked up as an umpire learning example and he has been targeted since.
    Hopefully the umpires will unlearn any such bias after review of the Carlton game. He was pinged once for holding the ball where he never came close to taking possession. The ball was in dispute and he was still paddling it in front waiting for an opportunity to take possession.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hopefully the umpires will unlearn any such bias after review of the Carlton game. He was pinged once for holding the ball where he never came close to taking possession. The ball was in dispute and he was still paddling it in front waiting for an opportunity to take possession.
    He does play for the Swannies, though! Not sure the Stevics of the world can unlearn bias.

In: nainsmith, hannerbury, papley.
    Out: ????

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    After today's display, Aliir should not be recalled. (No apologies, Ludwig.) Whatever has gone awry for him, I hope it gets sorted over the off-season. He has a lot of upside. I did think it was interesting that they returned Aliir to playing defence in the 2s today after exposing him to various other roles in recent times. Could this have been to make it easier to tell if they are ready to recall him in a primarily defensive role?
    Some of the play ons and taking on tacklers seemed downright idiotic. I was wondering if he plays this way on his own volition or was instructed to take the game on at all cost. Remember, Rhyce Shaw was that kind of player too and may be developing Aliir in a similar mould. After 4 years at the club I would think the subject of Aliir's playing style would have been a matter of discussion over a long period of time. Either he's playing against instructions or he's playing to instructions, but has days when it just doesn't come off that well. In the end, he has to learn to play within his limitations. It helps to learn what those limitations are in real game situations if one is going to play within them.

Most of these plays that people are referring to took place well after the game was in the bag, so there wasn't much risk to try some speculative (wild) things at that stage. He wasn't going to play senior footy anyway, so it's a moot point relating his NEAFL performance with finals playing prospects.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cunningham stays in and is given a defensive job on Tipungwuti. Last time we played Essendon, Rohan played on him for most of the game before switching forward at the end to take that mark. They'll want Rohan forward this time.

Senior Player
    If Naismith plays in the seniors and Sinclair is dropped who will ruck for the reserves, is Sinclair eligible to play in reserves.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    If Naismith plays in the seniors and Sinclair is dropped who will ruck for the reserves, is Sinclair eligible to play in reserves.
    Yep. For as long as the senior team is still alive, any squad member can player for the NEAFL side irrespective of the eligibility criteria (subject to rules around where there's a bye, which we discovered over the weekend that no-one on here understands!)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cunningham stays in and is given a defensive job on Tipungwuti. Last time we played Essendon, Rohan played on him for most of the game before switching forward at the end to take that mark. They'll want Rohan forward this time.
    A most interesting observation, which I hadn't picked up. It reinforces my view that Rohan is essentially a forward, potentially a very good forward, and someone else can sit on Tipungwuti.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    A most interesting observation, which I hadn't picked up. It reinforces my view that Rohan is essentially a forward, potentially a very good forward, and someone else can sit on Tipungwuti.
    Agreed - good pick-up AB Swannie.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Not a good match up. Tipungwuti would be far too strong for him.

Heard on SEN this morning that Hurley, Fantasia and Hooker are no certainties to play and didn't train much last week.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast