Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Coaching panel

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    He'd be the obvious choice and was obviously recruited in the wake of Taubert's impending retirement. The club would have been told weeks ago you'd think, keeping it quiet until they'd secured Taubert's replacement in Big Cox.
    But wasn't Cox meant to be a replacement for Dew? So we're still one assistant short from the 2017 group.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    But wasn't Cox meant to be a replacement for Dew? So we're still one assistant short from the 2017 group.
    Oops, maybe you're right.... I did read somewhere that he's considered to be good on 'strategy'.

Senior Player
    Oops, maybe you're right.... I did read somewhere that he's considered to be good on 'strategy'.
    He will replace Dew and work on aspects of the midfield including ruckmen

Senior Player
    Was Taubert part of that coaching group? Certainly wasn't part of the match-day committee. I noticed Longmire mentioned he worked part-time. Perhaps more of a consultant. I also recall Harley (I think?) saying the structure might be different next year.

This wholesale level of change makes me think the Swans have conducted a review in secret as a result of our 0-6 start and are now implementing its recommendations. I wonder if they haven't quietly moved on some of the assistants? Or am I just a wild conspiracy theorist?

Taubert was part time, Big Cox is full time, so we are effectively down part of an assistant coach. I assume Dean will cover part of Dew's role, and part of Taubert's role, with Kirk / Blakey covering the rest.

On the veteran's list
    Obviously the gathering we saw photos of with Taubo and a gaggle of ruckmen was his whispering farewell.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    This wholesale level of change makes me think the Swans have conducted a review in secret as a result of our 0-6 start and are now implementing its recommendations. I wonder if they haven't quietly moved on some of the assistants? Or am I just a wild conspiracy theorist?

Taubert was part time, Big Cox is full time, so we are effectively down part of an assistant coach. I assume Dean will cover part of Dew's role, and part of Taubert's role, with Kirk / Blakey covering the rest.
    It is intriguing and as sad as it is to see the 'ruck whisperer' go (and I think that was his decision), I'm actually quite excited by all these changes. I have been, like a lot of others here at RWO, preying for dynamic and adaptable game plans and versatility in the coaches box as well as on the field. I also think, in Cox and Johnson, we have brought in some serious talent and experience. Our list has so much talent, we should be dominating like the Hawks did.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 11th October 2017 at 10:29 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post

I imagine it's an ongoing process. I don't think there was anything about 2017 that screamed out for wholesale changes, but most organisations understand the need to get fresh blood from time to time and to rotate people around to mix ideas up. And most individuals realise they need a change from time to time, to get new ideas and challenge themselves in different ways.

While the changes this year have probably been more extensive than in past seasons, they're also just part of the ongoing rotation in coaching staff that we've seen over the years.

On the veteran's list
    Our list has so much talent, we should be dominating like the Hawks did.

Are we sure we have this enormous talent or have we just had a tremendous coaching group which has squeezed every ounce out of an average group with a handful of stars?
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Taubert retires. The timing is interesting, wonder whether that means Cox will become the ruck coach after all.

Taubert Retires - sydneyswans.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    And they are coaching in the positions they played, assuming Cox will take on the rucks.
    Called it, sort of

Probably explains the insta photo from a week or so ago where all the big boys were out having a beer with Taubert

@taubo

A post shared by Sam Naismith (@crayfish35) on

"Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Called it, sort of

Probably explains the insta photo from a week or so ago where all the big boys were out having a beer with Taubert

@taubo

A post shared by Sam Naismith (@crayfish35) on

I'm sorry not to see Mike Pyke there. I wonder if he'd be considered to replace Taubo given that he came to the game late. He succeeded precisely because he is smart and took on board all that the coaches told him. Anyway he might not be interested. Although I've seen him at games and he has been referred to in some Swans news, I get the impression he has not been involved with the game in a footy/coaching type way. And I seem to recall he moved into finance. Then again he does continue to hang out with a lot of Swans. He was at the NEAFL prelim with Jared Crouch and their families.

Anyway, as regards the larger question of turnover in the coaching ranks, I'm all in favour. I like having Horse as head coach and I'm delighted to have some fresh blood.

And I congratulate the club because I'm sure they facilitated the turnover, although I'm curious about to what degree and how and when. Maybe they just indicated halfway through the season that they were looking at turning over some coaching staff and encouraged all the assistant coaches to consider other opportunities. (Possibly more than expected took this as a cue, but I don't this is a bad thing.)

There's definitely a story to be told here and I'd love to hear it. Not sure who in the media can be trusted to report it well. Probably Andrew Wu is the best we'll do. Most of the heavier hitters don't cover Sydney or have the connections here.

Veteran Site Admin
    Maybe Pykey was the one taking the photo.