Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2018 fixture

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Wish I was lucky enough to just live in the same city as my team let alone care about when the games are on.

FWIW there's no Swans game in Adelaide this year but I've already renewed my membership as a show of support for the team despite no game to attend. Don't worry about what time the games are Wolfie, I have to travel interstate to see my team!
    I hear you 707

I�m trying to find some weekends where I can work around work and get to a game in Sydney next season

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Your wish (or ability) to attend games should have little to do with whether you buy a membership or not. Buying a membership is the best practical way to support your club as all the money goes to the club. If membership only equates to ground admittance, then it would seem your only motive in being a member is to get into games on the cheap.
    Hmm.. I'm a 20+ year member and can tell you that I had to seriously consider the value of a membership this year. I won't be going to as many games as I'm use to and my kids sure as hell won't be considering all the night games. I'm sure some families have a spare $1000 or so to give to their team in a show of support, but we definitely don't. I won't be paying $1000 for a family membership unless I see the value, and 10 or 11 games' worth of entertainment is worth it. 5 or 6 is not. I'll be getting my single membership and might bring the kids to a day game or two paying out of pocket.
    Life's not a spectator sport

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Don't worry about living in the 'west'. I live in the lower eastern suburbs and one year I didn't get home until about 2am. Very, very inadequate public transport in my direction from the SCG, and at least 2 buses required. The second had finished by the time I managed to catch the first, and I ended up walking half the way home.Never again.
    What is the lower eastern suburbs?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Very harsh feedback for wolftone. I don't have a big problem with night games but Saturday afternoons is my favourite problem. I definitely don't have a problem with someone not renewing their membership because it is difficult to get to games. It's perfectly ok to buy a membership for the value it offers. The Swans after all are a corporate entity run in corporate style. While I feel a degree of loyalty to the club and players, the times have moved on and AFL is now a big business and I have no problem demanding that the club provides value if they want my $$. Like Mel said, if those who have the money want to make the Swans their favourite charity, by all means but if I'm giving charity I think there are better causes I can support, much as I care about the club and our success.

Veterans List
    The AFL schedules our games in prime time because we are successful and popular. Games involving the swans are normally high rating so of course the AFL is going to think about the $$.

Unfortunately they forget about supporters with families as well as the older generation. I'm sure this year the SCG games with high attendance were those in the afternoon or twilight.

My dad is getting older and couldn't attend the night games here in Melbourne. This year we at least had some day games whereas next year they are mostly at night. He is debating whether to renew his AFL membership.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I think you answered your own question there. Although we do have three return games against top-6 sides, one of them is against West Coast, who we must all admit, aren't that scary. It could be an easier draw, but I'm not outraged. In the end, it is what it is, and if you want to win, you have to be good enough to beat the best.

In terms of game times, I agree that evening games are a bummer to get to, but I think the club would be pretty happy with. All that TV exposure is great for the club - attracts fans, attracts sponsors. Thursday and Friday nights are the worst, what with getting there from work and no public transport to get home, but I find if I ride my bike straight from work, that's about 20-30 minutes, and about 30 minutes to ride home after the game, with no wait for traffic, so its not too bad.
    On the fixture balancing, Essendon has an easier fixture than several clubs below them on the ladder.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I'm sure this year the SCG games with high attendance were those in the afternoon or twilight.
    I feel a graph coming on

Attachment 2084

(have images stopped displaying in posts?)

I'd say of the afternoon/twilight games two were average, one low and three above average crowds. Notable that the 3 higher attendance games were the last 3, one of which was a final. I guess the weather plays a part (warmer towards the end of the season). Notable too that the lowest crowd was a night game versus the 2016 premiers...at a point in the season when the Swans were back on the up after the 6 losses. Go figure.

So lots of factors at play: time of year, opposition, weather, finals, previous form.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I feel a graph coming on
    Seems the forum ate my graph. Trying again. Maybe admins can look into it if this one has issues.

Attachment 2086

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Not sure that Friday night football is a great way to attract fans in Sydney. for a start Friday night footy has always been the purvey of the NRL in Sydney and is a huge tradition here. I don't know where you are based but certainly from a person with a Melbourne perspective Friday night footy would be a really huge event. But in Sydney going up against the NRL head to head on a Friday night is like being on a hiding to none. The NRL Friday Night footy is still the most popular telly in Sydney and as most Sydneysiders go to watch their teams they do watch the matches on 9 on a Friday night. So winning new fans in Sydney from Friday night footy might not be that easy. Other live broadcasts do better than the Friday games due to no NRL telecast.

So in all I think the impact of Friday night AFL footy in getting new fans and winning the hearts and souls of the uninitiated in Sydney is negligible.
    I think the impact to NRL is a lot lower than what you imagine. The Friday night Sydney game constantly out-rates the NRL game on Channel 9, and the crowd we get at our ONE home match (even on a Thursday night), is still higher than all the NRL weekend matches put together.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Response from Swans about my gripes with this years draw...

"Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on the 2018 fixture

We understand that the afternoon and twilight timeslots are favourites of our members, we also understand that the night games can make it difficult for our family members to attend we are happy with the blockbuster fixture we have been given and always welcome families at the footy.

Each club does get a few requests for the fixture we are not necessarily met by the AFL, each year we do request to have more afternoon or day games as we know that these timeslots are preferred by our members. Given we have a very high number and supporters and draw large crowds the AFL tend to allocate us the blockbuster timeslots of night game.

If you are unable attend all home matches your membership is transferable so you can pass it along to a family member or friend to use. Alternatively you can return your seat for resale and if it is resold you will earn an account credit to her 2019 membership. These are measures we have put in place for members to get the most out of their memberships as we understand that sometimes it can be difficult to attend all 11 home games due to prior commitments.

We look forward to seeing you in 2018!"

Veteran Site Admin
    I am glad to at least read that the Swans requested more day time or twilight games, suggesting they are at least in tune with what the supporters want. If the AFL doesn't allocate what clubs ask for, I guess it's hard for the club to do much.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567