Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most talented list

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    If we were settling Australia now, we wouldn't be planting vines in the Hunter Valley!

Barossa and McLaren Vale are the two best Shiraz regions by a long way.
    What is this arrantly off topic nonsense? Sure, McLaren Vale is my fave shiraz but shiraz is not the only variety and the Hunter has excellent semillon and chardonnay. More to the point, why are we talking about whether we would plant vines in the Hunter?

We have a highly rated list because we are good at coaching and development (plus some kudos to Kin Beatson) - although suggesting that we are well coached is going to bait some of the trolls out there!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And by way of contrast, us Swans are supposed to have the most talented list, but year in and year out, we are one of the teams with the lowest number of top ten picks and highest number of players originally taken in the rookie draft.
    Plus, we got to where we are with a two year trading ban thrown in for good measure ........stuff the 'VFL', you'd reckon they have learned by now that you just can't keep a good club down.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Plus, we got to where we are with a two year trading ban thrown in for good measure ........stuff the 'VFL', you'd reckon they have learned by now that you just can't keep a good club down.
    Don't tempt them.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yeah, "It's only a flesh wound".

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Unless the team of champions is really really good.
    A team of champions unfortunately don't play like a team. I can remember one star studded line up that actually gelled and that was the North Foreign Legion of the '70's. But it took a few seasons. Barass got them a couple of premierships. Our Foreign Legion of the '40's was a total failure for all that talent.

All the teams that have had the most sustained success have been teams developed from a team first philosophy. Collingwood tried buying premierships by buying stars for decades. They finally won one under Lethal with a team first philosophy.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    A team of champions unfortunately don't play like a team. I can remember one star studded line up that actually gelled and that was the North Foreign Legion of the '70's. But it took a few seasons. Barass got them a couple of premierships. Our Foreign Legion of the '40's was a total failure for all that talent.

All the teams that have had the most sustained success have been teams developed from a team first philosophy. Collingwood tried buying premierships by buying stars for decades. They finally won one under Lethal with a team first philosophy.

Our Foreign Legion was the 30s (1933-36) and it was more successful than the Docs assembled talent of the 80s. 1 premiership from 4 conservative grand finals isn�t too shabby. Despite the talent, those things aren�t that easy to win (and we were robbed for one of them when Pratt was a late withdrawal).
    Last edited by goswannies; 6th February 2018 at 04:00 PM.

Veterans List
    I should have just paid the postage and got it on line but I stupidly elected to go to my local Westfield to buy the 2018 AFL Prospectus. I hate shopping centres and today's wander through reinforced that hate but I got Champion Data's excellent publication.

Straight to the Swans pages when I got it home, a nice analysis of our list confirming what most of us believe - that it's in good shape, is transitioning nicely and that the recruiting has been absolutely excellent given the lack of high draft picks.

Particularly liked the write up on Jordan Dawson, "numbers in the NEAFL went through the roof averaging 136 ranking points, the second most of any player in the comp........ he dominated most metrics, rating elite for disposals, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, contested marks, goals and tackles per game"

But we all know that, his lack of promotion mystified most of us. Must be given a good run at it IMO, weight of numbers and a uniqueness of player type. The kind of player that should improve our best 22.

There were reasons Dawson didn't get a run.
    There were reasons Allir didn't get another run.

I don't know what they were/are, but I trust the club is looking after the players, as well as putting the best team on the track every week.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Unless the team of champions is really really good.
    champion team of champions beats a champion team

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    There were reasons Dawson didn't get a run.
    There were reasons Allir didn't get another run.

I don't know what they were/are, but I trust the club is looking after the players, as well as putting the best team on the track every week.
    Dawson was very close on many occasions. I think they just wanted a diffetent style of player on the day. Several times it was either him or a speedster and they went speed. That doesn't denigrate him at all as it was horses for courses.

They were also honing him in the Twos as a big string mid and he has progressed wonderfully. Needs to go to the next level this season.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    The article also refers to us as 'Lance Franklin's Swans'. I personally don't have an issue with this, but I wonder how Joey Kennedy would feel seeing as he is the captain.
    It seems an unusual turn of phrase - normally this phrasing would be reserved for the coach eg. "Longmire's swans".

I didn't read the article, but I guess in context it makes more sense as Franklin is clearly our most talented player. Still seems odd though and I would prefer not to see it.

I wouldn't call Franklin clearly our most talented player.
    I think a few other hats would be in that ring.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast