Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1982 Round 1 Swans v Melbourne TRIVIA

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Correct! Both were often referred to during the broadcast, despite the relocation! Good work royboy
    Well that is understandable because in 1982 they weren�t yet the Sydney Swans. My understanding is that the club was still the South Melbourne Swans who happened to be playing all their home games in Sydney. They didn�t relocate the club and officially take on the name Sydney Swans until 1983

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Well that is understandable because in 1982 they weren�t yet the Sydney Swans. My understanding is that the club was still the South Melbourne Swans who happened to be playing all their home games in Sydney. They didn�t relocate the club and officially take on the name Sydney Swans until 1983
    You are correct. In 1982, the club was technically a Melbourne-based club which played all of its home games in Sydney.

The club dropped the name 'South Melbourne' in June 1982, becoming known as simply 'the Swans' for the rest of the 1982 season.

However during televising, whenever scores were displayed during the coverage of the 1982 Round 1 game against Melbourne, the two teams were listed as SWANS and MELBOURNE. Not STH MELB or SOUTH MELB ...
    F9776DFC-3D56-490F-B1A3-B56323B95425.jpg
    In contrast, this is how the Swans were shown during televising during the 1981 season ...
    D10DE71B-6BE4-45A9-8973-7C7C3D41EBDE.jpg
    It would seem that the intention was for the team to be referred to as the Swans rather than South Melbourne during the 1982 season (one of the commentators even corrects himself during the coverage of the game).

Regardless, the question was, what did the commentators usually refer to us as, in this game.
    Last edited by goswannies; 18th March 2018 at 10:47 PM.

4 Colin Hounsell (running shot from the boundary if I recall correctly?)
    5 Silvio Foschini?
    6 In addition to Michael Byrne, Gerard Healy & Shane Zantuck: Gary Baker, Vin Cattoggio & Kevin Goss?
    7 Ron Barassi, Ricky Quade & Brett Scott (caretaker coach for just 1 game I think?)
    8 Wards?
    11 Barry Round, Mark Browning & Dennis Carroll?
    14 $50k? (Guess)
    15 Gerard Healy?

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    4 Colin Hounsell (running shot from the boundary if I recall correctly?)
    You got it!

5 Silvio Foschini?
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS;745099[B
    6[/B] In addition to Michael Byrne, Gerard Healy & Shane Zantuck: Gary Baker, Vin Cattoggio & Kevin Goss?
    Baker & Catoggio didn�t join the Swans until the following year. Kevin Goss was a one club South Melbourne player. His brother Paul played for Melbourne. His other brother Norm played for Hawthorn & South. And you very nearly named another one ... just in answering a different question

Sandridge also named Byrne, Healy & Zantuck. The other 3 yet to be named people (in answering question 6) were all associated with Melbourne during that game. The �bonus person� with a foot in both camps involved with the coverage of the game, wasn�t directly involved with either club that day.

7 Ron Barassi, Ricky Quade & Brett Scott (caretaker coach for just 1 game I think?)
    Well done! Brett Scott. 2 games. 2 losses.

8 Wards?
    You got it! Well done

11 Barry Round, Mark Browning & Dennis Carroll?
    Spot on!

14 $50k? (Guess)
    Nope. Clue - higher

15 Gerard Healy?
    Nope. But good guess

Great answering KSAS (& the irony of your name isn�t lost on me with this quiz!)

For those who don�t want to google the answers, but want a bit of a hint, the game is Sydney Swans Heritage listed.
    http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/video/20...game-in-sydney
    At least one of the answers can be found on that video clip.
    Last edited by goswannies; 19th March 2018 at 09:46 AM.

14 $50k? (Guess)
    Sorry, clue above was wrong. Less than $50k

Sandridge also named Byrne, Healy & Zantuck. The other 3 yet to be named people (in answering question 6) were all associated with Melbourne during that game. The �bonus person� with a foot in both camps involved with the coverage of the game, wasn�t directly involved with either club that day.

The bonus person is of course Bobby Skilton having coached Melbourne (I recall a game at the Lakeside Oval when Skilton was Melbourne coach, receiving an arousing applause from the Swans faithful as he strode along the boundary line making his way to the coach's bench). I had to look up the team lists for that match to pluck out Adrian Battinson & David Cordner but for the life of me can't work out the 6th player.

Forgot that I have a copy of this game from the "Sydney 25 years" dvd set which I whisked through to answer the remaining questions (hope you don't mind?)

Wayne Carroll kicked the last goal

10k was the prize money

They were playing the Shadow Cup

Great answering KSAS (& the irony of your name isn�t lost on me with this quiz!)

This is my first post after many years following this forum & after seeing your quiz I just couldn't resist to register & answer! I was born & bred in Sth Melb, hence my KSAS name.

Less than a year out of high school, I went to this game with my Carlton loving cousin (I think the 2nd game was against The Blues and we went to that as well). I remember a big crowd that didn't quite understand the nuances. Cuz and I were often seemingly lone voices yelling "ball". Many chuckles at "white maggotts" after they realised who we were talking about and goal umpires in white coats and hats were instant crowd favourites.

I grew up in Sydney but was a big Aussie Rules (as it was called then) fan because of strong Victorian family connections. I played kick-to-kick with my brothers all the time and even dabbled in a few games for Chatswood with some mates in my teens when rugby commitments allowed. Cuz was from Melbourne but studying (and playing) at Sydney Uni. We were both cheering for "South".

Been a Bloods fan since the following year when permanent relocation occurred.

The bonus person is of course Bobby Skilton having coached Melbourne (I recall a game at the Lakeside Oval when Skilton was Melbourne coach, receiving an arousing applause from the Swans faithful as he strode along the boundary line making his way to the coach's bench). I had to look up the team lists for that match to pluck out Adrian Battinson & David Cordner
    Yup for Bobby, Cordiner & Battison (who is a lawyer now!)
    but for the life of me can't work out the 6th player. [/B]
    I was very specific in my wording of the question. The 6th person was was involved with the game, but wasn�t necessarily a player

Forgot that I have a copy of this game from the "Sydney 25 years" dvd set which I whisked through to answer the remaining questions (hope you don't mind?)
    It�s all in the spirit good work on watching it again - in which case the scores for question 1?

Wayne Carroll kicked the last goal
    Good to see you got to the end of the game to answer that one

10k was the prize money
    Correct

They were playing the Shadow Cup
    Correct - far as I can tell, the only way to know that is to watch the DVD I think. Wonder where that cup is now?

This is my first post after many years following this forum & after seeing your quiz I just couldn't resist to register & answer! I was born & bred in Sth Melb, hence my KSAS name.
    Glad it brought you back to the fold.

... oh, and question 15?
    Last edited by goswannies; 19th March 2018 at 07:49 PM.

1/ Final scores were Swans 20 17 137 def Melbourne 16 12 108

6/ Just realised the 7th person involved was Ron Barassi of course, who took over from Brett Scott (that was the close hint you had given me). Can't believe I had missed that one!

9/ Sandridge had earlier correctly answered John Roberts, but to answer the second part of that question he kicked 4 goals & 1 point from his 5 disposals (all shots on goal).

15/ Mark Browning had the leading 35 disposals because his team mates fed him the ball at every opportunity due to his long racking left boot! (wide receiver).

Think we've answered the lot now? Good quiz Goswannies. Watching the match again after such a long time, i'd forgotten all about the Shadow Cup and also had chuckle at the start of the game when they also played "God Save the Queen" after "Advanced Australia Fair". I don't recall that being the norm back then?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

The bonus person is of course Bobby Skilton having coached Melbourne (I recall a game at the Lakeside Oval when Skilton was Melbourne coach, receiving an arousing applause from the Swans faithful as he strode along the boundary line making his way to the coach's bench). I had to look up the team lists for that match to pluck out Adrian Battinson & David Cordner but for the life of me can't work out the 6th player.
    ]
    I was at that game too, KSAS, and remember clearly the ovation Bobby received as he walked around the ground to the Melbourne coaching bench. I recall my Uncle calling out at half time, "You'll have to pull the boots on for 'em Bobby!" as we were well in front of Bobby's Demons at that stage and we went on to have a comfortable win!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I was at that game too, KSAS, and remember clearly the ovation Bobby received as he walked around the ground to the Melbourne coaching bench. I recall my Uncle calling out at half time, "You'll have to pull the boots on for 'em Bobby!" as we were well in front of Bobby's Demons at that stage and we went on to have a comfortable win!
    Sensational Sandridge! It's amazing how moments like that stays with us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12