Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port Adelaide

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    All these theories re Newman. Have we even considered that sometimes the selectors just get it wrong. They are human.
    They'll be wrong if Ollie is a low possession getter and we get beaten!

Will the playing group and coaches be right if Ollie stops the players that he tags from having an influence on the game?

Even if Ollie only has 2 disposals ?

Even if we lose?

Even if we win?

Ollie is not picked for his disposals as yet ...... that is obvious otherwise other players would be picked way ahead of him like Nic

I think on the forum we tend to fall into the trap of making the team selection about best players

Obviously the snr playing group and coaches have different criteria

What that criteria is ........ is fascinating

I�m embracing the fact that we are able to have a discussion whereby we obviously have at least 26 players on our list who could easily play in other team�s starting 18. Newman is a good player. So is Florent. I�d personally have dropped McVeigh and he is a legend of the club. At the end of the day, I don�t think the selection between Newman and Florent will be the difference between a win and loss.

I thought Florent was good in the two JLT games and he may be doing well in training. So the coaching staff could be making selection decisions on more than just the West Coast game.

Also I would not mind there being more routine rotation of our bottom four. So that Fox/Newman not being selected one week does not mean they are out of favour and have to prove themselves. And you can bring in someone like Dawson or Stoddart for a one off game.

And even last year, if someone like Aliir is behind Melican you can still select him on the bench for a game late in the season to keep him involved.
    Last edited by SeanM; 31st March 2018 at 10:47 AM.

While not a fan of it, I can see why the selection panel kept McVeigh in the side. Much like Goodes in his last few years it'll take a few games for McVeigh to warm up.

Newman being dropped and Ollie keeping his place is much more confusing

Regular in the Side
    Sometimes selectors use the wrong criteria. It is another sport but I remember Rod Marsh explaining why they picked one test wonder Joe Mennie over Jackson Bird. It was because they were wanting to strengthen the lower order batting! They were both fast bowlers. Let alone that after that Bird was making more runs than Mennie. After that ridiculous explanation Rod Marsh was gone as a test cricket selector.

I am worried about this game for a number of reasons. Where is Rohan's head at? Will McVeigh keep up with the Port speedsters? Port have brought in some genuine star poer with Watts, Rockliff, Motlop and Barry. Their big loss is Ryder which has meant Howard moving into ruck which leaves Clurey or Jonas to pick up Buddy. Hopefully a win for the Swans there. The bookies have the Swans hot favourites but I remember that the Power thrashed us in Round 1 at the SCG last year and they look even better this year.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I know Port have named Howard in the ruck but I can�t see him playing there after his solid game in defence last week. I expect Westhoff to be first ruck with support from Dixon and Watts

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    While not a fan of it, I can see why the selection panel kept McVeigh in the side. Much like Goodes in his last few years it'll take a few games for McVeigh to warm up.
    That, plus IMO if a fit McVeigh gets dropped, that's pretty much his career done.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Sometimes selectors use the wrong criteria.
    And sometimes coaches/selectors know more about what they want from a team than posters on a message board.

There's an awful lot of teeth gnashing about the last player picked in the side, especially considering the commonly stated view that we have 26 or so (at least) very capable players. I reckon ABSwannie has made the most astute comment thus far in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    At the end of the day, I don�t think the selection between Newman and Florent will be the difference between a win and loss.

I like Newman, but Ollie and Hayward have a lot more upside and they should both be better players in the not too distant future. By playing them now, we are accelerating the process. Maybe we lose a little at the beginning, but the result will be better by time the finals roll around.

Agree with AB Swannie and Liz that one player isn't going to make that much difference.

It's interesting trying to unravel the selection strategy with only 1 game to go on. I got used to Longmire going the conservative route with selection, but maybe things are changing. We seem intent on transitioning to a quicker more skillful team with the draft choices we've made, so why not back that up at the selection table?

While mcveigh is still getting a game, the selection process is "conservative"

Regular in the Side
    A team is only as strong as its weakest link and at this stage of their careers I believe Newman to be a stronger player than Florent. Against the eagles Newman had 19 disposals at 68.4% while Florent had just six at 100%. Not Newman's best game but still far more involved and stronger than Florent. In time I think Florent will be the better player but he is not there yet. I am nowhere near as confident as the bookies in this game who have the Swans hot favourites. Hope they bear that out.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast