Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port Adelaide

Changes for Rnd 2 V Port Adelaide

I think it is time to start discussing next week.

Potentially, we have Hanners, Rohan, Reid, and Aliir all available to come into the team this round. I suspect 4 changes may be too many in one go with Aliir having to come through the NEAFL. The players likely to be dropped are between Florent, Cunningham, Fox, Newman, and McVeigh. Personally, I'd keep Fox and Newman but wouldn't be disappointed with a combination of others.

My team would go something like this:

B Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Lewis Melican
    HB Jake Lloyd, Dane Rampe, Callum Mills
    C Zak Jones, Josh P. Kennedy, Dan Hannebery
    HF George Hewett, Lance Franklin, Will Hayward
    F Tom Papley, Sam Reid, Kieren Jack
    FOL Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney

I/C Gary Rohan, Dean Towers, Nic Newman, Robbie Fox

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar

Changes for Rnd 2 V Port Adelaide

Florent look out of sorts.

Some good things but possessions way down.

Can not see why we gave up a first round pick for him; looks very ordinary.

Would like to see Fox given another try, his pre-season form has been exceptional.

McVeigh look like an old man and should go to coaching box.

OUT: Florent, McVeigh

IN: Reid Hannas.

A Jones really needs a spell in the twos; his skills levels and fitness looks way down!
    doof-doof

Half the Swans team looked a bit average on Sunday - the skills were pretty rusty. I'm counting Jones, Towers, Hayward, Newman and a couple of others in that list. They did improve as the game went on so maybe it's not necessary for wholesale changes. Quite a few teams showed the same thing over the weekend.

At least one of Reid or Rohan needs to come in (preferably Reid). Hayward loses his spot I think, even though I love him.

Hannebery comes in as well if he's fit, at the expense of Newman.

I'm a believer in Towers, but it wasn't his best game on Sunday. The problem is we need him as a back-up ruckman as I don't think Ludwig has Aliir quite ready yet, even if he is fit, so I think he keeps his spot.

Jones and Florent we persevere with. I think they'll both come good with more game time.

Regular in the Side
    [QUOTE=Beerman;745540

. Hayward loses his spot I think, even though I love him.

.[/QUOTE]
    I know he got his 2 goals right at the end of the game but he still had 21 disposals and 5 marks.
    Florent had 6 and none.
    I think Hayward will keep his spot this week.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Florent look out of sorts.

Some good things but possessions way down.

Can not see why we gave up a first round pick for him; looks very ordinary.
    Geez that's a bit harsh on a young second year player who certainly has shown good skills, and has decent pace which we all agree we've needed.

Fell free to revisit the 2016 draft and tell us who we should have taken in his place. Apart from Powell-Pepper and a few others, he seems to be on a similar trajectory to others high up in that draft.

Incredibly harsh, FFS he is only in his second season

I would minimise changes. Fox for Hanners and Florent for Reid.

I really like both Fox and Florent so would hurt to see them out of the team but there is no one else.

Cunningham to keep Rohan out of the team for another week but needs a good game.

Senior Player
    I was surprised after the game to see Florent only had 6 possessions; he seemed more involved.

I thought it was a step forward. He's clearly got class, but still seems to lack a little confidence which manifests in not seizing as much ball as he otherwise might. I agree with Ludwig's comment that we need to get games into him; I suspect the coaches intend this. Hopefully for him (and us) he breaks out soon; he seems a good lad.

I understand where concern for a Florent comes from because one doesn�t always see value right now and should someone else take his role ?

Some weeks I see that in Others also in our squad

For me I see Florent like Lloyd in development

Critical players for the future that need to play as much snr footy now to be ready for finals footy 2018

Lots of supporters got so angry over lloyd initially being to stand offish and or pushed off or weak in tackles yet he is a gem and player last year described by Alistair Clarkson as one of Sydney�s best.

Courage and importance is measured differently by coaches sometimes.

Shutting down space
    Nullifying critical opposition transition players
    2nd and third efforts
    Tackles
    Slowing down play
    Creating options
    Boring stuff and hard to spot on first take but incremental change can gain momentum and I saw things liked yest re Florent

I see Florent exactly the same as a young lloyd. All class potential yet still finding his feet via run with roles that are boring and not easy when tagging some of the best each week.

The kid was on the ball directing the show in the juniors.... totally different role now
    New challenge
    Future star

Agree with Auntie and others about Florent.

There was so much criticism of Lloyd in his first run of senior footy. Same with Hewett. So many questioning why he was getting a game. They finished 2nd and 5th respectively in the B&F last year. Now everyone loves them.

We have to look at what Florent, and Hayward as well, offer for this stage of their development, which involves skills, as well as physical and mental development. Both seem very advanced to me in all areas except physical development. Lloyd was similar. He was very committed and mentally tough, but simply not strong enough to mix it with the big guys. He's growing into it now.

It's hard to decide how much senior game time to give them when there are options available that might produce better short term results for a team seriously looking to win a premiership.

We have to back our development group. They've done such a great job bringing through players of all types to play a high level of AFL footy.

At this stage of the game we should be looking at the kinds of things that Florent and Hayward can do. They are both very classy footballers. Once they get the physical strength and experience to win more of the ball, we will see them explode on to the AFL scene.

I don't get the criticism of Jones.

He plays hard and intense, and with plenty of dare. IMO, he's an integral part of our midfield makeup.

He was right in amongst it when the game was at it's most intense...when it mattered.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

If Reid missed because of a hamstring, he won't be available.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast