Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caro on Goodes

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I believe there are two in the works. One is Netflix and the other is Australian - both dealing with the racism in his treatment I understand.
    It will be good for the public record if these documentaries turn out to be quality pieces of investigative journalism with thoughtful, detailed commentary of the horrors that unfolded. Much like the SBS series "Go Back where you came from", it may change some people's opinions.

I'd like to be optimistic. However, I mostly fear it will also unleash a new round of vitriolic vituperation against Adam.

I don't know if I can cope with having to hear all those false claims again that the great man is worth booing, that he is a cheat, a stager, a child abuser, an over-rated whinger who abused his undeserved position as Australian of the Year to bring attention to himself through race politics. None of which is supported in any manner by fact.

The man is a rock, so, I am sure he can retain peace in the warm, reverential embrace of the Swans family and focus on making a difference through his wonderful work with the GO Foundation. However, as much as I'd love it to be different - by any measure he deserves to be stationed in the highest echelons of the game - I can't see a road back to the broad AFL hearth for him.

While there are some non-Swans supporters who are as appalled as anyone at his treatment, haters - and there are plenty of them - are gunna hate for evermore.

Unfortunately, even in 10, 20 or 30 years time if/when he pops his head up, some Gopher hunter is going to whack him with a wooden mallet. That's Straya for ya. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry for the downer tone of this post but this one still hurts me big time.

Yes, Swansongster.
    Yes.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post

I'd like to be optimistic. However, I mostly fear it will also unleash a new round of vitriolic vituperation against Adam.
    It possibly - nay, probably - will, but have faith. In the longer term his actions will be judged favourably. I am confident of that.

One of the arguments often put forward against Goodes was that both Long and Winmar are revered for the stands they took against racism on the football field, so the fact that Goodes wasn't universally applauded must prove that his stand was self-serving or inappropriate. It's actually not the case that Long and Winmar were widely congratulated at the time. I've read comments from both of them that the support they received was guarded and not universal. Most will have heard McAlister's comment about indigenous Australians being welcome in the game so long as they conduct themselves like white people (Nicky Winmar�s stand | National Museum of Australia), and I've heard Long talk about the hate mail that he received after he made his stand against vilification by an opponent. Yet nowadays, even those who still refuse to acknowledge racism is a real issue in the game and in society hold up the two incidents as iconic moments in the game.

It will take far longer than you or I wish it would take, but I am confident that eventually the game (meaning the administration, supporters, clubs) will come to realise what an awful blight the whole saga was.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It possibly - nay, probably - will, but have faith. In the longer term his actions will be judged favourably. I am confident of that.
    Yes, Liz, I've got no doubt that Goodes' legacy will be that, in the long term, the whole saga will be seen as a watershed in Australian race relations. Fifty years from now his name will be as revered as Eddie Mabo, and the image of his "war dance" will be as iconic as the pic of Winmar taunting the crowd with his skin-colour. I just hope he returns to the AFL fold and forces them to confront the insidious racism that taints the game.

The idea that Winmar and Long were "revered" for the stands they took is cynically revisionist. I lived through that period, and my impression matched McAlister's: the AFL was, and still is, only interested in indigenous "Uncle Toms".

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Reading the article reminds me of the great anger and disgust I felt at the time. I have zero tolerance for those who suggested that there were other factors associated with the booing. It was pure 100% nasty, disrespectful racism.

My biggest regret in 2015 was not to stand up to those I knew personally such as some of my Western Australian in-laws, several of whom were attacking Adam and defending the booing. 2015 was personally a very emotional year for me, my beloved wife, (who was also my mother-in-law�s daughter), died in the June. Perhaps it was wise to then keep my counsel and remain diplomatic with the WA members of her family. Emotions were very raw.

Now in 2018 I cannot no longer sustain such expressions of calm tolerance. If the subject is raised again I will not hold back. Adam Goodes is a great Australian, a worthy Australian of the Year. The AFL as well as the Hawthorn and West Coast Football Clubs should hang their heads in deep shame for their pathetic inaction in 2015. ,
    Sad to hear this, we can easily overlook the possibility that at any time, one of us could be going through a lot of pain. Hope you�re good Top40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Veterans List
    Waleed Aly will be interviewing Adam on The Project tonight on what he has been up to since retiring......I'm sure they will touch on the booing as well, maybe not but it should be good viewing.

Its sad that the booing is what goodes is most famous for( outside footy circles)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    It will be good for the public record if these documentaries turn out to be quality pieces of investigative journalism with thoughtful, detailed commentary of the horrors that unfolded. Much like the SBS series "Go Back where you came from", it may change some people's opinions.

I don't know if I can cope with having to hear all those false claims again that the great man is worth booing, that he is a cheat, a stager, a child abuser, an over-rated whinger who abused his undeserved position as Australian of the Year to bring attention to himself through race politics. None of which is supported in any manner by fact.

The man is a rock, so, I am sure he can retain peace in the warm, reverential embrace of the Swans family and focus on making a difference through his wonderful work with the GO Foundation. However, as much as I'd love it to be different - by any measure he deserves to be stationed in the highest echelons of the game - I can't see a road back to the broad AFL hearth for him.

While there are some non-Swans supporters who are as appalled as anyone at his treatment, haters - and there are plenty of them - are gunna hate for evermore.

Unfortunately, even in 10, 20 or 30 years time if/when he pops his head up, some Gopher hunter is going to whack him with a wooden mallet. That's Straya for ya. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry for the downer tone of this post but this one still hurts me big time.
    I fear you are 100% correct Swansongster......Bogan Australians with an 'axe' to grind are a stubbornly dumb bunch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12