Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 18 Swans v Suns, SCG, 21 July 2018 @SydneySwans #SwansSuns

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Evil things happen when good men do nothing.......so NO, that 'can of worms' stays open, or the GF will end up at the 'G forever. By all means, you can 'lie down' and accept Vic bias and corruption if you like.....
    The MCC/AFL Grand Final contract is written and enclosed in QC proof Chubb safe type steel.
    I think till into the 40S.
    Unfair, discriminatory to non Vic teams, massive advantage to Rich, Coll and other home ground teams...All true...and all whistling in the wind.
    No chance of change. Just put it aside.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    The MCC/AFL Grand Final contract is written and enclosed in QC proof Chubb safe type steel.
    I think till into the 40S.
    Unfair, discriminatory to non Vic teams, massive advantage to Rich, Coll and other home ground teams...All true...and all whistling in the wind.
    No chance of change. Just put it aside.

It’s a long time of fruitless complaining ahead it seems

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Evil things happen when good men do nothing.......so NO, that 'can of worms' stays open, or the GF will end up at the 'G forever. By all means, you can 'lie down' and accept Vic bias and corruption if you like.....
    I’ll exercise my right to lay down and relax on this one then. If there are a few comparable sized stadiums Australia-wide by 2056, I’ll join your chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I know I got a few mentions on here so I'll address them

Yes I've cooled down, but I don't rescind my post about booing them off. I think the performance deserved it, I'm not suggesting anything worse like some of the feral clubs put out (i.e. verbal abuse, spitting etc.), but I think the players and club need to know that wasn't good enough. A good old boo (without abuse) is the only way to express the disappointment of the crowd

I've been a supporter since the early 80's and I've seen plenty of poor performances back in the bad old days, but at least the teams back then didn't have the talent. We are so much better on paper than Gold Coast its not funny, even with our injury list. That was just a complete lack of effort from a team who thought they could just show up to win.

I know I'll cop more negative feedback, but I think as a club our supporter base is too nice (which is a back handed insult anyway!). I don't think we make the SCG enough of a fortress, opposition clubs should hate going there and the umps should feel intimidated. It seems like opposition clubs enjoy playing at the SCG where the 19th man doesn't come into play, and the opposition team gets a good run with the umpires.

Flame away
    I guess I see booing as a form of abuse. They booed Goodsey, I interpreted that as abuse.

To me all it will achieve is potentially alienating players from their supporters (or perhaps “fans” if they aren’t offering support).

I can’t imagine that the players aren’t aware that their performance on the weekend was poor. Maybe I over rate their intelligence or self-insight? No, on reflection I’m sure Horse made them painfully aware. So if they know they were unhappy, the coach was unhappy, I suspect they will have some vibe that fans might not be happy without the need to boo.

For decades the SCG was an imposing ground that opposition feared to tread upon and the majority of the booing didn’t come from our “too nice supporters”.

You are entitled to your opinion about booing the team you supports, I just think it’s a terrible and embarrassing look and a very poor example to the next generation of Swans supporters.

Yes I've cooled down, but I don't rescind my post about booing them off. I think the performance deserved it, I'm not suggesting anything worse like some of the feral clubs put out (i.e. verbal abuse, spitting etc.), but I think the players and club need to know that wasn't good enough. A good old boo (without abuse) is the only way to express the disappointment of the crowd

I've been a supporter since the early 80's and I've seen plenty of poor performances back in the bad old days, but at least the teams back then didn't have the talent. We are so much better on paper than Gold Coast its not funny, even with our injury list. That was just a complete lack of effort from a team who thought they could just show up to win.

I know I'll cop more negative feedback, but I think as a club our supporter base is too nice (which is a back handed insult anyway!). I don't think we make the SCG enough of a fortress, opposition clubs should hate going there and the umps should feel intimidated. It seems like opposition clubs enjoy playing at the SCG where the 19th man doesn't come into play, and the opposition team gets a good run with the umpires.

Flame away
    I'm not going to flame you.... I just think AFL culture in Sydney is a bit different from that in Melbourne. Yes we are nice...it's probably the beautiful weather...LOL ..I wasn't at the SCG yesterday, but I've seen similar losses, and the reaction of the members around me when we have a shocker is usually laughter...so I really think some of us take footy a little less seriously than others...but it takes all types to make a footy club, that's what makes it so much fun..

You also have a point, I think loud and frequent booing of the umpires is perfectly acceptable and should be indulged in as much as possible..

It's OK to boo them after that performance. They deserved it.
    I would have booed them... but I left with five minutes to go.
    Protested with my feet instead.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Warming the Bench
    Very ugly display
    Hard to find any rational excuses or indicators for that performance
    We were very young and inexperienced but so were they

We can look amazing with our kicking and handballs (1st qtr) then we can look plain awful (2/3/4)

To those who don't think we are finals material... who is then?
    We are sitting 4th
    Yes we are struggling but aside from Tigers who isn't
    2018 is the year that basically all teams are below par.

I will be shocked if we don't beat Essendon on Friday night
    We are a much better team and its away from home luckily for us

We will make finals and it's for the best. Absolutely no use finishing 9/10/11th

Bring in Dawson and Grundy

Cameron will be better for the run but i wouldn't play him.
    Back Sinclair one out

Re - Longmire
    I'm with the no plan B crowd
    but i understand what he has done for this club and the amazing record he has but much like our team he has to be more flexible
    Which i thought he was against North but back to his old ways against GC
    Kept waiting for the tide to change without being proactive
    Would loved to see Alir forward even though he was doing such a good job down back
    but you have to try and win at some stage

Regular in the Side
    For the last few years now I have been happier when the opposition kicks the firsst goal. It sends a message to the players that they have to knuckle down and work harder. Against the Suns we were hot favourites to have a percentage boosting win and at quarter time were coasting to one. The players got lazy and tried to be too cute and then got rattled as they got overhauled and passed by the Suns who were working much harder and faster. In their panic their brains seem to switch off and our structure fell apart.

I was disappointed by Cameron but still feel that it was the right move to bring him in as Sinclair is starting to look a little worn out. Would have used him much more in ruck and had Sinclair resting at full forward a tall target more. If we break Sinclair through work overload then we will become reliant on Cameron anyway. McCartin is starting to look like he needs a break as well. Franklin was well held by Thompson and seems to have lost his spark as well.

Grundy and Dawson to come in. Not sure about AJ but he is looking better each week.

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Flame away
    Perhaps we should have spat on them as they came off, like a certain Richmond supporter. I think booing your own off the ground is near that level.

Do you really think they need to know what you think - as if they don't know already?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Perhaps we should have spat on them as they came off, like a certain Richmond supporter. I think booing your own off the ground is near that level.

Do you really think they need to know what you think - as if they don't know already?

Spitting and booing are clearly very different things and any sensible person would acknowledge that they are nowhere near the same level.

If you'd bothered to read my post instead of getting on your high horse you would have noted that, but you clearly didn't as you've almost re-quoted verbatim what I suggested should not be done.

I didn't read this thread.

I can imagine the booing arguments though.

I don't boo. The opposition, or even the umpires. Not sure why.
    But I don't mind if others do.
    People get a bit precious about this kind of thing
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    I'm not sure it is quite time throw all the toys out of the cot, sack the coach & most of the players. The reality is we are 11-and-6, and in the Top 4. And if you were
    offered that at the start of the season you'd take it. The team isn't going that well at moment (3 losses and a 2 point win in the last four weeks) but before that we
    did win six in a row. I was as surprised about Saturday as anyone, but if we are off 5% and a cellar dweller like the Suns is up 5% then we will lose. The gap between
    teams isn't as great as some people think. You'd imagine that Stuart Dew knows a few things about the Swans that other opposing coaches don't and he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't try to get his guys to exploit some of our weak spots when we aren't "on". It's like Hawthorn losing twice to Brisbane this year. I imagine Luke Hodge being at the Lions has been really helpful to them when playing Hawthorn. The biggest issue is that we are struggling against the better teams, and they are the only ones left come finals time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't think the selection of Cameron was wrong, but we should have dropped either Sinclair or McCartin, who both had poor days. We didn't use Cameron well. He played less than 50% of the game and far too little in the ruck, where he looked okay. If anything, we should have played Cameron as the 1st ruckman and Sinclair up forward.
    I guess that's what I meant: he merited selection, but playing so many bigs unsettled what had been working for us. We do really miss Reid leading back along the wings to connect with the rebounds.