Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 21 Swans v Melbourne, MCG, Sun 12 Aug 3:20pm @SydneySwans #AFLDeesSwans

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Buddy booing feels like it's at a tipping point where it could go the way of Goode's booing.
    ReallY?

I saw it simply as reaction to hard bumps that whilst legal, were pretty rough.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Re the booing of Buddy, Peter Lalor sums it up in today’s Australian:

“(some) opposition supporters are the lowest form of pond life. “

In this case however he was actually talking about AJ and the fact that even Dees supporters were gutted for him.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Is it just me that finds AA mystifying?

From 2016 PF through till mid way through this season it wasn’t clear he would stay on our list.

He has had an exceptional month or so of footy and looks one of the best defenders in the comp.

What went wrong in 2017?
    Simple, for some inexplicable he wasn't being selected

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    So, the crowd booed and jeered Buddy once again yesterday. The thing that I noticed in it more than anything else is the vitriol associated with it.

When Buddy was beaten for the ball during the last quarter (from a kick sent over the back to space), the crowd heckled Buddy and celebrated his loss rather than cheered their own player and his victory. Some people really like to bring others down - it is bizarre.
    Noticed that its been quite prevalent this season, but the Hawks crowd also booed Ablett on the weekend without any good reason so I wouldn't read too much into it

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post

Hahah brilliant by Lloyd :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    So, the crowd booed and jeered Buddy once again yesterday. The thing that I noticed in it more than anything else is the vitriol associated with it.

When Buddy was beaten for the ball during the last quarter (from a kick sent over the back to space), the crowd heckled Buddy and celebrated his loss rather than cheered their own player and his victory. Some people really like to bring others down - it is bizarre.
    That sort of crap absolutely pisses me off no end. MFC try and sell themselves as 'classier' fans per say, but then go on with rubbish like that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    The Swans have never been ones for gifting games to players, and Aliir had an awfully plagued 2017 where a lot of things went wrong - he is still inexperienced overall at AFL level, and the Swans were willing to wait and let him recover his form before throwing him in the deep end (Though the early selection this year was a bit strange, only to play him up forward and seemingly throw all confidence out the window).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

- - - Updated - - -
    Noticed that its been quite prevalent this season, but the Hawks crowd also booed Ablett on the weekend without any good reason so I wouldn't read too much into it
    I reckon the Ablett booing was for the blatant dive?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

The Swans have never been ones for gifting games to players, and Aliir had an awfully plagued 2017 where a lot of things went wrong - he is still inexperienced overall at AFL level, and the Swans were willing to wait and let him recover his form before throwing him in the deep end (Though the early selection this year was a bit strange, only to play him up forward and seemingly throw all confidence out the window).
    I think that early game to Aliir was out of desperation. We were struggling with not having a second tall forward option (and this was while Buddy was most hampered by his foot injury but still playing). His NEAFL form hadn't been that great at the start of the year and it was almost certainly a mistake throwing him into an unfamiliar role. I think the club did the right thing in abandoning the experiment after just a week.

As for last year, his NEAFL form was never that good, quite likely the result of an injury hampered pre-season. I think fans often underestimate the importance of a solid pre-season in setting players up for a strong season of football.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think that early game to Aliir was out of desperation. We were struggling with not having a second tall forward option (and this was while Buddy was most hampered by his foot injury but still playing). His NEAFL form hadn't been that great at the start of the year and it was almost certainly a mistake throwing him into an unfamiliar role. I think the club did the right thing in abandoning the experiment after just a week.

As for last year, his NEAFL form was never that good, quite likely the result of an injury hampered pre-season. I think fans often underestimate the importance of a solid pre-season in setting players up for a strong season of football.
    Agree with your post Liz, but Allir is one of those players that doesn't look great when playing reserves football. Personally I think we could have called him up earlier (both this year and last year), in any event he looks like he's cemented his spot now which is a massive win for the team.

Why are they booing Buddy?
    Jealousy, perhaps?
    What a gutsy win.
    Very happy Jan.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Agree with your post Liz, but Allir is one of those players that doesn't look great when playing reserves football. Personally I think we could have called him up earlier (both this year and last year), in any event he looks like he's cemented his spot now which is a massive win for the team.
    To some extent I agree. Quite a few players look better at higher standards of football, with more structure and better team mates around them. It's one reason why it's hard to assess outside, running players at NEAFL level, because they often don't have quality ball delivered to them, or team mates knowing where to run to be a target.

In AA's case - and particularly last year - we know he had fitness issues to go along with any form/confidence problems. I think you have to trust the club to know when a player - especially an inexperienced one - is physically ready to make the move up to senior football.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    What a fantastic victory against the odds! Disappointing we went into our shells and didn't score a goal in the last. Teams will always think they can get us if we continue to do that. Need to find a way to continue to attack when we have a lead. Still a great win though to regroup after the AJ tragedy!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    To be fair they were cooked. So i will cut them some slack. I also thought they just made some poor errors/decisions that cost us goals in the last 15mins. Which can be blamed on tiredness
    Paps/Hayward both stuffed up certain goals

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    To be fair they were cooked. So i will cut them some slack. I also thought they just made some poor errors/decisions that cost us goals in the last 15mins. Which can be blamed on tiredness
    Paps/Hayward both stuffed up certain goals
    Yep. We were spent and lucky to hang on.

But both sides made plenty of errors in the last quarter.

& how many goals did the Dees butcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Yep. We were spent and lucky to hang on.

But both sides made plenty of errors in the last quarter.

& how many goals did the Dees butcher?
    We were VERY lucky.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.