Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Finals week one

Tigers are brilliant entertainment and I won’t begrudge them being Premiers again (can’t see the Swans getting as far as the last game).
    Dusty just embodies their play-on mentality, their skill to hit targets and and the one percentage taps and deft soccers to advantage (adjusting to the wet).
    They are very slippery and elusive to shut down and all love being out there creating mayhem and scoring .
    They must be a very fit team and now they have been Lynched . Bugger.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Tigers are brilliant entertainment and I won’t begrudge them being Premiers again (can’t see the Swans getting as far as the last game).
    Dusty just embodies their play-on mentality, their skill to hit targets and and the one percentage taps and deft soccers to advantage (adjusting to the wet).
    They are very slippery and elusive to shut down and all love being out there creating mayhem and scoring .
    They must be a very fit team and now they have been Lynched . Bugger.
    Saw the Tiges Swans game at Eithad earlier this year and their run even at the end of the game was amazing. Was shocked me was seeing Nankervis run Sinclair into the ground; I'd always imagined Sinclair to be fit/mobile - looked like a log compared to Toby.

Veteran Site Admin
    They must be a very fit team
    Their fitness - in relative terms, relative to other teams - is an interesting question. I've read someone on here (sorry, can't remember who) observe that their game style conserves energy, which is one of the reasons why they seem to run out games some strongly. Certainly, when a team doesn't turn over the ball at will (as our boys are wont to do at times), they have to spend less energy chasing back up the ground. And we know it takes far less mental and physical energy to run offensively than defensively (well, mental anyway).

They do seem to have been relatively fortunate with injuries this year (and last), certainly compared to the carnage that some other teams have copped. I am sure several of their boys are tired and sore at this time of year, but they don't seem to have many key players obviously carrying injuries that are slowing them down. Compare the amount of tape on Tiger's players to that the Swans are decked out in (and we can't even see what, if anything, is protecting Buddy's heel).

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I really enjoyed the insights provided by this ABC article yesterday on Richmond's tactics, in particular their focus on turnovers.

The secret to Richmond's success: how the Tigers lay a trap that AFL rivals can't help falling into - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It was backed up by James Hird this morning in his podcast where he said the Tigers are the best team in setting up for the long kick down the line, and that to beat them Hawthorn had to risk the quick option inside to the corridor, which they failed to do consistently enough. He said that although the inboard kick is inherently risky, he didn't think it was any worse than kicking it down the line against the Tigers because they're likely to win the ball there anyway, whereas the option down the middle could open up better opportunities.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I really enjoyed the insights provided by this ABC article yesterday on Richmond's tactics, in particular their focus on turnovers.

The secret to Richmond's success: how the Tigers lay a trap that AFL rivals can't help falling into - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It was backed up by James Hird this morning in his podcast where he said the Tigers are the best team in setting up for the long kick down the line, and that to beat them Hawthorn had to risk the quick option inside to the corridor, which they failed to do consistently enough. He said that although the inboard kick is inherently risky, he didn't think it was any worse than kicking it down the line against the Tigers because they're likely to win the ball there anyway, whereas the option down the middle could open up better opportunities.
    And that's probably how the Dogs got so close to beating the Tigers in round 23, though it's also highly likely that the Tigers weren't completely switched on in that game, having already secured the minor premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    And that's probably how the Dogs got so close to beating the Tigers in round 23, though it's also highly likely that the Tigers weren't completely switched on in that game, having already secured the minor premiership.
    Geelong used this game plan as well, even though it was not their natural style, and also came close to winning. The Bulldogs and Essendon play a similar game style to Richmond, but are just not as good at it.

I think we would like to play this way as well, but are still a few years off getting there. The old style players are nearing retirement and the younger Swans need some more time to develop their games. But we're heading in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

Its probably true. But I dont think its an options the Hawks could have tried last night as the wet weather quadrupled the risk of inboard kicks.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    ... the one percentage taps and deft soccers to advantage ...
    And it helps that the umpires never called kicking in danger. Kinda like not seeing the Bulldogs sliding in '16
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    And it helps that the umpires never called kicking in danger. Kinda like not seeing the Bulldogs sliding in '16
    I think I recall one from last night, early in the game. But I think it went in favour of the Tigers, not against.

I’m going for The Dees tonite, because Max Gawn is a cool human...
    heard on the radio his house backs onto (and his garage) a fairly busy street in some suburb, Earlmore, something like that ....
    and he will open his Garage door set up a table and serve free coffee to any passers by and chew the fat.
    Also for Neale Daniher, be good for him to see a win .

Veteran Site Admin
    I’m going for The Dees tonite, because Max Gawn is a cool human...
    heard on the radio his house backs onto (and his garage) a fairly busy street in some suburb, Earlmore, something like that ....
    and he will open his Garage door set up a table and serve free coffee to any passers by and chew the fat.
    Also for Neale Daniher, be good for him to see a win .
    I also find the Demons far more palatable than the Cats. That's not hard, not when a Scott coaches the Cats and their team is full of whiners and whingers who screw up their faces every time a free kick decision goes against them.

I am also reasonably confident the Dees will win. When was the last time the Cats managed to win a game coming off a bye, mid-season or pre-finals? And this year they don't have the double chance to give them an opportunity to regroup and go again.

You see players ( even in the first elimination final tonight) get caught with the ball, and you know that if Dusty had it he would have got it away to a team mate .