Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFLFinals 2ndEF Swans vs Giants, SCG, Sat 8 Sep 4:20pm @sydneyswans #AFLSwansGiants

I think Redsox has Orange socks on.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I think Redsox has Orange socks on.
    Sort of sounds like it......seems to be a bit of a Toby fan.

I would have thought Greene’s outstretched foot into the body of opposing player was illegal under the current AFL Laws.

15.4.3 Permitted Contact
    Other than the Prohibited Contact identified under Law 15.4.5, a Player may make contact with another Player:

(e) if such contact is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football.

Is planting an outstretched foot into the body/face of another player ‘incidental’?

——-

15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick
    A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player.

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player
    if the Player

(h) kicks or attempts to kick an opposition Player, unless contact
    is accidentally made whilst the Player is Kicking the football;

(k) engages in rough conduct against an opposition Player which
    in the circumstances is unreasonable;

I would have thought (h) applies. And in any case it’s time the umpires applied (k) to this action before that flying foot knocks out a mouthful of an opposing player’s teeth.

———

Greene is a wonderfully skilled player. But he must, or must be forced by penalties, to get rid of this dangerous tactic.

#AFLFinals 2ndEF Swans vs Giants, SCG, Sat 8 Sep 4:20pm @sydneyswans #AFLSwansGiants

Quote Originally Posted by redsox View Post
    No. The diversion is that Greene is a thug.

The reality is that he and the giants flogged the swans and there a plenty of sooks blaming the wrong thing.

And Jones is a grub as well. In the same territory. and people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones if they are upset
    That’s just plain silly.

NOBODY on this forum is blaming Greene’s outstretched kicking action whilst marking for the Swans’ dismal performance yesterday.

Senior Player
    Greene is a seriously good footy player, and his presence on the field seems to have the effect of getting his teammates going
    (GWS haven't lost a game this year when he has played). He has been doing this thing of sticking his leg out when trying to
    mark for a long time. I'm not sure it's a lot different to a player sticking their knee in another players back, and that is often
    lauded when it results in a speccy being taken. He is one of a bunch of really good players that play right on the edge of what's
    acceptable and while he is not penalised for pushing the limits of the rules, he'll keep pushing them.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Well that was maybe the worst game I’ve seen us play. Buddy got the blame for a lot of it but I only remember it getting kicked to his advantage twice.

We were hitting their spare defender on the lead lace out. Horrific F50 entries.

I stand by my comments from a few weeks back regarding Greene being their most influential player. He’s a grub and has the most whackable face in footy but he’s an unbelievably good player

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Greene is a seriously good footy player, and his presence on the field seems to have the effect of getting his teammates going
    (GWS haven't lost a game this year when he has played). He has been doing this thing of sticking his leg out when trying to
    mark for a long time. I'm not sure it's a lot different to a player sticking their knee in another players back, and that is often
    lauded when it results in a speccy being taken. He is one of a bunch of really good players that play right on the edge of what's
    acceptable and while he is not penalised for pushing the limits of the rules, he'll keep pushing them.
    ....and who could trust the AFL, the caretakers of this great game, to see the blinking obvious....that this is a dirty and dangerous tactic that only one player does. If they're too gutless to do anything about it, then it's time for opposition players to target Greene with some of his own medicine. The irony of that is that when Greene has his career ended by a well placed boot.....the AFL might do something about it.

....and to those who keep calling Greene a 'great' player, he is not. Greatness includes the traits of fairness and integrity. Greene has neither.....

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    We have been a great side for many years but it's performances like these in big games that makes you embarrassed to follow these blokes...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    embarrassed?? It’s footy - it’s not life, death or Carlton. Sure we lost, it’s not ideal but I am never embarrassed to support this club.

Although I do feel like a Carlton supporter right now #theresalways2019

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I would have thought Greene’s outstretched foot into the body of opposing player was illegal under the current AFL Laws.

15.4.3 Permitted Contact
    Other than the Prohibited Contact identified under Law 15.4.5, a Player may make contact with another Player:

(e) if such contact is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football.

Is planting an outstretched foot into the body/face of another player ‘incidental’?

——-

15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick
    A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player.

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player
    if the Player

(h) kicks or attempts to kick an opposition Player, unless contact
    is accidentally made whilst the Player is Kicking the football;

(k) engages in rough conduct against an opposition Player which
    in the circumstances is unreasonable;

I would have thought (h) applies. And in any case it’s time the umpires applied (k) to this action before that flying foot knocks out a mouthful of an opposing player’s teeth.

———

Greene is a wonderfully skilled player. But he must, or must be forced by penalties, to get rid of this dangerous tactic.
    Yes, it would be hard to make the argument that it's incidental contact, when it seems that the whole point of sticking the boot out, is to make contact with the opposition player, and thus keeping them away from the ball. The fact that it happened four times in one match, also suggests that it wasn't incidental. To try and argue otherwise, could be best summed up by the old Dennis Cometti saying, "That's ambitious".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Although I do feel like a Carlton supporter right now #theresalways2019
    Well, I could probably get you one, at a cost. But I'm not sure what you would want to do with a Carlton supporter?

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    So you think those who are rightly complaining about Greene's dirty kicking tactic actually think that was the reason we lost the game? That's a reach if ever I've seen one.....and are you really actually implying Greene isn't a thug but just a fine footy player?
    He is a great player ( with real mongrel) and anyone here who thinks that he would not make the swans a better team is misguided. Watch last nights game for exhibit A of a team who needs more forward options.

I have a long history of redandwhite and watched a lot of footy. Not many displayed ‘the bloods’ spirit last nite but Toby Greene plays to win

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox View Post
    He is a great player ( with real mongrel) and anyone here who thinks that he would not make the swans a better team is misguided. Watch last nights game for exhibit A of a team who needs more forward options.

I have a long history of redandwhite and watched a lot of footy. Not many displayed ‘the bloods’ spirit last nite but Toby Greene plays to win
    Toby Greene, your hero, is a dick who doesn't pass our clubs 'no dickhead' ethos. I don't care how 'good' he is or how 'mongrel' he is.....I would hate him playing for our club.