Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFLGF Pies v Eagles

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Burra View Post
    Where should it be played then? Castlemaine?????
    Oh that's constructive..... Obviously at the home ground of the highest team......a massive crowd shouldn't be the measure of a venue merits. BTW, where do you live? Jolimont or Richmond?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Would like to hear the opinion of others about the goal involving the Collingwood runner. The runner was apparently distraught after the game but, to me, it seemed he was a bit unlucky and was a victim of the Collingwood player's decision to kick the ball in his direction, especially seeing that the kick was going to a single Collingwood player who was close to 2 Eagle opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Would like to hear the opinion of others about the goal involving the Collingwood runner. The runner was apparently distraught after the game but, to me, it seemed he was a bit unlucky and was a victim of the Collingwood player's decision to kick the ball in his direction, especially seeing that the kick was going to a single Collingwood player who was close to 2 Eagle opponents.
    It does give some merit to limiting the time runners spend on the ground (although for different reasons)

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Oh that's constructive..... Obviously at the home ground of the highest team.....a massive crowd shouldn't be the measure of a venue merits. BTW, where do you live? Jolimont or Richmond?
    Perhaps not but it should be a contributing factor. Imagine a GW$ “Home” Grand Final played at a packed Škoda Stadium / Spotless Stadium in front of 25000 fans

The fact is that, of all the current home grounds, the capacity of the MCG is unique on allowing sufficient fans to attend to create an epic atmosphere, generate maximum funding from ticket sales and allowing the maximum number of patrons (supporters, members and corporate) to attend.

MCG (Melbourne) 100,024
    Optus Stadium (Perth) 60,000
    Docklands Stadium (Melbourne) 56,347
    Adelaide Oval (Adelaide) 53,583
    SCG (Sydney) 48,000
    The Gabba (Brisbane) 42,000
    Kardinia Park (Geelong) 36,000
    Carrara Stadium (Gold Coast) 25,000
    Sydney Showground Stadium (Sydney) 25000

The MCG, is in fact, the 10th largest capacity sporting stadium in the world (excluding horse and motor racing venues). And the only Stadium in the top 10 (apart from perhaps RUNGRADO MAY DAY STADIUM) with a playing surface area suitable for AFL football ... so perhaps a neutral North Korean venue might make the MCG-objectors happy?

Like it or not, capacity and revenue will always come into the equation when it comes to Grand Final Venues.

2 solutions are: build more bigger stadiums or have the MCG in-tenanted and un-used except for finals. Neither are realistic.

And before anyone suggests that holding a 3 Stadium Finals Series eg Optus Stadium (Perth) 60,000, Docklands Stadium (Melbourne) 56,347, Adelaide Oval (Adelaide) 53,583 would yield an aggregate attendance of nearly 170,000, the would be 3 times the costs associated with holding 3 grand finals (although this would be potentially mitigated by 3x TV rights I suppose). But with the AFLPA pushing for shorter seasons, I can’t see a 3 game Grand Final Series being accepted any time soon anyway. And all of this is pointless for the next 4 decades while the MCG arrangement is in place anyway.
    Last edited by 0918330512; 30th September 2018 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I firmly believe that Yeo was odds on to mark that whether the runner interfered or not. It was a shocking decision and kick from the Collingwood supporter and the best Stephenson would’ve been able to do would have been a very late spoil but I’m not sure he would’ve got there in time.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Perhaps not but it should be a contributing factor. Imagine a GW$ “Home” Grand Final played at a packed Škoda Stadium / Spotless Stadium in front of 25000 fans

The fact is that, of all the current home grounds, the capacity of the MCG is unique on allowing sufficient fans to attend to create an epic atmosphere, generate maximum funding from ticket sales and allowing the maximum number of patrons (supporters, members and corporate) to attend.

MCG (Melbourne) 100,024
    Optus Stadium (Perth) 60,000
    Docklands Stadium (Melbourne) 56,347
    Adelaide Oval (Adelaide) 53,583
    SCG (Sydney) 48,000
    The Gabba (Brisbane) 42,000
    Kardinia Park (Geelong) 36,000
    Carrara Stadium (Gold Coast) 25,000
    Sydney Showground Stadium (Sydney) 25000

The MCG, is in fact, the 10th largest capacity sporting stadium in the world (excluding horse and motor racing venues). And the only Stadium in the top 10 (apart from perhaps RUNGRADO MAY DAY STADIUM) with a playing surface area suitable for AFL football ... so perhaps a neutral North Korean venue might make the MCG-objectors happy?

Like it or not, capacity and revenue will always come into the equation when it comes to Grand Final Venues.

2 solutions are: build more bigger stadiums or have the MCG in-tenanted and un-used except for finals. Neither are realistic.

And before anyone suggests that holding a 3 Stadium Finals Series eg Optus Stadium (Perth) 60,000, Docklands Stadium (Melbourne) 56,347, Adelaide Oval (Adelaide) 53,583 would yield an aggregate attendance of nearly 170,000, the would be 3 times the costs associated with holding 3 grand finals (although this would be potentially mitigated by 3x TV rights I suppose). But with the AFLPA pushing for shorter seasons, I can’t see a 3 game Grand Final Series being accepted any time soon anyway. And all of this is pointless for the next 4 decades while the MCG arrangement is in place anyway.
    Can't get away from the fact that it is intrinsically unfair and therefore tainted for at least the next forty years. Embarrassing insular and parochial decision. International laughing stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Can't get away from the fact that it is intrinsically unfair and therefore tainted for at least the next forty years.
    as inescapable as the fact that it ain’t gunna change for 4 decades and incessant whinging about it on RWO won’t change a thing either

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Embarrassing insular and parochial decision. International laughing stock.
    I doubt many international bodies have commented or could care where the AFL Grand Final is played.

I don’t know if anyone has pointed out that in other countries and other codes where playoffs are played at neutral venues, there are alternative stadiums of comparable size. This ensures that suitable crowds can be accomodated. Also that the populations are larger so that multiple large stadiums can be justified. As a sport, the AFL isn’t big enough and as a country Australia isn’t big enough to justify multiple MCG capacity venues.
    Last edited by 0918330512; 30th September 2018 at 08:43 AM.

Senior Player
    I'm always surprised how the ground capacity is more important than a fair game to many people. The AFL stated this week
    that 34,000 tickets went to Collingwood & West Coast supporters. That means that the other 66,000 seats went to people
    who aren't supporters of the grand final teams. So it seems the priority of squeezing in as many non-supporters as possible
    comes before a fair game.
    The signing of the forty year deal last year to play the GF at the MCG till 2057 just says it all. So even if the focus on selling
    as many corporate packages as possible remains, are there really going to be no new stadiums built in Australia in that time?
    Our population is expected to be around 60 million by then. The running of our game, it's all a bit lame sometimes.
    Last edited by KTigers; 30th September 2018 at 09:37 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'm always surprised how the ground capacity is more important than a fair game to many people. The AFL stated this week
    that 34,000 tickets went to Collingwood & West Coast supporters. That means that the other 66,000 seats went to people
    who aren't supporters of the grand final teams. So it seems the priority of squeezing in as many non-supporters as possible
    The signing of the forty year deal last year to play the GF at the MCG till 2057 just says it all. So even if the focus on selling
    as many corporate packages as possible remains, are there really going to be no new stadiums built in Australia in that time?
    Our population is expected to be around 60 million by then. The running of our game, it's all a bit lame sometimes.
    Spot on. Another potential blight on the game is the proposed 18 metre goal square simply to produce more goals for more ads. Greed at the expense of the game.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I firmly believe that Yeo was odds on to mark that whether the runner interfered or not. It was a shocking decision and kick from the Collingwood supporter and the best Stephenson would’ve been able to do would have been a very late spoil but I’m not sure he would’ve got there in time.
    Have watched it again this morning and believe you're right. The ball seemed to be underkicked and I, too, think Yeo had it covered. Once the runner realised the ball was heading his way, he did his best to get out of the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Your first sentence nails it, KT.

Senior Player
    So many aspects of life in Australia are "first world", and we expect to have it all. But sometimes the numbers are just not
    there. And so for the same reasons we'll never have a subway system like Tokyo, or the art museums of the US & Europe,
    or the balanced draw & finals series of the major US sports, it's highly unlikely we'll ever see a fair, balanced national footy
    comp for quite awhile. We lack the population, interest in footy and the money to support it. But we could try a bit harder I think.
    There just seems like there is very little effort being made at AFL HQ at the moment.

Steady on. That’s a bit too much common sense there KT for the AFL and their national comp.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast