Page 51 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Regular in the Side
    Does anyone know where our two paler shade of red Bloods are playing this year? Rose and Pink!

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Does anyone know where our two paler shade of red Bloods are playing this year? Rose and Pink!
    Pink is at North Melbourne VFL, Rose gone to South Adelaide.

This is a nice read.

‘In the lead up to the Madden Medal presentation next Thursday, the retiring class of 2019 have put together a letter to their younger selves detailing the lessons they learned during their careers. Over the next week, aflplayers.com.au will publish the letters of these players to help celebrate their achievements. Here is Sydney Swans champion Kieren Jack’s letter to his 18-year-old self. ‘

Letter to my younger self – Kieren Jack - AFL Players

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    This is a nice read.

‘In the lead up to the Madden Medal presentation next Thursday, the retiring class of 2019 have put together a letter to their younger selves detailing the lessons they learned during their careers. Over the next week, aflplayers.com.au will publish the letters of these players to help celebrate their achievements. Here is Sydney Swans champion Kieren Jack’s letter to his 18-year-old self. ‘

Thanks Meg. Great link. This is a series they have run before. Here's a good one from our forward line coach from a couple of years ago: Letter to my younger self — Steve Johnson - AFL Players.

Veterans List
    This is a nice read.

Great stuff, nicely written letter.

Kieren's obviously going fine but it sort of makes you understand why some players have such a hard time moving on after footy. The mateship in battle and everything that goes with the club and team atmosphere would be like a drug for some.

Today’s ‘Letter to my younger self’ by Nick Smith.

‘Dear Nick,

I know you’re disappointed about going to Sydney, leaving your friends and family, but it is the best thing that could ever happen to you.’

Letter to my younger self – Nick Smith - AFL Players

‘Dear Nick,

I know you’re disappointed about going to Sydney, leaving your friends and family, but it is the best thing that could ever happen to you.’

Wow. Says a lot about him, and his intense drive. Kirkesque. Miss him. Such a great bloke.

pr. dim-melb; m not f

‘Dear Nick,

Thanks for the reminder Meg.
    Great player and outstanding all round man.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I think Ted went to Xavier, and suspect X did as well..makes sense.

There was quite a Xavier contingent here at one time. Hanners was another.
    Yup both Richards boys did. As did Hanners & Matt Spangher, AJ, Dan Robinson and Josh Kennedy

Veterans List
    What's BBB doing now that his media career has stalled (due to his own stupidity)? I live in Castlemaine about 2 km's from the famous 'Castlemaine Rod Shop' (anyone who has been to the recent Summernats burn out comps will know of the "Warbird") and have recently started watching their Youtube vid's (via Cleetus McFarland).....and who is hosting some of their episodes? Big Bad Barry Hall. He does a fine job and indeed seems to know his way around cars, rods and mod's. Here's a few links:

Castlemaine Rod Shop Summernats 33, Warbird in the burnout masters and a Shoey with Cleetus! - YouTube

motorex 2019 - YouTube

Shop Talk Episode 10 - Castlemaine Rod Shop 9 inch Diffs - YouTube

PS: Just found out that BBB is a qualified mechanic and dabbles in a bit of drag racing and his Dad runs a workshop.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 13th March 2020 at 06:37 PM.

We have quite a few talented ex-players. Who knew Nick Smith was a qualified fork lift driver?

“Smith also found time to become an outstanding individual off the ground, completing a Bachelor of Economics at the University of NSW, winning the 2012 UNSW Male Athlete of the Year award and becoming a qualified forklift driver.”

McVeigh, Smith contending for revered honour

They left out Nick’s other achievement - finalist in Cleo Bachelor of Year contest in 2013.

I also think he learnt Spanish as his now-wife comes from a Spanish-speaking family. An all-round talented guy!

Ps. Luke Hodge won the Madden Medal - which is fair enough when you read his bio.

On the veteran's list
    He’s not an ex-player yet but there is a story in the HUN (behind the paywall of course) quoting Harley as saying they have plans for Bud when he retires. Interesting to know what the article said.