Page 73 of 147 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Brandon Jack has a memoir due out in August entitled "28", allegedly about "football, addiction, art, masculinity and love".

I've enjoyed his writings and articles since leaving the swans, so will be vaguely interested in this.

Another one of my more obscure swans faves, Tony Armstrong seems to be flourishing as the ABCs sports reporter

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The latest Conversations with Cal podcast episode is worth listening to. He re-lives with regular co-host Nick Davis his 4 goals against Geelong in the 05 semi and as a special treat they call Anthony Hudson to reminisce

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Ed "Cheese" Barlow was interviewed on SEN late this afternoon. He is a Physchologist now. Smart guy with a good sense of humour, came across well on radio. I remembered thinking we'd unearthed a future star after his first few games which were impressive, but ended up only playing 25 games. I'd forgotten he finished playing 1 season with the Dogs (explains his friendship with Bob Murphy which was apparent). If I remember correctly, his "Cheese" nick name came about being from Bega territory?
    You're right KSAS.

I used to teach Ed in Bega as we lived there for six years. He was a character! My recollections: he was a big personality, loved cracking up his peers and had a balanced sense of humility too (as he was a gun athlete). I think he was a Bombers' fan back then.

He changed schools for Yr 11 and 12 (I think to Vic) in order to go to a "footy school" to progress his footy and get onto the recruiting radar. I caught up with him again when he was first taken by the Swans as he came back to his family home for a bit. After the Dogs he was playing up in the NT, wasn't he? I lost contact with Ed over the years so it's good to hear he's now a psychologist.

Thanks for that insight Mark, you must've been proud when Ed got drafted by the Swans! I wasn't able to give the interview my full attention as I was busy at the time, but i do recall Ed say he was hoping to be initially drafted by the Dogs (hence his move to Vic as you'd pointed out). However had to wait to the Rookie draft before being picked up by the Swans. According to Wikipedia, Ed is now a Physchogolist at the Universiity of QLD. Here is the Podcast, which I'll get to listen properly myself as I did miss bits of it.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/player/...episode=821661

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Barlow played in the NEAFL for a bit. I think for Aspley?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The latest Conversations with Cal podcast episode is worth listening to. He re-lives with regular co-host Nick Davis his 4 goals against Geelong in the 05 semi and as a special treat they call Anthony Hudson to reminisce
    Hudson's call of that game was magnificent. He's a Geelong supporter but was able to put his allegiance aside and and give Nick Davis' heroics the commentary it deserved.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Barlow played in the NEAFL for a bit. I think for Aspley?
    He played for the Bulldogs affiliate Williamstown in the 2011 VFL Grand Final. One of his teammates that day was Brett Goodes. That Grand Final was won by Port Melbourne.
    Go Borough!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Another one of my more obscure swans faves, Tony Armstrong seems to be flourishing as the ABCs sports reporter
    He's certainly on the rise......also appears on The Project on Ten as well now. A serious talent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Hudson's call of that game was magnificent. He's a Geelong supporter but was able to put his allegiance aside and and give Nick Davis' heroics the commentary it deserved.
    Total professional! Respect.

It looks like Jude Bolton is on the next episode of You Can't Ask That; in which, ex-footballers have to answer curly questions sent in by the public. On the promo, Jude is paired with Ian Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Ed "Cheese" Barlow was interviewed on SEN late this afternoon. He is a Physchologist now. Smart guy with a good sense of humour, came across well on radio. I remembered thinking we'd unearthed a future star after his first few games which were impressive, but ended up only playing 25 games. I'd forgotten he finished playing 1 season with the Dogs (explains his friendship with Bob Murphy which was apparent). If I remember correctly, his "Cheese" nick name came about being from Bega territory?
    The next Adam Goodes, as reported at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The next Adam Goodes, as reported at the time.
    Next Brett Goodes as it turned out

Veterans List
    Attachment 2294Attachment 2295 At Sydney Writers Festival gala event last night 2 of 12 great speakers were Michael O’Loughlin and Adam Goodes. Adams’s call for action was passionate and Maj’s was funny and moving. Great representatives. Adam is now sporting a small ponytail, I can report.