Page 125 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135 ... LastLast
Results 1,489 to 1,500 of 1757

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Alternatively he might want to stay in Sydney close to family, Liz

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Alternatively he might want to stay in Sydney close to family, Liz
    Who?

McVeigh being a Pennant Hills boy, plus the ruthless way the coaches are coming and going, he may want some quality time

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    McVeigh being a Pennant Hills boy, plus the ruthless way the coaches are coming and going, he may want some quality time
    I was referring to his younger brother (as an existing member of the coaching panel).

Pure speculation, but I think Joey would be a good ressies coach.

I think Joey is every chance of becoming ressies coach when you consider how visibly involved he was with the coaching staff whilst out injured/post retirement. Sitting next to Longmire on the pine numerous times, who has great admiration of Joey.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I think Joey is every chance of becoming ressies coach when you consider how visibly involved he was with the coaching staff whilst out injured/post retirement. Sitting next to Longmire on the pine numerous times, who has great admiration of Joey.
    I think that underestimates the differences between playing and coaching. If he has an interest in moving into coaching, he's in the box seat to get a start at the Swans. But that doesn't mean he has the coaching experience or nous to take on the VFL coaching role in year one out of the game.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think that underestimates the differences between playing and coaching. If he has an interest in moving into coaching, he's in the box seat to get a start at the Swans. But that doesn't mean he has the coaching experience or nous to take on the VFL coaching role in year one out of the game.
    I threw his name up in another thread too.

The only thing I’ve wondered about is listening to a couple of his post retirement interviews, he seems deeply aware of how all consuming and obsessive coaches and assistant coaches need to be and sounded a little wary of it. Maybe I’m reading too much into what he said, but anyway.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I threw his name up in another thread too.
    The only thing I’ve wondered about is listening to a couple of his post retirement interviews, he seems deeply aware of how all consuming and obsessive coaches and assistant coaches need to be and sounded a little wary of it.
    Yep, before you know it you've started thinking of yourself as a father figure and are offering "family planning" advice to your new-found ''kids''.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    He would have to be a strong chance. When you look back on the past season, other than when Josh was in recovery mode via the VFL, he was always on the coaches bench.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    He would have to be a strong chance. When you look back on the past season, other than when Josh was in recovery mode via the VFL, he was always on the coaches bench.
    For sure. Down the track you could see either / both McVeighs and JPK in some sort of order running the shop for us.
    They are all recent players, smart fellas and not flight risks.
    Last edited by KTigers; 17th October 2022 at 08:50 AM.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I suspect that there are more great coaches (or at least successfull ones) that had mediocre careers as players, than those like Matthews who excelled at both.