Page 21 of 150 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    There is no debate. And yes, you have made your point - over and over and over again - Everything the club does is wrong, the coaches are hopeless and know so much less than you, and making the finals virtually every year in this century is no measure of competence or success.

The negativity on RWO by some posters wears on a bloke. Hate to see what these people would write about teams they don't support. But maybe I'm being sucked in by trolls.

Nothing personal in all this, I just don't understand.
    Also getting sick of the "quick to condemn brigade". Loyalty seems to be an obsolete virtue. Seems instant gratification is compulsory. Form of therapy I guess.

Veterans List
    Enough of the Monday Quarterback rubbish please. Gaz was tried as a leading forward and didn't cut the mustard. Most people on here called for his trade.
    I respect your opinion TBC, but don't agree we gave Rohan a reasonable run as a leading forward. I feel there were odd games he played that role and performed well, both leading out of the goal square and crashing packs as a contested mark, but my recollection is we didn't stick with it. I recall being a bit miffed by that at the time, as it always seemed his most dangerous position.

I am surprised Scott reckons he was surprised by Rohan's self-assessment as a good mark as that always seemed clear. It speaks to his own attention levels, but also the infrequent occasions he was played as a leading forward.

I know this sounds like expertise after the fact, but it is how I felt at the time.

As for Gleeson's piece, The Age podcast reveals his comparatively shallow analysis of the Swans. It is impressionistic compared with the Melbourne clubs. I regard his piece as a hot take.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I respect your opinion TBC, but don't agree we gave Rohan a reasonable run as a leading forward. I feel there were odd games he played that role and performed well, both leading out of the goal square and crashing packs as a contested mark, but my recollection is we didn't stick with it. I recall being a bit miffed by that at the time, as it always seemed his most dangerous position.

I am surprised Scott reckons he was surprised by Rohan's self-assessment as a good mark as that always seemed clear. It speaks to his own attention levels, but also the infrequent occasions he was played as a leading forward.

I know this sounds like expertise after the fact, but it is how I felt at the time.

As for Gleeson's piece, The Age podcast reveals his comparatively shallow analysis of the Swans. It is impressionistic compared with the Melbourne clubs. I regard his piece as a hot take.
    Chris Scott fancies himself as an intellectual and guru. His finals record at Geelong is embarrassing since he inherited Bomber Thompson's team in 2011. Longmire's finals record far superior. Let's see how Cats go in September again.

There is no debate. And yes, you have made your point - over and over and over again - Everything the club does is wrong, the coaches are hopeless and know so much less than you, and making the finals virtually every year in this century is no measure of competence or success.

The negativity on RWO by some posters wears on a bloke. Hate to see what these people would write about teams they don't support. But maybe I'm being sucked in by trolls.

Nothing personal in all this, I just don't understand.
    Oh yes. Oh yes.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    We had Papley and Ronke in the forward line and they were also pressure forwards. They were able to find the ball and kick goals.

Over the years there were games where Rohan produced like he has at Geelong, but unfortunately he was never consistent and that's what frustrated us fans because we knew what he was capable of.

I'm glad he's found his confidence at Geelong and I wish him the best.
    I'm with you Mel. I don't see a conflict between being a pressure forward and kicking goals. Even Buddy is pretty decent at applying defensive pressure when he sets his mind to it.

And as you point out, it's not a surprise that he can mark the ball strongly and kick truly. He did that plenty of times for us, albeit he never found quite such a rich vein of form as he is currently in.

I hope for his sake it continues (particularly while the Swans aren't really contending) but it's also a very small sample size of games, and in a team playing exceptionally well. His contributions were never really in question when we were winning and winning comfortably.

I am also on record (at last year's trade time) as expressing disappointment and a little confusion over his trading, with the qualification that I had no insight into his frame of mind or need/desire to be with family. My disappointment was largely predicated on the fact it seemed to be the club initiating the trade, rather than him. Still, plenty of players find that a change of scenery rejuvenates them, and that's likely a contributing factor to Gary's form.

Rohan is still not racking up big possession numbers and if you factor in the greater number of inside 50's geelong have compared to us, his performance is probably not significantly higher than his best at the swans.

One thing I did note about his time at Sydney was his positioning was 'terrible'. 'Terrible' in the sense that he would go to positions that the ball was very unlikely to end up.
    But if he was directed to do that by the coaching staff, then that explains it to some degree.
    But even if he was playing the defensive forward role, he must still not meeting the swans objectives because he hardly got a game in 2018.

It all reeks of a combination of Rohan being a player that suits only a certain type of role (free running forward), and Geelong can offer that type of role, and Sydney couldnt.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Rohan is still not racking up big possession numbers and if you factor in the greater number of inside 50's geelong have compared to us, his performance is probably not significantly higher than his best at the swans.

One thing I did note about his time at Sydney was his positioning was 'terrible'. 'Terrible' in the sense that he would go to positions that the ball was very unlikely to end up.
    But if he was directed to do that by the coaching staff, then that explains it to some degree.
    But even if he was playing the defensive forward role, he must still not meeting the swans objectives because he hardly got a game in 2018.

It all reeks of a combination of Rohan being a player that suits only a certain type of role (free running forward), and Geelong can offer that type of role, and Sydney couldnt.
    I'm no expert, but I think that's exactly what Gary inferred by using the phrase "pressure forward" in contrast with his current role..
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Breust was never on our rookie list. He played as a regular top-up player with our reserves team (then in the Canberra league) and was a stand-out performer. His residence qualified him to be taken as a priority rookie selection and many of us were flabbergasted at the time that he wasn't selected.

It is possible that he declined selection as a priority pick, as players were entitled to do. Matt Suckling was one player who I believe the Swans were keen to pick as a priority rookie but who declined, preferring instead to back his chances of being picked up by a Melbourne based club. I've never heard that Breust declined to be selected by the Swans. I recall the OTC team once quizzing Roos about why the club didn't select him, and him mumbling something about them thinking he was too small, or too slow, and then quickly changing the subject. If so (and Breust didn't decline), he was certainly a bad miss, and a surprising one given how much better he was than other top-ups we did then draft. It wasn't until Lloyd Perris came along that another top-up player looked quite as comfortable, and was such a strong contributor as an underaged top up.
    Big mistake by us especially since Bruest is about 6' as far as I know. Maybe he had a late growth spurt. Clubs seem to shy away from the smaller players. I don't see the reason myself. Just look at Caleb Daniels for example. He should have been a first round selection based on ability. Smaller players can compensate for this deficiency other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I'm no expert, but I think that's exactly what Gary inferred by using the phrase "pressure forward" in contrast with his current role..
    Yeah thats right. A #6 draft pick should be able to play many roles. I think thats where we got bogged down in our expectations.
    He's a 1 dimension player, and geelong have the exact role (dimension) for him. We didnt.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Yeah thats right. A #6 draft pick should be able to play many roles. I think thats where we got bogged down in our expectations.
    He's a 1 dimension player, and geelong have the exact role (dimension) for him. We didnt.
    Someone who can kick goals, why would we need that when we can just kick it to Buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Someone who can kick goals, why would we need that when we can just kick it to Buddy?

So that there is another option when Buddy gets double or triple teamed by defenders.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    [/I]

So that there is another option when Buddy gets double or triple teamed by defenders.
    Forgot the sarcasm font!