Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFL and mental illness

Regular in the Side
    Stillnox was the drug that our swimmers played up with at the London Olympics and which probably cost The Missile a gold medal. Melatonin was the drug that cost Sharapova a ban in tennis. Both drugs need to be treated with respect and certainly not used in combination.

In the Mental Health First Aid course I did we were advised to talk to people that you believe are suicidal and that it is OK after establishing a rapport to ask them directly if they are considering suicide. Most apparently are happy to talk about it and you can then show them how to get help. Fortunately I have never had to put this into practice.
    Last edited by rb4x; 20th December 2018 at 12:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You get that in all streams of medicine. They reach a limit of what they are prepared to do.
    Unfortunately, being turned away from MHS doesn't end well in many cases.

This is where the real stigma lies. The risk of asking for help is that it will effect other parts of your life.
    The issue I had is that if you seek medical assistance for a physical issue, the claim would be paid.
    Once Mental health is mentioned, sorry you are on your own. The claim was under $200 and they still refused.

I lost a plastic piece of camera equipment on a recent trip worth $50, got paid out within a week.
    This is just wrong on so many levels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Notice some very disturbing reports about the side effects, in some cases, of stilnox which apparently he had been using.
    As I found out recently some people metabolise drugs in different ways.
    A DNA test will assess what drugs your body can and can't cope with.

We found Valium had no effect, as it was metabolised too quickly.
    It was the first drug of choice issued. Makes sense now why it had no effect.
    Where as other people will be knocked out for hours by it.

And yes, side effects are less than what they used to be years ago, but some people will be different.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    As I found out recently some people metabolise drugs in different ways.
    A DNA test will assess what drugs your body can and can't cope with.

We found Valium had no effect, as it was metabolised too quickly.
    It was the first drug of choice issued. Makes sense now why it had no effect.
    Where as other people will be knocked out for hours by it.

And yes, side effects are less than what they used to be years ago, but some people will be different.
    There was a case in Sydney some years ago where a young woman jumped off harbour bridge and died. Her family were adamant that stilnox payed a big role in that people sleep walk and are not fully aware of what they are doing. Not an isolated case as I understand it. Only speculating, but may have similarities.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    There was a case in Sydney some years ago where a young woman jumped off harbour bridge and died. Her family were adamant that stilnox payed a big role in that people sleep walk and are not fully aware of what they are doing. Not an isolated case as I understand it. Only speculating, but may have similarities.
    Very, very scary.
    I'm sure there have been other cases for Stilnox in recent years as well.

I have always been wary of these drugs. Glad we have had to deal with that one.
    The ones in use for our circumstances seem to be doing there job without side effects...... So Far.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Whoa! That will really give you an accurate and balanced view of the world.......not!
    The news people only tell you the news that THEY think you should know.
    I don't watch the news either.
    I read Fairfax online and get the rest of my "news" from other people's feeds.
    It's the way of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

The two you mention are crimes.
    Suicide is not a crime. It is the last hope for some people. Which is pretty sad that things can get to that. And it is never publicised, but it is always obvious as they have the usual Lifeline, Beyodblue phone numbers at the end of the article.
    Suicide IS a chargeable offence in NSW - if you survive the attempt.
    I know... what the what????
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    If it is, that is the weirdest law Ive heard of. Are they trying to discourage suicide by making it unlawful ? lol.

What I have heard, and this may not be correct, is that life insurance policies do not pay out on Suicide. Another anomaly.
    Correction: This may be a myth. After a bit of googling, apparently most life insurance policies do pay out on suicide in australia.

If it is, that is the weirdest law Ive heard of. Are they trying to discourage suicide by making it unlawful ? lol.

What I have heard, and this may not be correct, is that life insurance policies do not pay out on Suicide. Another anomaly.
    Correction: This may be a myth. After a bit of googling, apparently most life insurance policies do pay out on suicide in australia.
    Suicide has been removed from the criminal code only in relatively recent times in most Australian jurisdictions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Really????

So you are screwed either way??

Really???? So you are screwed either way??
    Yep. It's awful.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Why is it the responsibility of the employer to look after the psychological welfare of their employees? Employers are responsible for the interactions within the workplace, ie. harassment, bullying, etc. They are not responsible for the general mental health of employees.

As the owner of a small business, the opinion of society that employers are responsible for their employees outside the workplace is a worrying trend. Of course the AFL is a large and profitable entity, but how long will it be before this expectation spreads to small and medium businesses as history has shown?

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Nah.
    If anything it makes it more 'taboo' and possibly brings a mystique to it, but avoiding dealing with the word.
    Suicide is suicide. If that word is going to condemned as somehow inciting others, then simply say "attempt to take his own life"
    It's just the media trying to appear sensitive whilst also relishing in being the bearer of bad news.
    I find it fascinating when the media sensitively state that 'the family requests privacy', as they are saying this while drawing attention to what has happened.

Anyway, I'm sure it was initially labeled as a fall because people didn't know at the time, and there was a chance that there were shenanigans afoot and horseplay and a fall, as remote as that would have been even at the time.
    It seems to be an attempted suicide, likely the end of him as a player, if not through the injuries, then other reasons.
    It's sad, but no sadder than any other person who does the same thing that is unreported or a footnote somewhere.
    +1. There seems to be a belief that this incident is more important than the 50 others that occur each week because he is either an AFL player or a high profile Sudanese.

I'm sure that it was initially labelled as a fall as to label it as suicide if it wasn't the case would have been very problematic.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast