Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFL and mental illness

AFL and mental illness

My thoughts go out to Majak Daw.
    What more can the AFL do for mental illness? A genuine question.

Personally I believe it is up to all of us, society, to do more, not just the employer of an individual.
    We make up the fabric of society of which everyone is a part, regardless of what kind of work they do. We need to look out more for one another.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    My thoughts go out to Majak Daw.
    What more can the AFL do for mental illness? A genuine question.
    Maybe not the AFL (because they usually @@@@ things up) but all clubs must have a full time psychologist and a dedicated programme to address these issues when they arise. The players must know if they have any issues they can immediately turn to someone, without fear of judgement, for support and assistance.

The issue of mental health requires far more resources dedicated to it in footy clubs and even more in society in general. We can't have young footballers dealing with things in silence and jumping off bridges. It's not good enough.....

It came as little surprise to me that not all AFL clubs have a full time psychologist according to an ABC report. In this day and age in a high stakes professional sport, that just doesn't make sense. If Majak Daw's plight doesn't shake things up in this area, there's something wrong.

I was very critical of the swans not having a psychologist on board years ago.
    Not even for serious issues, but just to be able to bring out the best in players. Work with them and help them get to their best.
    No idea if the Swans ever got one...

As far Schwass and his comments, didn't he deal with some mental health issues?
    Not sure if this allows him to be the best person to present his POV, as it is biased from this as well as his PUKA UP association.
    Daw playing for North also doesn't help.
    Or maybe all of that makes what he has to say more relevant?
    I'm not sure.

Regardless, I don't know what responsibility the AFL bears in this area.
    People, including myself, love to say "this is their workplace, which just happened to put them in the public eye"
    So should the AFL have more responsibility to mental health then other businesses? And what degree should the clubs have?
    What plans are in place? Are allocated funds being spent wisely? Should there be someone to oversee this and make sure all clubs are ticking the right boxes?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

As far as I am aware, most clubs employ psychologists, usually sports psychologists. In the Swans case I believe we prefer a clinical psychologist.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    As far as I am aware, most clubs employ psychologists, usually sports psychologists. In the Swans case I believe we prefer a clinical psychologist.
    If this is the case maybe the club should do a video on him/her. This would be perfect timing.
    A few years ago I think they did videos on some of the club staff (i.e. physio etc) but I could be wrong.

My heart is breaking for Majak. I just hope he gets all the help he needs.
    Aliir re-posted a photo of them after the game this year, and it's still one of my favourite photos of the year.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

When the media reports it as a "fall" and not a suicide attempt, it shows how far we still have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    When the media reports it as a "fall" and not a suicide attempt, it shows how far we still have to go.
    I understand where you're coming from on this, Barry, but don't agree. It's a difficult matter. There is, properly, sensitivity about broadcasting too loudly and clearly the idea of suicide; the possibility that this may become a factor in others, perhaps especially younger people, copying the example is a legitimate concern. I tend to think that media have become more careful, rightly, about this over a number of years.

Where I think the media is reprehensible is when a news outlet reveals personal details that they have become aware of, and within a few paragraphs, simply quote North president Ben Buckley's appeal for privacy, as if they themselves were being responsible and not acting in a spirit exactly to the contrary of that appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I understand where you're coming from on this, Barry, but don't agree. It's a difficult matter. There is, properly, sensitivity about broadcasting too loudly and clearly the idea of suicide; the possibility that this may become a factor in others, perhaps especially younger people, copying the example is a legitimate concern. I tend to think that media have become more careful, rightly, about this over a number of years.

Where I think the media is reprehensible is when a news outlet reveals personal details that they have become aware of, and within a few paragraphs, simply quote North president Ben Buckley's appeal for privacy, as if they themselves were being responsible and not acting in a spirit exactly to the contrary of that appeal.
    You've put me between a rock and hard place.
    I can see both your points (OMG... what's happening!!).
    The media should report it as a suicide attempt (which is what it is) instead of sweeping it under the carpet and calling it something else. This doesn't help the mental health cause.
    Sometimes we need to point out the obvious so that people can talk about it freely and remove the stigma attached to it.
    On the other hand, copy-cat is a legitimate concern... but I don't think a concern enough that it will sway someone one way or the other.
    Society needs to talk about these things honestly and openly - remove the stigma - and try to help people who desperately need it.

If it was someone other than Majak, that is, an ordinary Joe Blow like you and I, we probably wouldn't be talking about it.
    The more we talk, the more we can do.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    Personally I believe it is up to all of us, society, to do more, not just the employer of an individual.
    We make up the fabric of society of which everyone is a part, regardless of what kind of work they do. We need to look out more for one another.
    I think this is a great comment.

At my own workplace I recently wrote to the OH&S committee to draw its attention to the fact that every time OH&S issues are spoken of, it's always at the level of "make sure the cables aren't a tripping hazard, don't climb unless you've got a ladder license..." and never a word about mental health. At a conference I attended a few weeks ago, a speaker pointed out that even acknowledging "stress" within a workplace can be problematic, because the implication may be that it's the fault of the individual if they aren't coping with the stress. I think Moriarty is spot on, that we can't leave it to others (even to the psychologist).

I thought the way the club handled Buddy's mental health a couple of years back was exemplary. From my vantage point on the outside, they put no pressure on him to resume playing in a hurry, and likewise with "Reg" this year. This is one thing Longmire gets right - even if we are critical of his tactical nous. Dane Rampe referred to his own emotional intelligence, and it's great that his leadership is acknowledged.

Those with an interest in the GO foundation will probably be aware of the region where the highest suicide rates in the country are found. https://theconversation.com/indigeno...-average-61502

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    You've put me between a rock and hard place.
    I can see both your points (OMG... what's happening!!).
    The media should report it as a suicide attempt (which is what it is) instead of sweeping it under the carpet and calling it something else. This doesn't help the mental health cause.
    Sometimes we need to point out the obvious so that people can talk about it freely and remove the stigma attached to it.
    On the other hand, copy-cat is a legitimate concern... but I don't think a concern enough that it will sway someone one way or the other.
    Society needs to talk about these things honestly and openly - remove the stigma - and try to help people who desperately need it.

If it was someone other than Majak, that is, an ordinary Joe Blow like you and I, we probably wouldn't be talking about it.
    The more we talk, the more we can do.
    Fine post, Annie. Even if you don't completely agree with me! I work with teenagers, so that probably skews my thinking. I just don't know how we can remove the stigma that attaches to mental health issues, and at the same time cater for younger people whose ability to process life problems may not be as well-formed as it will become in full adulthood.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast