Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Selection R1 v Bulldogs

Veterans List
    Also Carlton were M&Ms for a game from memory, in fact have played like M&Ms for half a decade!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Fair call. I thought Thurlow showed enough as well but couldn't fit both for team balance so they'll be fighting for spot in the 22 imo. Alternatively Blakey and Hayward could be fighting for a spot (Blakey having the honours from what I saw in the JLT) to accomodate both Thurlow and O'Riordan, but I rather have Hayward for that X factor with Buddy likely to miss.
    I think the issue with your team is that there is no defender on the bench. Even if you want a core of just six defenders on the ground at any time, rotations mean that those six won't play the entire game. Sure, Jones and/or Mills could spend some time rotating through the defensive unit but I doubt many teams set up that way. If they play as mids - as you have named them - I'd expect them to play predominantly in the midfield, not switching between there and defence. Midfielders typically rest more in the forward line than in defence.

So I'd bring in COR at the expense of one of the named forwards. Which one depends on the balance between height and speed. I know some people see Dawson as a midfielder because he's played extensively there at NEAFL level. In time he may become one at senior level. But I see him initially as a half-forward at AFL level, with the ability to occasionally play deep forward and maybe play limited minutes in the midfield. I think he and Blakely are similar in the kind of role they are currently best suited to. While I think you could play a team with both, if you're trying to get a balanced line up it may come down to a choice between the two while we have close to a full squad available. So Blakey misses my team, replaced by COR to better balance the team between forward and defenders.

That said, Blakey had a better JLT series than Ronke. So maybe Ronke makes way instead. But I think the forward line is better with a small, nippy forward included. And if Papley is to play substantial minutes in the midfield, as he did in the JLT, that really leaves Ronke as the only option. Hayward has pace but I don't think he really plays as a small forward.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Also Carlton were M&Ms for a game from memory, in fact have played like M&Ms for half a decade!
    Go soft in the heat?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the issue with your team is that there is no defender on the bench. Even if you want a core of just six defenders on the ground at any time, rotations mean that those six won't play the entire game. Sure, Jones and/or Mills could spend some time rotating through the defensive unit but I doubt many teams set up that way. If they play as mids - as you have named them - I'd expect them to play predominantly in the midfield, not switching between there and defence. Midfielders typically rest more in the forward line than in defence.

So I'd bring in COR at the expense of one of the named forwards. Which one depends on the balance between height and speed. I know some people see Dawson as a midfielder because he's played extensively there at NEAFL level. In time he may become one at senior level. But I see him initially as a half-forward at AFL level, with the ability to occasionally play deep forward and maybe play limited minutes in the midfield. I think he and Blakely are similar in the kind of role they are currently best suited to. While I think you could play a team with both, if you're trying to get a balanced line up it may come down to a choice between the two while we have close to a full squad available. So Blakey misses my team, replaced by COR to better balance the team between forward and defenders.

That said, Blakey had a better JLT series than Ronke. So maybe Ronke makes way instead. But I think the forward line is better with a small, nippy forward included. And if Papley is to play substantial minutes in the midfield, as he did in the JLT, that really leaves Ronke as the only option. Hayward has pace but I don't think he really plays as a small forward.
    Ronke was pretty poor in JLT, in particular his forward pressure without ball was pretty poor. Putting my rugby glasses on, he seems to struggle to make tackles stick, either dropping off or not wrapping up his opponent so they can still hand pass. I worry that he has already hit his peak given his marked loss of form towards the end of 2018. Heeney, Parker, McVeigh and Cunningham can all play the small forward role so I think we can afford not to have him in the side. Both Blakey and Dawson were impressive JLT and deserve to be in the round 1 side. Just because they are similar, doesn't mean it's an either / or proposition, especially with the likelihood Buddy won't play (or will have a little rust if he does).

Veterans List
    I think Dawson has to be selected....he can clunks marks wherever he plays and is a sublime kick. We need efficient delivery in to the forward line and accurate kicks at goal. He delivers that....and I agree with RD above on Blakey, he and Dawson can both fit in the side without detriment to structures.....and yes, especially if Buddy doesn't play.

I think we should try to play Thurlow, COR and Dawson throughout the season, form permitting, as they should all be important components of the team over the coming years and need to build experience in seniors.

I didn't think Ronke played poorly in the JLT, although he didn't stand out either. But he does allow Papley to play more through the midfield. I think Ronke will become more valuable once Franklin is back in the side and we have more dangerous talls in our forward line.

I'm having a selection problem too, even without Buddy. If Florent is fit to play, it's going to be tough on the match committee. I think Florent has to play a half of footy in the reserves game to get up for the round 1. We should have a better idea on selection after that game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think Dawson has to be selected....he can clunks marks wherever he plays and is a sublime kick. We need efficient delivery in to the forward line and accurate kicks at goal. He delivers that....and I agree with RD above on Blakey, he and Dawson can both fit in the side without detriment to structures.....and yes, especially if Buddy doesn't play.
    I think they can both play in the same side. But we can't pick more than 22 players and, like Ludwig, I'm having trouble fitting in all those who have a strong case for inclusion. If you're going to play both, someone else has to miss. I think COR also has a very strong case for inclusion purely on merit, and even more so when you consider the balance of the team. But to add him, someone else has to come out.

If it comes down to a choice between Blakey and Dawson, I agree with you that Dawson has to play. Blakey shapes up as being a wonderful player for us in the long term, but Dawson currently offers a little more (and is more likely to be able to deliver consistently). Blakely hasn't played a whole lot of football in the past two seasons, and Longmire has already commented that they need to be careful about looking after him physically, and giving him time to build up his physical resilience.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think they can both play in the same side. But we can't pick more than 22 players and, like Ludwig, I'm having trouble fitting in all those who have a strong case for inclusion. If you're going to play both, someone else has to miss. I think COR also has a very strong case for inclusion purely on merit, and even more so when you consider the balance of the team. But to add him, someone else has to come out.

If it comes down to a choice between Blakey and Dawson, I agree with you that Dawson has to play. Blakey shapes up as being a wonderful player for us in the long term, but Dawson currently offers a little more (and is more likely to be able to deliver consistently). Blakely hasn't played a whole lot of football in the past two seasons, and Longmire has already commented that they need to be careful about looking after him physically, and giving him time to build up his physical resilience.
    Dawson should be given his chance. We lack a bit with not a lot class kickers, especially with Buddy out. Blakey can wait a bit but Dawson needs to take his chance and show more intensity and endeavour. Hope he's not a tease in the Jesse White tradition.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Go soft in the heat?
    Yeah nah, get licked by all comers!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Yeah nah, get licked by all comers!
    They soon turn into a moist, brown mess?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Dawson should be given his chance. We lack a bit with not a lot class kickers, especially with Buddy out. Blakey can wait a bit but Dawson needs to take his chance and show more intensity and endeavour. Hope he's not a tease in the Jesse White tradition.
    Dawson and White are very different. White always seemed to be a player with potential that only delivered some of the time. In 2017 Dawson put in one the best consistently high full-season NEAFL performances of any player we've had. Even better than Lloyd and Hewett in previous years, and would expect Dawson to match, or even exceed, their performance levels in seniors. Those kinds of NEAFL performances have usually foreshadowed a solid AFL career, particularly for midfielders.

I'm hoping Cameron can bring his NEAFL performance of last season to AFL level as well. It's a shame that injuries, some rather minor, have impeded his continuity at times when he's been on the verge of selection. He probably would have played JLT2 if not for that minor knee injury. We will probably have to endure some learning time as he develops with senior games. This is particularly true with ruckmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Dawson and White are very different. White always seemed to be a player with potential that only delivered some of the time. In 2017 Dawson put in one the best consistently high full-season NEAFL performances of any player we've had. Even better than Lloyd and Hewett in previous years, and would expect Dawson to match, or even exceed, their performance levels in seniors. Those kinds of NEAFL performances have usually foreshadowed a solid AFL career, particularly for midfielders.

I'm hoping Cameron can bring his NEAFL performance of last season to AFL level as well. It's a shame that injuries, some rather minor, have impeded his continuity at times when he's been on the verge of selection. He probably would have played JLT2 if not for that minor knee injury. We will probably have to endure some learning time as he develops with senior games. This is particularly true with ruckmen.
    Speaking of Dawson, I recall another RWO poster suggesting Dawson has the attributes of a Luke Hodge type defender. I would agree with this and would be interested in what others feel about this. Imagine the damage he could do with that left boot - Buddy and Reid would have a field day. Defensively he should be ok, given his experience in one on one contests and he has good height and size.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast