Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: 2019 Swans academy and U18 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Gordian Knot View Post
    The ex-Academy boys went down to the SANFL of their own volition and were identified by club recruiters. The Swans would have selected several of them for the NDS if they had had the chance.
    Thanks for that. I was wondering, because I thought that a couple of them were unlucky not to be rookie listed, and therefore, I was keen how they would respond, as U19 NEAFL players. Though I suppose they will still be on our radar, if they perform well in the SANFL.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    After looking at the nice photos above, I made an unsuccessful attempt to find a match report. However, I did find out that a number of ex-academy players will be playing in the SANFL this season. Hamish Ellem and Kyle Martin will be at West Adelaide. Luke Parks has moved to Glenelg: possibly as a replacement for Will Gould, or Jesse White? Ky McGrath has gone to South Adelaide; along with former listed player, James Rose. Another former listed player, Dan Menzel, has gone back to Central Districts, who have also recruited two sons of Swans legend, Paul Kelly; Jackson and Ben.

Oddly, it seems that no NEAFL clubs have recruited any players from our academy this season. So I'm wondering if we now have a policy of offering some of our best academy products to the SANFL? Or with the success of former academy players, like Foote and Davis, have SANFL recruiters become more interest in players who have gone through our academy?
    I think the boys go to the SANFL because it is more highly regarded and has better exposure than neafl. Recent years have shown that it is next to impossible for ex academy (from all four eastern afl clubs) to get drafted from the neafl. I see the fact that sanfl want to take ex academy as a real positive for the program. I hope they do really well and open up a pathway to an afl list for sydney based players.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I think the boys go to the SANFL because it is more highly regarded and has better exposure than neafl. Recent years have shown that it is next to impossible for ex academy (from all four eastern afl clubs) to get drafted from the neafl. I see the fact that sanfl want to take ex academy as a real positive for the program. I hope they do really well and open up a pathway to an afl list for sydney based players.
    Yes, probably a good thing, but I did sort of like the idea, of our academy players going to other NEAFL clubs and slowly improving the standard of the competition. Though of course, there's no reason why both can't happen.

I watched the game on the weekend . Was very hard fought and quite spirited at times as many in the SAFL rep team were ex academy players.

Swans played all of their NDS players ( except Thorne who was injured) and all of their u18 level players.

Swans academy held the lead for most of the game and kicked away in the final term to win by about 30 or 40 points ( can’t recall final score ) .

While swans were obviously younger - they looked much fitter and obviously benefitted from having a lot more training and playing time together .

The u18 boys that played well in my view were Sheather (my choice of BOG) Campbell , Gulden , Pfrengle, Roseby and Rossman but the game was at times quite scrappy and clear it was a preseason game.

One problem for the 18s is the clear lack of key position “bigs”. Most of those roles ( ruck, full forward etc) are taken by NDS players which may a problem once NEAFL kicks off .

The under 18s head to Canberra this week to play GWS in their final preseason hit out before the NAB league begins two weeks later.

Veteran Site Admin
    Thanks for the report Mr Magoo.

Do you reckon any of the academy U18s this year might be draftable, Campbell and Gulden aside? As an U16 group they were talked about as being a very talented group, but it seems that all the focus quickly went on Gulden and Campbell. I saw a little of Sheather, Roseby and Rossman as either underagers in last year's NAB League games, or in the NEAFL. They each showed a little, but it's hard to be more than a bit player when you're a fill-in, especially in the NEAFL games they played.

Sheather, in particular, - who I've described on here as a Heeney clone - I've seen do "AFL things" - fierce tackles and high leaping marks. But probably hasn't done much of them, just occasional flashes. I'll be interested in watching this group in this year's NAB League series to see how deep the squad runs below the heralded duo.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Thanks for the report Mr Magoo.

Do you reckon any of the academy U18s this year might be draftable, Campbell and Gulden aside? As an U16 group they were talked about as being a very talented group, but it seems that all the focus quickly went on Gulden and Campbell. I saw a little of Sheather, Roseby and Rossman as either underagers in last year's NAB League games, or in the NEAFL. They each showed a little, but it's hard to be more than a bit player when you're a fill-in, especially in the NEAFL games they played.

Sheather, in particular, - who I've described on here as a Heeney clone - I've seen do "AFL things" - fierce tackles and high leaping marks. But probably hasn't done much of them, just occasional flashes. I'll be interested in watching this group in this year's NAB League series to see how deep the squad runs below the heralded duo.
    I like Sheather. As you say, he’s a fierce tackler and takes a good mark. His problem last year in both the NAB League games and Swans Reserves games was that he generally picked up very few possessions. Perhaps with the experience of last year under his belt he may get more of the ball this year.

At this stage I don’t see him as draft material, given some of the boys who missed out last year, but you never know. Plenty of boys come out of nowhere in their draft year, while others seem to fall off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordian Knot View Post
    I like Sheather. As you say, he’s a fierce tackler and takes a good mark. His problem last year in both the NAB League games and Swans Reserves games was that he generally picked up very few possessions. Perhaps with the experience of last year under his belt he may get more of the ball this year.

At this stage I don’t see him as draft material, given some of the boys who missed out last year, but you never know. Plenty of boys come out of nowhere in their draft year, while others seem to fall off a cliff.
    I have heard that four players are in the mix for drafting (not through the swans) - Campbell, Gulden, Rossman and Sheather. I think Pfrengle is also an excellent full back / CHB.

I have also heard that the overall draft quality this year is not overly strong in other states , hence why these four or five are in the mix. The NAB League / Allies series will be the true test as they face the likes of Sandringham, Dandenong etc. I would think at this stage that Sheather is the most likely after campbell and gulden who already appear to have their papers stamped but it is a very fine line between draftable and not. In the intra club the previous week, Sam Thorne absolutely carved up the 18s through the midfield and yet he wasnt taken this year. If you based draftability on what he showed then you might say either no one else will be or that he might be in the mix as an overager as well.

Sheather as an under ager played a half forward pressure role last year. Its hard to rack up that many possessions as un underager as your team has to feed you and what I often see (and others have commented at NEAFL level ) is that the boys tend to play to players in their own age group so unless the under ager plays in a possession winning role they will be hampered in getting too much ball.

On the weekend , Sheather , rossman ,gulden and campbell were essentially the midfield for the Academy team and all racked up 20 plus possessions, so back in their own age they are all ball winners when played in ball winning roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I have heard that four players are in the mix for drafting (not through the swans) - Campbell, Gulden, Rossman and Sheather. I think Pfrengle is also an excellent full back / CHB.

I have also heard that the overall draft quality this year is not overly strong in other states , hence why these four or five are in the mix. The NAB League / Allies series will be the true test as they face the likes of Sandringham, Dandenong etc. I would think at this stage that Sheather is the most likely after campbell and gulden who already appear to have their papers stamped but it is a very fine line between draftable and not. In the intra club the previous week, Sam Thorne absolutely carved up the 18s through the midfield and yet he wasnt taken this year. If you based draftability on what he showed then you might say either no one else will be or that he might be in the mix as an overager as well.

Sheather as an under ager played a half forward pressure role last year. Its hard to rack up that many possessions as un underager as your team has to feed you and what I often see (and others have commented at NEAFL level ) is that the boys tend to play to players in their own age group so unless the under ager plays in a possession winning role they will be hampered in getting too much ball.

On the weekend , Sheather , rossman ,gulden and campbell were essentially the midfield for the Academy team and all racked up 20 plus possessions, so back in their own age they are all ball winners when played in ball winning roles.
    That’s good to see. I agree that Gulden and Campbell are pretty much dead certs to get drafted and it’s really a case of ‘who else’. Hopefully the others make the most of their opportunities this year and recruiters pay them the attention they deserve.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415