Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mens Player Points System

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    But what is it solving? It doesn't seem to be helping teams that actually need it
    The actual idea behind it is to encourage all clubs to develop juniors in their areas rather than buy players in from outside their area or pathways. Local juniors are 1 point, players from outside can be anything from 2 to 7 points.
    By doing this it will help grow AFL across Sydney as senior clubs work more closely with their junior clubs.
    Plus it discourages teams with big $ backers to go out and buy players to win a premiership and then when the backers step away the club does not have a strong base of local players to sustain it. There have been a few examples of that over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    The actual idea behind it is to encourage all clubs to develop juniors in their areas rather than buy players in from outside their area or pathways. Local juniors are 1 point, players from outside can be anything from 2 to 7 points.
    By doing this it will help grow AFL across Sydney as senior clubs work more closely with their junior clubs.
    Plus it discourages teams with big $ backers to go out and buy players to win a premiership and then when the backers step away the club does not have a strong base of local players to sustain it. There have been a few examples of that over the years.

Sorry but I believe in the Easter Bunny to.

There used to be a pathway which encouraged that and stopped poaching but we all know what happened there and why it happened.

The idea of working with junior clubs is fantastic until the Academies direct local talent elsewhere. We have busted our arse working with junior clubs only to watch them implode after the ongoing poaching of the best talent.

We have three junior clubs that the AFL want us to work with. None go beyond under 14's anymore. We all know the Bankstown saga. South West Tiger potentially had a very good under 17s this year - that was until 5 players tried to transfer to Baulko - The AFL put a stop to that as only one kid could have done so within the current by-laws. So now they went to Camden - and the remaining kids pulled the pin.

In the last 30 years despite all the propaganda the game in the South West region has gone backwards and will continue to do so at a rapid rate.

Plus the other benefit is that it will spread the talent across all clubs of those good players that come to Sydney and want to play in Premier Division.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Sorry but I believe in the Easter Bunny to.

There used to be a pathway which encouraged that and stopped poaching but we all know what happened there and why it happened.

The idea of working with junior clubs is fantastic until the Academies direct local talent elsewhere. We have busted our arse working with junior clubs only to watch them implode after the ongoing poaching of the best talent.

We have three junior clubs that the AFL want us to work with. None go beyond under 14's anymore. We all know the Bankstown saga. South West Tiger potentially had a very good under 17s this year - that was until 5 players tried to transfer to Baulko - The AFL put a stop to that as only one kid could have done so within the current by-laws. So now they went to Camden - and the remaining kids pulled the pin.

In the last 30 years despite all the propaganda the game in the South West region has gone backwards and will continue to do so at a rapid rate.
    So at least under the scenario you describe of juniors playing with clubs outside their pathway it will cost those senior clubs 3 or 4 points to play them. So it is not perfect but there is some disincentive for Prems clubs to play players from outside their junior pathway.
    The real issue in that scenario is the better academy juniors wanting to play for Div1 U19s and Prem Div club to increase their chances of staying in their Academy and ideally getting drafted. Not sure how you fix that.

So at least under the scenario you describe of juniors playing with clubs outside their pathway it will cost those senior clubs 3 or 4 points to play them. So it is not perfect but there is some disincentive for Prems clubs to play players from outside their junior pathway.
    The real issue in that scenario is the better academy juniors wanting to play for Div1 U19s and Prem Div club to increase their chances of staying in their Academy and ideally getting drafted. Not sure how you fix that.

How Many Kids have been drafted over the last 10 Years from Sydney Clubs? The excuse that they need to leave their local club to play Div 1 is ridiculous. If they are anywhere near being drafted they would be playing Academy Series footy at 16,17 and 18 as well as State footy and Neafl top up and would play hardly any local footy anyway. Just another way for any good kids who have been developed by local clubs to be channeled into the chosen few

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttsy View Post
    How Many Kids have been drafted over the last 10 Years from Sydney Clubs? The excuse that they need to leave their local club to play Div 1 is ridiculous. If they are anywhere near being drafted they would be playing Academy Series footy at 16,17 and 18 as well as State footy and Neafl top up and would play hardly any local footy anyway. Just another way for any good kids who have been developed by local clubs to be channeled into the chosen few
    Yep the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Santa are all well and truly alive at AFL HQ

Quote Originally Posted by Nuttsy View Post
    I agree with your scepticism of the Academies, but that has nothing to do with the Player Points System. And the PPS does act as a small deterrent for a Premier Div clubs playing kids from outside their pathway.
    And are you going to tell a kid and his parent in the Academy that he is not going to make it? Best of luck retaining kids with that approach.

I agree with your scepticism of the Academies, but that has nothing to do with the Player Points System. And the PPS does act as a small deterrent for a Premier Div clubs playing kids from outside their pathway.
    And are you going to tell a kid and his parent in the Academy that he is not going to make it? Best of luck retaining kids with that approach.

It's not about telling them they wont get drafted. It's bull@@@@ting them by selling to them that they are a better chance of it happening by leaving their local club to go play a handful of games with another sydney club. The top end kids basically only train with the academy squads and will be training playing Neafl etc. If your not in that camp your not getting drafted so there's no point leaving your local club to go play with a Prems club in Under 19's etc. Unless of course the people running the Academies have connections with said Prems clubs

From speaking to some involved my conclusion is the points system is.............POINTLESS. Its something that came from other comps where it was able to be used as an equalization measure in those markets for issues they had - as designed it does not help Sydney footy in ANY way and is just more pointless rules and regs to confuse and bemuse volunteers who have enough on their plate - BUT hey it probably ticks someones KPI.

The data some here think is illuminating tells us nothing new - who has the most talented juniors in this current era, the inner city clubs are full of southern staters - no revelations there. Can you regulate to force a talented person who lives in Hornsby, Paddington, Bondi or Newtown for example to go play for Camden? I reckon they'd just do something else mostly, so regulated "equalization" in the Sydney market probably needs to focus on ground up builds. To hear Tara tell about the South West is utterly depressing - that's a place that should have been a stronghold by now. To hear of academy/afl staff undermining club programs well that is just so short sighted as to be negligent.

I think you are spot on with your comment about ticking a KPI.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    From speaking to some involved my conclusion is the points system is.............POINTLESS. Its something that came from other comps where it was able to be used as an equalization measure in those markets for issues they had - as designed it does not help Sydney footy in ANY way and is just more pointless rules and regs to confuse and bemuse volunteers who have enough on their plate - BUT hey it probably ticks someones KPI.

The data some here think is illuminating tells us nothing new - who has the most talented juniors in this current era, the inner city clubs are full of southern staters - no revelations there. Can you regulate to force a talented person who lives in Hornsby, Paddington, Bondi or Newtown for example to go play for Camden? I reckon they'd just do something else mostly, so regulated "equalization" in the Sydney market probably needs to focus on ground up builds. To hear Tara tell about the South West is utterly depressing - that's a place that should have been a stronghold by now. To hear of academy/afl staff undermining club programs well that is just so short sighted as to be negligent.
    Nailed it all Jupiter - you should join the Syndey AFL Board / Consultative committee........ ohhh sorry they don't have them any more.

The favored teams in this weeks prems games would all probably be giving their opponents between 5 & 20 goals start if bookmakers were framing markets on them, yet Nth Shore are the only team expected to win that will start on more points than their opposition,as Jupiter said, it seems pointless.

There is more of a gulf between teams in prems at the moment than there has been for a fair while and points systems will probably not address that, probably only squeeze out players from clubs, with the lower clubs having to go and get 7 point players if possible to be able to compete.

As has been said before, probably will only strengthen the ressies comp, with the cap meaning that the stronger clubs will need to rotate some of their players through ressies or rest them, good luck UNSW getting the likes of Pfeiffer,Aish,Towers, Jack etc under cap when it is 42pts or less.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast