Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Buddy joined the Sydney Swans

I thought Tippo was banned for tampering with the draft, because "Adelaide allegedly agreed to trade him to a club of his choice for a second-round draft pick - a massively lopsided arrangement - when the [his] contract finished at the end of 2012..."

Tippett said in a statement that he was "bitterly disappointed" with the outcome. "I trusted the Adelaide Football Club and for the duration of my contract I did my utmost for the club on and off the field," he said. "It is bitterly disappointing, then, to learn that my trust and best endeavours have been to my substantial detriment. Only during the recent AFL trade period did I learn that some terms in the Adelaide offer may have contravened AFL rules, and since that point I and all parties associated with me have cooperated fully with the AFL in its investigations."

Tippett, Crows found guilty over salary cap breach - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Senior Player
    So, in relation to Tippo ; If Adelaide were paying him the right amount, why did they have to hide it?
    And if they weren't paying him the right amount (ie more than he was meant to get) did Tippo not know
    he was getting paid additional money. Did he not notice additional money appearing in his bank account?
    Reminds me of all those icons of rugby league down at the Melbourne Storm. What, none of them noticed
    tens of thousands of dollars magically appearing in their bank accounts for no reason whatsoever....

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Timing is everything. Just like politicians bad decisions no1 bats an eye lid when it comes out half a decade after the fact.

This, trade ban, tanking saga and in a few years it’ll be the doping saga. It’s almost like “let’s clear the slate to obsolve ourselves of the wrong doing” well done HS for this “scoop” 🙄

With the help of the Melbourne media they play everyone for fools.
    And the average obsessed Vic footy fan laps it up.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    So, in relation to Tippo ; If Adelaide were paying him the right amount, why did they have to hide it?
    And if they weren't paying him the right amount (ie more than he was meant to get) did Tippo not know
    he was getting paid additional money. Did he not notice additional money appearing in his bank account?
    Reminds me of all those icons of rugby league down at the Melbourne Storm. What, none of them noticed
    tens of thousands of dollars magically appearing in their bank accounts for no reason whatsoever....
    Careful with the Storm KT, you'll end up sounding like an uninformed Melbournian talking about the Swans......maybe not all you've heard about the Storm from league heartland NSW media is accurate? Maybe the Storm feel like the Swans.....after all, a few Sydney based league teams have rorted the salary cap since and at least one has not had their premiership taken away or maybe even points.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Careful with the Storm KT, you'll end up sounding like an uninformed Melbournian talking about the Swans......maybe not all you've heard about the Storm from league heartland NSW media is accurate? Maybe the Storm feel like the Swans.....after all, a few Sydney based league teams have rorted the salary cap since and at least one has not had their premiership taken away or maybe even points.
    That is a fair point Stevo. There is probably no reason to believe the Sydney RL media is a lot different from the Melbourne AFL media.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    The HS are running 3 part (paywall) series detailing how Buddy came to us. Today is part 1 and Parts 2 & 3 will be published tomorrow and Friday respectively. We all know the story, but I found this interesting as it details all the secret meetings we had with Buddy and learnt more of the story that I hadn't known previously. I got sense just how well thought out and ahead of the curve the club were in securing Buddy. They were prepared for the huge backlash this was going to cause & how we wouldn't be viewed as a club the same again. Looking forward to parts 2 & 3.

PART 1:
    Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
    PART 2:
    Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Keeping the Giants warm through the whole years seems to be what got everyones knickers in a knot.
    Hawthorn because they thought they could extract a few young guns or good draft picks in a trade with GWS, rather than a compo pick.
    And the AFL because they thought their young club would get a high profile player.

None of which is Sydney's fault, or worthy of the petulant retribution from the AFL (ie trade ban)

Two parts down, still waiting to read anything new. Don’t understand the point of these articles.

Now if part 3 demolishes the ‘Swans cheated with COLA to get Buddy’ story, then there will have been a very valid point ......

Lovin' it.
    GW$ were a bit upset.
    Lovin' that even more!!
    roflrofl
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Lovin' it.
    GW$ were a bit upset.
    Lovin' that even more!!
    roflrofl
    GWS and Buddy dodged a bullet I think. If you compare the way GC turned out by getting the best player in the AFL (Ablett), to the GWS with draft pick growth.
    Its a very hard gig being a marque player for a new club. I think everyone underestimated how hard it is to establish a club. Even many years on, both havent really got their off-field conditioning and medical capabilities up to the gold standard of other clubs.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Two parts down, still waiting to read anything new. Don’t understand the point of these articles...
    There could well not be anything new whatsoever. Makes me wonder why a 3 part piece on the intricacies of Buddy's recruitment being done at this time?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Buddy going from power club Hawthorn to power club Sydney soon after a flag is free agency working for the benefit of the competition.

Lynch going from weak struggler Gold Coast to power club Richmond soon after a flag is free agency working against the benefit of the competition.

Which one should be penalised ?
    But they didn't see Karma coming. Richmond that is.
    Last edited by Nico; 10th April 2019 at 02:17 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast