Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How Buddy joined the Sydney Swans

Regular in the Side
    I find Outline only works if you reload it again after you have selected it. Not sure why.

It’s an epic story to revisit, albeit not as good as winning a Granny.

The trump line:

“When you’ve got the chairman of the Commission (Fitzpatrick) barrelling the chairman of the Swans (Colless) and the CEO of the AFL (Demetriou) barrelling the CEO of the Swans (Ireland), it tells you how desperate they were to get him (Lance) at their new franchise club.”
    Liam Pickering

Colless described these calls as “a torrent of abuse.”

Surely, there’s a great musical here. I mean it leaves any opera for dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    “When you’ve got the chairman of the Commission (Fitzpatrick) barrelling the chairman of the Swans (Colless) and the CEO of the AFL (Demetriou) barrelling the CEO of the Swans (Ireland), it tells you how desperate they were to get him (Lance) at their new franchise club.”
    Liam Pickering

Colless described these calls as “a torrent of abuse.
    When it became official Buddy was coming to us, I recall Demetriou being asked if he was upset Buddy didn't go to GWS? He jocularly replied that he was happy Buddy was going to Sydney as it will further promote the game up there etc......lies lies lies except for the 2nd part of his answer!

This 3 part series further enhances to me just how angry and vindicative the AFL were towards us for getting Buddy. It's not the full story, maybe that will come out after Buddy retires as he seemed to have a few meetings with GWS and the AFL on his own, unlike the Swans were his manager Pickering was also present (that in itself said were Buddy was going).

To me, the AFL's scourge carried on to the 2016 GF with that orchestrated umpiring debacle which cost us the flag (wasn't required for 2014 GF as we didn't show up that day.....except for Bud!). The AFL were & still are hell bent that we don't win a flag whilst we have Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its kind of ironic that all parties won out of this deal.
    GWS were able to build a stronger team from the ground up without being seduced by the super star.
    Hawthorn went on to be successful without Buddy.
    And Sydney got the membership boost of buddies presence.

On the downside.
    GWS never got the exposure it needed to lift its crowds/support quickly.
    Sydney never got a premiership out of Buddy.
    It's still early
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

To me, the AFL's scourge carried on to the 2016 GF with that orchestrated umpiring debacle which cost us the flag (wasn't required for 2014 GF as we didn't show up that day.....except for Bud!). The AFL were & still are hell bent that we don't win a flag whilst we have Buddy.
    I dont believe the AFL directed the umpiring to be bad, but they certainly promoted the Cinderella story of the bulldogs which allowed their tactics to go unchallenged through the finals period.

The great irony is that they went after the swans, demonising them, and stripping them of cola and other benefits, which ended up being applied to GWS too, (The very club they were trying to nurture with the Buddy trade). GWS were hated south of the border, lost cola, and got similarly shafted by umpiring in the preliminary final against the next cinderella team: Richmond.

Does AFL Insider Trade News have any credibility? Another Buddy article linking him to 5 clubs with the Swans paying a chunk of his salary

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Does AFL Insider Trade News have any credibility? Another Buddy article linking him to 5 clubs with the Swans paying a chunk of his salary
    How ridiculous. Why would the Swans off load Buddy to another club and still pay a chunk of his salary. Are these reporters in the land of the living? Why stop at Buddy, why not off load Heeney and also pay a chunk of his salary?

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Its all stemming from Tony 'I want to be relevant' Shaw's comments, but you do wonder if there is a little bit of testing the waters going on by the club.

Would be an enormous step to take though - unless of course Buddy has made it clear to the club he wants out... I don't see it (I'd argue even with the enormous salary he will command in the last few years, he will still pay for himself commercially even if his actual footy field output isn't what it once was). Seems exceptionally settled in Sydney as well.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I can't view the article unfortunately.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Its all stemming from Tony 'I want to be relevant' Shaw's comments, but you do wonder if there is a little bit of testing the waters going on by the club.

Would be an enormous step to take though - unless of course Buddy has made it clear to the club he wants out... I don't see it (I'd argue even with the enormous salary he will command in the last few years, he will still pay for himself commercially even if his actual footy field output isn't what it once was). Seems exceptionally settled in Sydney as well.
    Silly old Shaw threw this into the ring as a desperate for attention grab, like most of his comments. Instead of sinking like a stone, the Melbourne press buzzards, always desperate for a story, talked it up.
    Absolutely no chance of it happening.
    He wouldn't go to a bottom club at this stage, and they would be the only ones with cap space.
    There would be no reason for Sydney to offload him and pay plenty of his salary.
    Fantasy land....and here I am, adding to the nonsense commentary.
    Sorry, guys.

I think it was probably inevitable that at some stage in buddy’s tenure at the swans, if we hadn’t won a flag and weren’t looking super close toward the end of his contract ,that the media would start this sort of chatter .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234