Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Changes for Round VIII v Bombers

The advantage of using Reid and Aliir as back up rucks is that they offer a lot more the rest of the time than a second ruck. It's not a straightforward decision.

Fair enough Bloodspirit, but who fills their spot in the meantime? Besides, Reid can easily get injured in the ruck and though Allir can be ok, this is a desperation move- bring in Cameron to see if he can do a job.

Regular in the Side
    here here on cameron

I agree that we need to start experimenting a bit more in order to find our next path to success. However, this must also be tempered by remaining somewhat competitive as no one will develop if we start losing by 60+ and have zero ball. In some ways, this experimentation has already happened - I, for one, didn't see Aliir being used as an alternate ruck. However, other things I think could be trialed include:

* Playing Mills & Rowbottom in the guts.
    * Playing Cameron & Sinclair together.
    * Getting some speed at half back by using COR and Florent together moving Lloyd to a wing.
    * Swap Heeney & Parker. That is Parker plays 80% forward 20% mid. Heeney vice versa. I actually see Parker very much like Ziebell now.

Still waiting for my call up.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Still waiting for my call up.
    I'm the stand in coach for the game. We need speed. If you can walk 500 metres in a half hour, you're in the side.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I agree that we need to start experimenting a bit more in order to find our next path to success. However, this must also be tempered by remaining somewhat competitive as no one will develop if we start losing by 60+ and have zero ball. In some ways, this experimentation has already happened - I, for one, didn't see Aliir being used as an alternate ruck. However, other things I think could be trialed include:

* Playing Mills & Rowbottom in the guts.
    * Playing Cameron & Sinclair together.
    * Getting some speed at half back by using COR and Florent together moving Lloyd to a wing.
    * Swap Heeney & Parker. That is Parker plays 80% forward 20% mid. Heeney vice versa. I actually see Parker very much like Ziebell now.
    Yes to all of those suggestions. Moving Parker out of the mids will make a space for Mills.

It’s probably going to make things worse in the short term, so has to commit to it for a block of games 4-6 or so

Out : Harry C. & Jack
    In: COR & Ronke

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm the stand in coach for the game. We need speed. If you can walk 500 metres in a half hour, you're in the side.
    I'd be pushing it, but I will give it a red hot go.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Who we got rid of at the end of last year did make me to question where we were going late last year. Surely Marsh, Foote, Rohan, Hanners, (Alex Johnston), Newman, Robinson and Towers would be very handy at the moment for depth. They are not here so a mute point! I agree 100% that they were unlikely to take us to the next flag. (Big full stop)

So my thoughts were that we kept the experienced players to train the next and up and coming players. McVeigh, Lloyd, Jack, Smith and Grundy etc. They are / were very good players and if they they were on the paddock enough we would be performing better week to week. Short story is that father time has caught up with them. My opinion is that it is time to pass on your knowledge and tips of the trade and get out of the way. Time for others take the lead!

Swans game plan for the last (X) years has been a typically defensive style of play. Flooding back and being better at stoppages. This is the team we have enjoyed and loved. This team has taken years to build.

WE (Royal WE) don't change our game plan overnight and the AFL has changed the rules. This aligned with big player movements. Probably a smart move by the player management team and coaches. This has not been good for out defensive game plan and win loss ratios. Short story is it just hasn't worked. (another big full stop) If you look closely at all teams those with this defensive style of play. They are not leading if we use the ladder as the assessment tool. Therefore in today's conditions we need to change and grow quickly.

WE have great crop of players coming through. If they can play cohesively, and be allowed to use some of their natural aggressive skills. I feel we can match with the best.

Therefore it is time to blood all the best options for the future.

Unfortunately Reid and Jack won't be there for the next flag and I suggest we take the hurt now. Both out of this weeks team, to share skills with the seconds.

I feel we need to only tweak our game plan. I know that change comes slowly to the Swans. 110% effort, and I see improvement I am happy. Whether that be as a player, team offensive or defensive units. Continual growth and improvement is all any reasonable person can ask for.

COR, Clark and Cameron in for Reid, Cunningham and Jack.

I would keep Buddy off the field and get him fit and ready for late in the season and 2020. However wouldn't be surprised to see him replace a tall forward...

Those who are knocking the swans should try to remember how good was it when we won our first game after 26 losses back 93. I felt like we had won the lottery. My kids still talk about how excited I was. (Probably because I took them to Maccas.. big celebration)

Swans will be back and there is only one way for us to go from position 18th.

Upwards.

Go the Swans!

My team for life!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I like your general trend Rod, and agree with most of what you said.

The sole exception I'd make is Sam Reid. He is 27, right in the critical age bracket where we are lacking. We have seen him play good football in the past, and flashes of that since he got over his injuries and recommenced regular senior's play. "Flashes" means that he can take a great mark, or can also watch it fall through his hands; score a long goal kick, or watch it drift a bit wide. And he can certainly tackle.

I think he's in a different category from Kieren, and that his best bet is to keep working hard and take the game on. We got him because of his formidable size and strength, and I'm not prepared to move him on unless he has had a good long spell where he is. Unfortunately we haven't seen a lot of that largely due to his injuries, but I believe he can put the parts together and make a very useful footballer. Let's see what happens a bit further down the track.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Who we got rid of at the end of last year did make me to question where we were going late last year. Surely Marsh, Foote, Rohan, Hanners, (Alex Johnston), Newman, Robinson and Towers would be very handy at the moment for depth. They are not here so a mute point! I agree 100% that they were unlikely to take us to the next flag. (Big full stop)

So my thoughts were that we kept the experienced players to train the next and up and coming players. McVeigh, Lloyd, Jack, Smith and Grundy etc. They are / were very good players and if they they were on the paddock enough we would be performing better week to week. Short story is that father time has caught up with them. My opinion is that it is time to pass on your knowledge and tips of the trade and get out of the way. Time for others take the lead!

Swans game plan for the last (X) years has been a typically defensive style of play. Flooding back and being better at stoppages. This is the team we have enjoyed and loved. This team has taken years to build.

WE (Royal WE) don't change our game plan overnight and the AFL has changed the rules. This aligned with big player movements. Probably a smart move by the player management team and coaches. This has not been good for out defensive game plan and win loss ratios. Short story is it just hasn't worked. (another big full stop) If you look closely at all teams those with this defensive style of play. They are not leading if we use the ladder as the assessment tool. Therefore in today's conditions we need to change and grow quickly.

WE have great crop of players coming through. If they can play cohesively, and be allowed to use some of their natural aggressive skills. I feel we can match with the best.

Therefore it is time to blood all the best options for the future.

Unfortunately Reid and Jack won't be there for the next flag and I suggest we take the hurt now. Both out of this weeks team, to share skills with the seconds.

I feel we need to only tweak our game plan. I know that change comes slowly to the Swans. 110% effort, and I see improvement I am happy. Whether that be as a player, team offensive or defensive units. Continual growth and improvement is all any reasonable person can ask for.

COR, Clark and Cameron in for Reid, Cunningham and Jack.

I would keep Buddy off the field and get him fit and ready for late in the season and 2020. However wouldn't be surprised to see him replace a tall forward...

Those who are knocking the swans should try to remember how good was it when we won our first game after 26 losses back 93. I felt like we had won the lottery. My kids still talk about how excited I was. (Probably because I took them to Maccas.. big celebration)

Swans will be back and there is only one way for us to go from position 18th.

Upwards.

Go the Swans!

My team for life!
    +1. Sanity and positivity.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast