Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Changes for Round VIII v Bombers

Great post Rod but Blood Fever is right about Reid-we need him forward or back, but please not in the ruck! Remember with Goodsey?

If I'd love to see Sinclair play forward with Cameron in the ruck. If bud plays make him a high half forward and push Sinclair back deep. Paps and resting onballer to crumb. Hayward the floating HFF. 90s style setup that gives us space to lead into from fast forward entries.

If the Essendon drop players back get Dawson and Bud to go long from 50.

Injuries and form have robbed us of expectations in regards to Reid.

He was my tough love call. By dropping him I propose I was giving him the opportunity to get match ready in the lower grade. Give McCartin a chance to shine...

Melican, Mills and Reid returning from injuries I only targeted one... and all have shown average to indifferent form in 2019.

I could be swayed if form improves... and agree 27 he should be in his prime.

Before we pick Cameron go back and have a look at his one and only AFL game V Gold Coast last year. He was so far out of his depth they couldn't even put him on the ground towards the end of the game. I haven't seen any great improvement since then.

Veterans List
    Looks like Smith won't be playing anytime soon. He has had more surgery on his hamstring. I don't think I've seen a hamstring take this long to recover before.

I also read that Cunningham is going to be out for 6-8 weeks. We seem to have a lot of experienced players with long term injuries.

Hopefully Papley will be ok for this week. Charlie said he pulled up sore after that heavy knock to the ribs.

How good is Rampe? How many fullbacks can play on Charlie Cameron one week and Joe Daniher the next? Not too many. Right now I can't think of any others but I'm not trying hard.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Before we pick Cameron go back and have a look at his one and only AFL game V Gold Coast last year. He was so far out of his depth they couldn't even put him on the ground towards the end of the game. I haven't seen any great improvement since then.
    I think Cameron should only be brought into the team if the coaches think Sinclair is needed as a marking forward - ie if they think that a combination of Reid, Blakey and McCartin (or some of the above) aren't capable of providing that target - and that's at least arguable based on the season to date.

I'm with a couple of others (Nico maybe?) who don't think Cameron is going to fundamentally change our ruck success. Sure, he's taller than Sinclair but otherwise he's a pretty similar kind of player. He can dominate in ruck contests when matched up against smaller or vastly inferior NEAFL rucks but tends not to against the more athletic, high jumping players on the AFL club lists. For example, he's played against both Archie Smith and Tom Nicholls in recent weeks, and I think he struggled a bit against both, at least at centre clearances. Where he is highly valuable in the NEAFL team is his work around the ground. He reads the play well, gets into the right spot a lot of the time, and takes contested marks. Which is similar to the main value that Sinclair provides already. He's unlikely to be better at that aspect at AFL level than Sinclair, given he's less mobile and less experienced. Hence I think the only justification for picking him is to use Sinclair elsewhere (or if Sinclair is injured).

I also don't really think that marking power in our forward line is much of a problem. Structure and movement is - which is partly a result of the lack of experience. And delivery to the forward line certainly is. But on the few occasions each game when the ball is delivered forward in a manner that is vaguely to the advantage of our forwards, we've been taking enough contested marks. Moreover, those marks are spread across a range of players - Sinclair (as a resting ruck), Reid, McCartin and Blakey have all taken a few good, truly contested marks this season. Then you have Dawson, Heeney, Hayward and Parker of the not-quite-KPP height players who can all take a good grab. And even someone like Papley is a pretty good contested mark for his size.

The keys to scoring more goals are, IMO, getting the ball in there more often, getting the ball in there more constructively, and more movement by the players in our forward line (when we have some there), vastly improving the ground ball work of the forwards, and vastly improving pressure so that we stop letting the ball escape so easily when the opposition wins possession. Not increasing marking power, and certainly not at the expense of reduced mobility (as replacing one of our young, albeit inexperienced, forwards with Sinclair would do).

I think your analysis has gone to another level this season, liz!

Thank you Liz! I still would give Cameron a run of games to see if he has it or not- last year we couldn’t do it but now we’re rebuilding! Who else do we have?

We need to play Reid all year. He needs to get his touch back after missing so much footy.

If Horse is committed to the rebuild, then ....

OUT :
    Jack (A shadow of his former self, should of retired last year)
    Fox ( Clearly not capable of consistent AFL standard)
    Cunningham (Injured)

IN :
    COR (way overdue)
    Rose (Need to give him minimum 3 games to see if he can produce at AFL level)
    Rowbottom ( Big fan already, he's a natural footballer, he's a future onballer, we need to get games into him)
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

You may be right about Fox, Ernie, but in fairness he hasn’t had a run of games either- in and out like a yo-yo. I rate Rose and would defo give him 4-5 games. Rowbottom looks promising but needs more time in the ressies- bring him back after 6 games or so.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast