Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam Naismith

Sam Naismith

Does Sam Naismith really exist?
    I read on afl.com that Nic Natinui is about to commence full training and could be available for selection after the bye in round 13. Meaning NN will be back playing inside 12 months after his 2nd ACL. Naismith did his ACL in preseason 2017 and we haven’t seen him since. WHY?
    Sam is only listed on the injured list as tbc. What does that even mean?

And on other injured players. Who is this Ling bloke we’ve had on our list for what seems like forever? Don’t anyone ever tell me that we are good at managing injured players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Does Sam Naismith really exist?
    I read on afl.com that Nic Natinui is about to commence full training and could be available for selection after the bye in round 13. Meaning NN will be back playing inside 12 months after his 2nd ACL. Naismith did his ACL in preseason 2017 and we haven’t seen him since. WHY?
    Sam is only listed on the injured list as tbc. What does that even mean?

And on other injured players. Who is this Ling bloke we’ve had on our list for what seems like forever? Don’t anyone ever tell me that we are good at managing injured players
    I do believe it was last year's preseason. Ling is back playing in the NEAFL, has been for several weeks.

It would be good to know where Big Sam is in his recovery though.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd have thought our experiences watching AJ's knee issues would have taught us that recovering from an ACL is not a linear, predictable process.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I do believe it was last year's preseason. Ling is back playing in the NEAFL, has been for several weeks.

It would be good to know where Big Sam is in his recovery though.
    Yes last years pre season. Thanks for the correction. Still doesn’t alter the fact that Crayfish has taken forever to recover and there are no signs of a recovery or more to the point no news of a return. It’s very frustrating when Tyson Goldsack did an ACL in last years pre season and played 4 games last year

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'd have thought our experiences watching AJ's knee issues would have taught us that recovering from an ACL is not a linear, predictable process.
    AJ’s was multiple ACL’s. Naismith is a single injury. Not even similar

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    AJ’s was multiple ACL’s. Naismith is a single injury. Not even similar

Naismith may only have ruptured his ligament once, but he was reported as having had a set back a month or two ago and had to have some more surgery.

And Alex's comeback even after his last reconstruction (ignoring the one he required after making a successful comeback) was slowed by various other soft tissue injuries, which were probably at least in part caused by the whole rehab process.

Whatever the set back or seriousness of Naismith injury, it would be really appreciated if the club could give us, the supporters, more information, apart from TBC, and as such would end speculation and frustration.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Whatever the set back or seriousness of Naismith injury, it would be really appreciated if the club could give us, the supporters, more information, apart from TBC, and as such would end speculation and frustration.
    TBC means "indefinite" or "they just don't know". Not everything fits into neat, predictable timeframes, especially recovery from serious injury. Would it really be better for the club to make a stab in the dark at some time frame (only to be later criticised when it turns out to be wrong)?

I think TBC is best interpreted as "we won't see him back in the seniors until very close to the end of the season, if at all" given they will want to give him a solid block of NEAFL time when he's ready to play. And it's not like there will be any great need to rush him back to make us more ruck-competitive for the finals.
    Last edited by liz; 8th May 2019 at 01:36 AM.

Unfortunately we can’t count on big Sam for quite a while-as Liz says every case is unique. So what to do? My pet theme in case you’ve missed it, is that we need 2 ruckmen to help our mids, where it all starts. We don’t have a dominating ruckman, but one who tries hard and gives his best each week. Yes, our mids have been poor compared to previous years, but moving Mills there, who is out of form, may not help much. Having alternating rucks may give them a split second more to find the ball! Hence Cameron- let’s find out if he can make it by giving him a run of games. Appreciate that at NEAFL level his form may not warrant senior selection: who else do we have?

Senior Player
    Just shows the lack of foresight by our club in putting all of their ruck eggs in the Naismith basket

Assuming he doesn't play this year (and that's a fair bet) he will have played 26 games over his 6 seasons, not his fault but he's been a sicknote for the majority of his time on our list

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Just shows the lack of foresight by our club in putting all of their ruck eggs in the Naismith basket
    Bulldust. At the time, we had Tippett, Naismith and Sinclair and have since recruited Cameron as a backup.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Bulldust. At the time, we had Tippett, Naismith and Sinclair and have since recruited Cameron as a backup.
    How is it bulldust?

It's 2019, Tippett retired at the beginning of last year so I'm not sure why you'd even mention him, you might as well have included Adam Goodes as one of our options.

We have headed into 2019 where rule changes mean having a dominant ruck is more important than ever with 2 Ruck/Forward Hybrids (one has only played 1 game), and a traditional ruckman coming off a knee reco who can't get on the park.

Please explain how you think this is good strategy/planning?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast