Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round X Collingwood Magpies

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I've also been impressed by McCartin; mainly for his decision making. He seems to get to the right place, and if he doesn't take possession, he's really good at tapping the ball into a position that advantages a team mate. I also expect him to become a more formidable marking target, once he gains a bit more power.
    He already is, taken a number ofclunkers against quality KPD the last two weeks. Tracking very nicely :-)

With McCartin, Reid, Dawson and Blakey, we have some real targets, so many that our standard bomb it long forward to a contest may actually work!!

Veterans List
    The last two weeks the pies have run away with the game in the last quarter. So we need to have a lead otherwise I fear it may be a painful result. We are a young side but we have passion and if we can get Buddy and Kennedy back then you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    He already is, taken a number ofclunkers against quality KPD the last two weeks. Tracking very nicely :-)

With McCartin, Reid, Dawson and Blakey, we have some real targets, so many that our standard bomb it long forward to a contest may actually work!!
    Yes, Dawson has surprised me a bit, with his ability to take strong contested marks. Heeney can also pluck one or two. Papley can also mop up the crumbs. Though I wouldn't mind if Ronke recaptured his form, in order to give some more crumbing assistance.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, Dawson has surprised me a bit, with his ability to take strong contested marks. Heeney can also pluck one or two. Papley can also mop up the crumbs. Though I wouldn't mind if Ronke recaptured his form, in order to give some more crumbing assistance.
    Parker, Heeney, Hayward - all non-KPP height but capable of marking out of their height division.

I reckon we have a very talented collection of players to build a forward line around, including those who'll play up the ground and either rest in the forward line or run there from the midfield. They just need a little time to mature.

I do reckon, though, that even at their current level of inexperience, they'd be more effective if they didn't all clump together at a spot 20 or 30m out from goal, but learned to move around and spread the defenders out. I'd back all of them to win their fair share of one-on-one contested marks, but winning four-on-four contested marks consistently is a bit tougher.
    Last edited by liz; 22nd May 2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo

Agree Liz
    But the zone defence does make it hard to chip around into the key areas

Would be nice to see us hybrid though in our entries

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Yes Liz, completely overlooked the marking capabilities of Heeney and Hayward both of whom consistently take great grabs.

Wonder if there's room for Buddy & Menzel now? :-)

Big test this week against a top team.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Agree Liz
    But the zone defence does make it hard to chip around into the key areas

Would be nice to see us hybrid though in our entries
    Hybrid?

If Clarke stays in the team it must be as a tagger...His disposal and decision making demand it.

OUT : Jones, Rowbottom

IN : Kennedy, Franklin

If so, I hope they leave our forward line intact and play Buddy on the wing, given his magnificent field kicking.

If these 2 don't get up then bring in Rose and give Rowbottom another run.....Please not Jack.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Parker, Heeney, Hayward - all non-KPP height but capable of marking out of their height division.

I reckon we have a very talented collection of players to build a forward line around, including those who'll play up the ground and either rest in the forward line or run there from the midfield. They just need a little time to mature.

I do reckon, though, that even at their current level of inexperience, they'd be more effective if they didn't all clump together at a spot 20 or 30m out from goal, but learned to move around and spread the defenders out. I'd back all of them to win their fair share of one-on-one contested marks, but winning four-on-four contested marks consistently is a bit tougher.
    Yes, I think that the young forwards will learn to spread more, with more experience. Thinking about it, I imagine that pretty well every medium to large bodied forward, that gets drafted, would've went through their junior years being the team's star forward. So, if an attack's starting, there's probably an optimum position for the star forward to get to. If this is the case, then most of our forwards will have similar habitual leading patterns. So, it may be a matter of them breaking habits and keeping in mind, that often you may be the second or third option, or even a decoy. Of course, if Buddy is on the field, it may be easier to learn, that you're not the first option.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Buddy to be named.
    I'm STILL available... they better call me before I have my first drink at the game. Could get messy after that.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I have just looked up the NEAFL schedule - they play at Metricon on Saturday.

So boring nothing before the Collingwood game on Friday; and a long trip home from a 7:50 start

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think this game is probably beyond any team the Swans could put on the park, even more so with so much experience out of the side. Please don't put Jack back.

These suggestions are based more in hope than reality. I'd like to see Buddy and Joey running around on Friday night. Can't believe I'm saying it, but I think Clarke stays after his job on Higgins. Sidebottom perhaps this week?

OUT: Jones (hamstring), Rowbottom
    IN: Franklin, Kennedy
    It’s hard to fault Clarke’s effort. & maybe better suited to this type of role anyway. Deserves to stay (for the moment)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast