Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    In Cameron Rose Rowbottom Stoddart Thurlow
    Out Fox
    Intriguing. But who will play?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    In Cameron Rose Rowbottom Stoddart Thurlow
    Out Fox
    Assume all of those are on the bench so we're none the wiser until tomorrow evening? They were always the likely ins on last weeks NEAFL form. Shows Grassy hasn't jumped Cameron in the ruck pecking order, yet.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think it's pretty clear from what the Swans have published that Rowbottom is touted to play, at least at this stage. They start by saying they've made one change to the "squad" before proceeding to name five players. But the accompanying picture of Rowbottom suggests to me that he's in.

Thanks for correcting my mistake, Liz

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    You must have read wrong because Harry is in full training. The others, sure.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    No I didn't read wrong. The article quoted Longmire saying that Kennedy, Jones, Cunningham and Jack will be available after the bye. Harry may be in full training but he's not going to be selected to play against the Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    It's no surprise to me that people are a bit confused about injured players' progress.
    Swans' management has played ducks and drakes with us for years now.
    Players just disappear from injured lists; estimates of return dates seem to be whatever number the representative thinks of at that moment.
    I think it started with Roosy, and has been enthusiastically embraced by Longmire.
    Beats me as to why.
    The first person that I remember not playing, while not being on the injury list, is Jared Crouch: who was quite injury prone at the end of his career. His reasoning was, that if his injury was revealed, then there was a chance that his opponents would target that injury, once he started playing again. Maybe some people are still choosing to do that? Though these days, the ones not playing and not on the injury list, usually seem to be obscure rookies; such as, McLean this year, and Pink last year. Which gives rise to the suspicion, that whoever compiled the lists, had just forgotten that they existed.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it's pretty clear from what the Swans have published that Rowbottom is touted to play, at least at this stage. They start by saying they've made one change to the "squad" before proceeding to name five players. But the accompanying picture of Rowbottom suggests to me that he's in.
    Are you inferring Rowbottom's selection from the publication of his photo? That would suggest that the selection panel has informed the media team they've already selected Rowbottom to play and either directed the media team to publish his photo or the media team have taken it upon themselves to do so, for the purpose of flagging his impending selection. I'm not sure either option seems that likely.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Are you inferring Rowbottom's selection from the publication of his photo? That would suggest that the selection panel has informed the media team they've already selected Rowbottom to play and either directed the media team to publish his photo or the media team have taken it upon themselves to do so, for the purpose of flagging his impending selection. I'm not sure either option seems that likely.
    I'm suggesting that the opening sentence that they've made one change indicates that they have already decided upon the team, irrespective of the fact that the final team won't officially be announced until tomorrow afternoon. So they probably gave the media team a team sheet with Rowbottom in the team and the other four "ins" listed as emergencies - just updating the template they've used every week until now, since this is our first Sunday game of the year.

And without thinking, the media team has then added a photo of Rowbottom because he's been named in the team.

Had they not started by saying just one change had been made I might not interpret the picture of Rowbottom as a clue. But they did.

If I'm wrong when the teams are announced tomorrow, I'll crawl back into my hole.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'm suggesting that the opening sentence that they've made one change indicates that they have already decided upon the team, irrespective of the fact that the final team won't officially be announced until tomorrow afternoon. So they probably gave the media team a team sheet with Rowbottom in the team and the other four "ins" listed as emergencies - just updating the template they've used every week until now, since this is our first Sunday game of the year.

And without thinking, the media team has then added a photo of Rowbottom because he's been named in the team.

Had they not started by saying just one change had been made I might not interpret the picture of Rowbottom as a clue. But they did.

If I'm wrong when the teams are announced tomorrow, I'll crawl back into my hole.
    I guess my interpretation of the suggestion they have made one change is the reference to Fox out. I also thought they finalised the changes after a final training session on the Friday.

Anyway, your theory is plausible and your suggestion in the final paragraph is too harsh on yourself. I'd suggest neither of us need crawl anywhere whether or not Rowbottom is selected tomorrow.

Now I’m torn ...

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I guess my interpretation of the suggestion they have made one change is the reference to Fox out. I also thought they finalised the changes after a final training session on the Friday.
    Yep. Liz over-thinking it on this one.

(And even if Rowbottom ends up being the the one in Matt and I can’t be proven wrong !)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast