Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 12 Swans v Eagles Sun 9-Jun at SCG #AFLSwansEagles @sydneyswans

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Agree. I think he just needs as much game time as he can get. Keep him in.
    His kick to Buddy was sublime. Sure, he had plenty of time, after his opponent fell over, but it's hard to think he could have placed the ball any more perfectly.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Tom was fantastic, however from where I sat, Aliir was BOG , he reads the play brilliantly and is so clever . He’s an awesome talent .
    I watched Aliir closely when he was at my end. He watches and reads the game so well it’s often like he reads not just the play well, but the ball bounce and trajectory. It’s a bit freaky. He often starts moving before the ball is in flight. A great game by him today
    Life's not a spectator sport

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    After today Menzel will most likely lose his spot again if a couple come back in after the bye. I'll be disappointed if he does as even though he has been fairly quiet as I think he'll only improve with time and needs to settle in and get used to his teammates. The man has so much skill and talent and I really feel he will add another dimension to our forward half if we just persist!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Maybe one of those players who don’t need get a lot of the ball to make an impact. That kick to Buddy - on the run to pick out a man in the middle of 4 defenders was superb. I’m hoping he stays &, if so, can’t wait for him to kick 5-6 goals against his old team

I also noticed defensive pressure & willingness to chase down. I don’t know if he can tackle, but that pressure makes it harder for teams to move the ball out of defence effectively. Actually, this was a highlight across the ground for me, the Weagles like space & today we managed to shut them down.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Tom was fantastic, however from where I sat, Aliir was BOG , he reads the play brilliantly and is so clever . He’s an awesome talent .
    Inspired recruiting when he was talked of as being a rookie chance. We should have selected Ajang Ajang in the Mid Season draft!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    We (mrs d and I) couldn't get to the game, were already committed to the Opera House where our younger son (an Eagles fan) was singing in a Beethoven program.....................
    Some people just don't get parenting right :-)

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    After today Menzel will most likely lose his spot again if a couple come back in after the bye. I'll be disappointed if he does as even though he has been fairly quiet as I think he'll only improve with time and needs to settle in and get used to his teammates. The man has so much skill and talent and I really feel he will add another dimension to our forward half if we just persist!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Can't see that happening. He needs games under his belt to improve. He's had no pre-season and I'm sure that the club want him to get his conditioning back in the seniors. Otherwise they would have given him more games in the NEAFL. I've got my fingers crossed that he can avoid injury.

Regular in the Side
    do they count kick ins after a point in kicks count. must do for Lloyd to get 48. wasn't in swans best 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I watched Aliir closely when he was at my end. He watches and reads the game so well it’s often like he reads not just the play well, but the ball bounce and trajectory. It’s a bit freaky. He often starts moving before the ball is in flight. A great game by him today
    It’s a beautiful thing to see. He is rarely out of the contest.

My favourite moment, tho was Aliir streaming onto a McVeigh handpass (following some nice scrapping from Papley and Ollie) to deliver a perfect kick to Sam Reid. Goal!

AA still mostly looks for a shorter hand-off after an intercept - but if he can kick like that coming out of defence… then what a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Looking from the outside Papley appears to be the heart and souls of the team. I'm sure he's not alone but he seems to have a drive and enthusiasm that can't be matched. Somewhat similar to what Kirk and Kelly meant to the team when playing.
    I though this when he was appointed to the leadership group. He may have come across in former years as a bit wild and undisciplined, but his energy and passion made him a natural choice for me. Perhaps there is a bit of the Henry IV to Henry V transition to his story as well.

It's also time that Nick Smith was retired as the official AFL "most underrated player". He has been on so many "most underrated" lists that even with his current invisibility due to injury, I am now graduating him to "rated" player. Taking his place is Ollie Florent. Looks dangerous every time he touches the ball. Can run and carry, and has excellent disposal. Still a little green but definitely showing his value as a number 11 draft pick. I can see him taking McVeigh's place in future years.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    It’s a beautiful thing to see. He is rarely out of the contest.

My favourite moment, tho was Aliir streaming onto a McVeigh handpass (following some nice scrapping from Papley and Ollie) to deliver a perfect kick to Sam Reid. Goal!

AA still mostly looks for a shorter hand-off after an intercept - but if he can kick like that coming out of defence… then what a weapon.
    Yes it was fantastic - unfortunately Allir and Lloyd want to do suicidal sideways kicks in the backline that do no one any favours

Pushing for Selection poundpuppy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    We (mrs d and I) couldn't get to the game, were already committed to the Opera House where our younger son (an Eagles fan) was singing in a Beethoven program.

Our boy then opened the last section of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, Song of Joy. I've heard of happenstance but that takes the cake.
    I couldn't get to the game either because I was also singing and couldn't check the scores till the concert was over ... I thought I was seeing things!

I was in the choir and not a soloist though It was definitely an appropriate song for the occasion!
    Last edited by poundpuppy; 10th June 2019 at 01:01 PM.
    Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
    And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!

www.paws.com.au

I really enjoyed going to a day game, at an SCG packed with families. Massive crowd yet the beer queue was shorter than the line for hot chips!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast