Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 14 Swans v Hawks Fri 21-Jun at SCG #AFLSwansHawks @sydneyswans

Opti-pessi-misti
    Regarding Mills. I was listening to the ABC pre match Friday night when Tighe Kennelly was interviewed. Speaking about the Swans back line he said that Mills was no longer playing an intercept role but was playing Nick Smith's role and was doing a very good job!!
    I don't know why but I was surprised. It does explain why Callum has seemed to disappear from view this year. From midfield to back pocket, he is doing his bit for the team no doubt. Is it because there is no one else? Surely that is not going to be a long term role for him.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Regarding Mills. I was listening to the ABC pre match Friday night when Tighe Kennelly was interviewed. Speaking about the Swans back line he said that Mills was no longer playing an intercept role but was playing Nick Smith's role and was doing a very good job!!
    I don't know why but I was surprised. It does explain why Callum has seemed to disappear from view this year. From midfield to back pocket, he is doing his bit for the team no doubt. Is it because there is no one else? Surely that is not going to be a long term role for him.
    Tadhg

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Gotta love this club - the last 6 weeks have been astonishing given where we're at. The self-belief must be unbelievable. You wonder how clubs like Melbourne, Saints or Carlton can ever compete?
    Absolutely agree with this. Rd 6 or 7 I thought we were in for a very long year (By Swans standards!) where we might get a few surprise wins, but probably really be a transition year solely. We are still up and down, but playing some pretty good footy at times and getting some decent wins. I doubt we will get enough to really challenge for finals, but we can easily get to 10 or so wins I feel, and in a 'rebuilding' year that would be outstanding after such an awful start.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I called an umpire a bald headed flog on Friday night as loudly as I could. No one batted an eyelid.
    Yeah, not sure I’d be proud of admitting to that

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Funny thing is, I find myself quite happy when menzel has a low possession rohan-like game. Weird. Expectations, I guess.
    Yup I was thinking the same thing. At this stage I’d say Rohan’s underperforming output with us was probably better than Menzel’s output thus far. And he looks better at Geelong (though I still can get used to him in blue and white hoops). Early days I guess.
    And I much prefer Rohan in these hoops ...
    Last edited by goswannies; 23rd June 2019 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Yeah, not sure I’d be proud of admitting to that
    It was an experiment

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I called an umpire a bald headed flog on Friday night as loudly as I could. No one batted an eyelid.
    Flog is a stupid Melbourne word that was bandied around too much during the Adam Goodes saga. It has no place in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Flog is a stupid Melbourne word that was bandied around too much during the Adam Goodes saga. It has no place in Sydney.
    "Sancrosant" is another stupid over used Melbourne word.
    Same with "frothy" for a beer. Never heard that in Sydney.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    "Sancrosant" is another stupid over used Melbourne word.
    Same with "frothy" for a beer. Never heard that in Sydney.
    But you find these little differences all over. In Adelaide for instance a pushbike is a treadly. Let's not get into a stupid Sydney vs Melbourne thing, they're both great places.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    Yeah come on Sydney-siders, TURN IT UP!

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I would still prefer to see Mills playing through the midfield. I think we have 3 good candidates for a small defender/ HBF role waiting in the wings: Stoddart, Ling and McInerney. All have great pace, skill and are keen to move the ball quickly.

When the defence gets drawn up the ground and there's a turnover, it's nice to have some pacy defenders who can run back with the play and cover the rebounding opposition. Players like Mills and Lloyd are very good, but usually get overrun in this regard.

I think it suits our current list of emerging players to have explosive rebound from defence. Ling has been injured, but for those who watch the NEAFL games, it's a delight to see Stoddart and McInerney taking on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would still prefer to see Mills playing through the midfield. I think we have 3 good candidates for a small defender/ HBF role waiting in the wings: Stoddart, Ling and McInerney. All have great pace, skill and are keen to move the ball quickly.

When the defence gets drawn up the ground and there's a turnover, it's nice to have some pacy defenders who can run back with the play and cover the rebounding opposition. Players like Mills and Lloyd are very good, but usually get overrun in this regard.

I think it suits our current list of emerging players to have explosive rebound from defence. Ling has been injured, but for those who watch the NEAFL games, it's a delight to see Stoddart and McInerney taking on the game.
    Yes, those three are fun to watch: in their own different ways. Ling, when right, has some dazzling evasive skills. McInerney is a classy mover and excellent decision maker. While Stoddart can remind a bit of Leo Barry, in the way that he often just takes off and then works out what he's doing, while he's doing it. And it usually works. To the extent that I'd say, that some of our best passages of play in the NEAFL, have started with Stoddart getting the ball in the backline.
    Though I'm not sure if I really want any of them promoted this year. Mainly because I wouldn't really feel confident, that they could defend against quality small forwards, who have a few more preseasons in the gym.