Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 15 Swans v Suns Sat 29-Jun at SCG #AFLSwansSuns @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    With a torn RC
    Then yes ... and no.

A partial tear - especially one that heals, yes.

A full tear (often supraspinatus) or involving multiple tendons of the RC, not likely. This is because the RC is responsible for rotating the arm as well as contributing to elevation of the arm beyond 30!degrees. The deltoid is a significant elevator of the arm, however, the RC also contributes and it also helps to stabilise the proximal pull of the humeral head on the glenoid when the deltoid contracts. With a heavily or fully compromised RC, you will lose power and range. This is potentially ok was we get older and don’t always need to perform a lot of overhead activity (& can get away with deltoid muscle compensation) but not great for younger people or elite athletes. That’s a very simplistic description, but it’s mostly just to illustrate that a torn RC can have significant consequences.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches votes

Jordan Dawson (SYD)

Luke Parker (SYD)

Isaac Heeney (SYD)

Callum Mills (SYD)

Dane Rampe (SYD)

Josh Kennedy (SYD

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Then yes ... and no.

A partial tear - especially one that heals, yes.

A full tear (often supraspinatus) or involving multiple tendons of the RC, not likely. This is because the RC is responsible for rotating the arm as well as contributing to elevation of the arm beyond 30!degrees. The deltoid is a significant elevator of the arm, however, the RC also contributes and it also helps to stabilise the proximal pull of the humeral head on the glenoid when the deltoid contracts. With a heavily or fully compromised RC, you will lose power and range. This is potentially ok was we get older and don’t always need to perform a lot of overhead activity (& can get away with deltoid muscle compensation) but not great for younger people or elite athletes. That’s a very simplistic description, but it’s mostly just to illustrate that a torn RC can have significant consequences.
    Only going off my own experiences with full tears. I could still completely function, play footy and do weights. The only thing I struggled with was overhead dumbbell presses.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches votes

Jordan Dawson (SYD)

Luke Parker (SYD)

Isaac Heeney (SYD)

Callum Mills (SYD)

Dane Rampe (SYD)

Josh Kennedy (SYD
    Slightly surprised that Dawson didn't get the perfect ten. And I would have given my second vote to Mills. But hey, with Parker getting nine, at least we now have someone on the leader board.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Slightly surprised that Dawson didn't get the perfect ten. And I would have given my second vote to Mills. But hey, with Parker getting nine, at least we now have someone on the leader board.
    You have a chance to make your own votes counts by voting in the TLM.

Troy Luff Medal Voting for @sydneyswans BoG #AFL Rd15 #AFLSwansSuns is open (link below)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You have a chance to make your own votes counts by voting in the TLM.

Troy Luff Medal Voting for @sydneyswans BoG #AFL Rd15 #AFLSwansSuns is open (link below)
    Yes, but that's something that I usually don't get around to doing, until just before the kickoff of the next game.

Only going off my own experiences with full tears. I could still completely function, play footy and do weights. The only thing I struggled with was overhead dumbbell presses.
    Of course. Can’t refute personal experience. Every case is different. And as (I think) I might have written somewhere, there are 4 parts to the rotator cuff, so if the majority are intact, some compensation can occur, as does the deltoid.

I had a minor tear to my rotator cuff, and certain motions were extremely painful - there's no way I would have been playing football.

To be fair, there were some concomitant injuries in my case (abrasions & bruising especially on the hip, but also on the back and shoulder and a concussion for good measure) which may have played a part in that, but the shoulder tear was the one that generated the most pain for me and lasted the longest.

A few of us last season wanted Dawson to become a HBF swingman or third tall in defence attack to use his beautiful kicking as a weapon to counter attack with

We finally saw him in full flight on the weekend show what he can do in this position
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 2nd July 2019 at 03:39 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    A few of us last season wanted Dawson to become a HBF swingman or third tall in defence attack to use his beautiful kicking as a weapon to counter attack with

We finally saw him in full flight on the weekend show what he can do in this position
    Is he a better kick than Malceski? Joy to behold!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    In my mind, there a bit different in their preferred kicking style. I think Malceski used to kick a lot more darts: kicks that travelled between twenty and forty metres, without getting more than three or four metres above the ground, before directly hitting the target. Whereas Dawson tends to air it out a bit more, and probably goes more for a landing spot, where a team mate can run to the ball. Much like a gun quarterback, dropping it into the path of a breaking wide receiver. The best example of that on Saturday, was when he hit Papley in the left forward pocket. Of course, it's easier for the kicker if there are leads in motion. In that case, Papley started his lead from the right half forward flank, and was always clear of his opponent.

Actually, Papley's energetic leading has been impressing me lately. One thing that I've noticed recently, is at some centre bounces, he starts from wide right and then rapidly moves across half forward. I suspect that as well as hopefully providing a free target, the idea is to have him rapidly moving towards any dump kicks from the centre, with his pace giving him an advantage over the more static central defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Reckon he's better in general play than the Great Malceski. He's certain better defensively and can take a mark.