Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 16 v Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    As good as Harry has been this season, surely he doesn't stroll back into the team after such a prolonged absence without at least one week in the NEAFL to get his match fitness up to scratch?
    I understand that if he gets through training on Thursday then he is in.

Harry Cunningham is poised to make his return for the Swans this weekend after a long injury absence...

Category: | Herald Sun

The 25-year-old hasn’t played since suffering an adductor tear in the round seven loss to Brisbane Lions but comes into contention to face Essendon on Saturday.

“He’s been training really well for the last two, three weeks,” said Swans head of football Charlie Gardiner. “We think he’ll be available this week, subject to him getting through training. Where he plays at this stage I don’t know but we hope to see him back on the weekend.

As you heard here first.

Captain I took your email to mean he’s in [the AFL]. So I am disagreeing with you. From what Gardeners says, he could very well come back via NEAFL.

Yes I meant the AFL.

Fair call to disagree. Let's wait and see on Thursday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Harry Cunningham is poised to make his return for the Swans this weekend after a long injury absence...

Category: | Herald Sun

The 25-year-old hasn’t played since suffering an adductor tear in the round seven loss to Brisbane Lions but comes into contention to face Essendon on Saturday.

“He’s been training really well for the last two, three weeks,” said Swans head of football Charlie Gardiner. “We think he’ll be available this week, subject to him getting through training. Where he plays at this stage I don’t know but we hope to see him back on the weekend.
    I took "where he plays..." to mean: either in Melbourne against Essendon, or in Darwin against NT Thunder. Though I suppose it could mean, we don't know what position he'll play against Essendon?

Veteran Site Admin
    It is quite unusual for a player to return after a length of lay-off that Cunningham has had, and to not have their game time managed. That's the strongest argument for playing him in the NEAFL for at least one week, maybe longer. As Longmire has pointed out a few times, it's been many games since the senior team has finished the game with a full complement of players on the bench. The guys have done very well to run out games strongly when they have been down on rotations, but if you have a player who isn't capable of contributing even his "fair share" of onground time, let alone make up additional time if someone else is injured early, that puts even more strain on the other (mostly young) players.

I'll be very surprised if Cunningham comes straight back into the senior team.

I’m still picking Naismith to replace Sinclair; I take the point that his fitness and touch will be well off but if he just competes at most bounces (and is successful) that’s enough.
    Clarke to replace Ronke as he can run all day which will be needed at the MCG

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I’m still picking Naismith to replace Sinclair; I take the point that his fitness and touch will be well off but if he just competes at most bounces (and is successful) that’s enough.
    Clarke to replace Ronke as he can run all day which will be needed at the MCG
    But The medical staff haven’t cleared him to play ? I take your point but I think the reality is the club doctors aren’t confident his body would hold up in a game of footy, he hasn’t even played in the NEAFL ( In close to two years )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Clarke would be useful with his tackling and defensive running ability.

But I can't see them rushing back Naismith. I think he had a setback with his knee reconstruction earlier in the year. The club might be worried if he has to jump and smash into the other ruckman.

I don't think there is any chance Naismith will come back from an ACL straight onto the MCG.

I would have Hewett tag Dyson Heppel, who's the one that makes things happen for Essendon. I wouldn't bother with Ryan Clarke. Their other key movers are a bit too quick for him. One tag is enough. We want to move the ball too and not just let them run the lines all day.

I think we will only make forced changes, at this stage being just a replacement for Sinclair.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast