Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG - a cricket ground

SCG - a cricket ground

SCG trust is doing its best to avoid putting in drop-in cricket pitches, and apparently designed the new stands so there would not be a wide enough gap to drive in a new pitch in the future.

Nasty pieces of work that bunch.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    SCG trust is doing its best to avoid putting in drop-in cricket pitches, and apparently designed the new stands so there would not be a wide enough gap to drive in a new pitch in the future.

Cricket fan as well as Swans fan. AFL overreaching and arrogant as usual. Historic NSW cricket ground. Leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Cricket fan as well as Swans fan. AFL overreaching and arrogant as usual. Historic NSW cricket ground. Leave it alone.
    Why? Drop in pitches are used extensively today. They are good pitches and it stops the problem of pitches having to be relayed after every winter

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Why? Drop in pitches are used extensively today. They are good pitches and it stops the problem of pitches having to be relayed after every winter

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    Only used in states where AFL dominates. Not used overseas. Melbourne wicket was lifeless for years after drop in first used. Only marginally better now. Pitch preparation traditional part of the game. MCG, SCG, Gabba, Adelaide Oval all originally cricket grounds. SCG especially doesn't have to roll over to the demands of the AFL.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Apparently being the key word. Any actual facts to back up this allegation?
    And just curious what does SCG stand for again?

I would be interested to see if this is actually the case but my feel is that more people would go to the SCG every year to watch AFL than watch cricket.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I would be interested to see if this is actually the case but my feel is that more people would go to the SCG every year to watch AFL than watch cricket.
    I wasn't sure about this but according to the SCG 2017-18 annual report (PDF) - you are correct.

Total cricket attendance for that period was 371, 470. Total AFL attendance was 421, 838.

I've read that cricket brings in more revenue, but haven't seen the numbers for that anywhere yet.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I wasn't sure about this but according to the SCG 2017-18 annual report (PDF) - you are correct.

Total cricket attendance for that period was 371, 470. Total AFL attendance was 421, 838.

I've read that cricket brings in more revenue, but haven't seen the numbers for that anywhere yet.
    Clarkson brought up the different nature of the centre area as an excuse after we beat Hawks recently despite winning there over the last few years. Never been heard about since Swans started there nearly 40 years ago. AFL not the major sport in Sydney and the Swans have established themselves brilliantly and the proposed new facilities are fantastic. Club is really well respected. This sort of over reach, especially in conjunction with the AFL, could backfire in terms of PR.

Senior Player
    Clarkson brought up the different nature of the centre area as an excuse after we beat Hawks recently despite winning there over the last few years. Never been heard about since Swans started there nearly 40 years ago.
    Yes, for anyone a little baffled as to what the issue really is (as I was) - it's alleged that the cricket square is slipperier than the rest of the ground. There were also concerns as to how the surface would hold up under the increased schedule of other sports this season.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...02-p523hg.html

That article states that "Swans players have privately complained for years about slippery conditions on the cricket square once it was wet."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

Yes, you'd think it would. Tickets to the cricket are definitely higher than Swans ticket pricing. Also, people are there
    for six or seven hours as opposed to three for a Swans game, so cricket fans will be spending more on food & drinks.

I'm with you Blood Fever. I feel this way despite being way more passionate about footy (I only care about first class cricket) and despite the fact that I'm unsurprised that footy attracts greater numbers to the SCG, I'm only surprised the difference is so small but that's because I'm barely aware of BBL.

Senior Player
    Whether the centre square is "slippery" or not "slippery", don't both teams play on it at the same time, right? I don't understand
    the fuss.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast