Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 17 Swans v Blues Sat 13-Jul at SCG #AFLSwansBlues @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    They had a goal kicking “expert” on the Trends podcast earlier this year and he said goal kicking, particularly set shot kicking, is more than 50% in the mind. It’s not about technique.

It wasn’t that long ago that Lewis Jetta, a beautiful kick, recorded 19 behinds before his first goal.

- - - Updated - - -

He lacks confidence. I also wonder how much getting his jaw smashed in a collision earlier this year has affected him?
    If that is his issue he shouldn’t be playing

A couple of weeks ago we had won three in a row including a smashing of the reigning premiers. Now we’ve lost two by a combined 17 points without our superstar forward and with no ruck and everyone jumps off. I agree that it is disappointing but we need to put everything into context. We are a rebuilding team who are going to have ups and downs.

The main positives have to include our young guys. Rowbottom. Blakey, McCartin are all making mistakes but are showing some exciting traits as well.

Ronke is my worry. He is the small forward we needed and his form slump has been season-long.

Hayward has the yips but it won’t last.

We’ll end up with more good young guys with our draft picks but still have confidence in our list that we won’t be bottom fodder for years.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    A couple of weeks ago we had won three in a row including a smashing of the reigning premiers. Now we’ve lost two by a combined 17 points without our superstar forward and with no ruck and everyone jumps off. I agree that it is disappointing but we need to put everything into context. We are a rebuilding team who are going to have ups and downs.

The main positives have to include our young guys. Rowbottom. Blakey, McCartin are all making mistakes but are showing some exciting traits as well.

Ronke is my worry. He is the small forward we needed and his form slump has been season-long.

Hayward has the yips but it won’t last.

We’ll end up with more good young guys with our draft picks but still have confidence in our list that we won’t be bottom fodder for years.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    No one is jumping off, but those two losses are against very ordinary teams. Losing to Carlton?, At home?.
    We are a long way from a finals side, and our Ruck and superstar forward are both the wrong side of 30 and will need replacing before we contend again.
    The 3 wins could have been a bit of fools gold.

Went to the windy SGC yesterday, walked out shaking my head about the way we were playing, watched replay of the game last night and I woke up this morning more worried.

I really don't understand the coaching tactics that want all of or mids and defenders to stand back 3-4 metres from their opposition player and let them mark and play on, or handball to another player with no Swan nearby. Then when we do get the ball our immediate reaction is to handball away to another player in a worse position or one that is surrounded by 2-3 opposition players. Our goal kicking is deplorable completely off the scale.

So what in the hell are our so called professional coaching staff doing about improving our skills. Yes we have a lot of younger players but so do a lot of other clubs, our skill level is terrible.

We give away so many uncontested possessions.

Our game style is terrible, to watch and to keep the scoreboard moving. I know we don't have Buddy but other teams manage to score more goals than we do without a superstar forward.

We need to take a good long hard look at all aspects of our football department and game style over the long hot summer.

I wonder if Alir goes against Sandilands and Lobb or are they tall enough to warrant playing an actual Ruck ?
    Or if that Fyfe guy is warranted of a tag ? Maybe Clarke ?
    Essendon was winnable but we just ran out of legs, Carlton was lost at selection.
    Play a ruck and Alir can help Ramps against a guy a foot taller
    Tag Walsh and they have no run
    Piss poor coaching box
    3 more years of this muppet

The tap work was the major issue for me

Hitouts 20 < 55
    Clearances 32 < 45
    Stoppage clearances 24 < 34

U can’t win games with that area of the game providing a nightmare for our defence

The ball came in hot and we struggled

U have to get ur hands on the ball in the middle to win more then u lose

Frustrating but part of the journey

Not many great options for the ruck yest and we still only just lost

Onward we go

Cannot see this group making progress next year either. Without the inclusion of some key position players the quest to build from the bottom up will be long and painfull.

In no particular order the Swans need some genuine ruck stocks and a new bull midfielder (Kennedy has run himself into the ground). We need psychiatric support staff. I mean this. There is something wrong in the heads of players who cannot kick straight some 20 metres from goal or to an unmanned team mate.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

No need to panic. We've got some good players, still a bit young so I wouldn't expect across the board consistency.
    Re coaching, I think our hand was forced as something had to be done about the midfield contest. We were getting hammered there and the only thing keeping us in the game was some poor options by the Blues. By swinging an extra player into the contest in the third, we stemmed the flow to an extent and stayed in the game, at least on the scoreboard. This has been our way for a number of years under Longmire. It's frustrating because it leaves them with one free in defence but sets us up for one last tilt as we are always within striking distance.
    I think now that we are out of finals contention, we can stop the tactic of an extra in the midfield. Play more of an accountable style and see what we've got. We had been doing this prior to the bombers game and perhaps losing our ruck with the flow on disruption to our key position stocks has made Horse revert back to old ways. Picking a ruckman would definitely help.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    Went to the windy SGC yesterday, walked out shaking my head about the way we were playing, watched replay of the game last night and I woke up this morning more worried.

I really don't understand the coaching tactics that want all of or mids and defenders to stand back 3-4 metres from their opposition player and let them mark and play on, or handball to another player with no Swan nearby. Then when we do get the ball our immediate reaction is to handball away to another player in a worse position or one that is surrounded by 2-3 opposition players. Our goal kicking is deplorable completely off the scale.

So what in the hell are our so called professional coaching staff doing about improving our skills. Yes we have a lot of younger players but so do a lot of other clubs, our skill level is terrible.

We give away so many uncontested possessions.

Our game style is terrible, to watch and to keep the scoreboard moving. I know we don't have Buddy but other teams manage to score more goals than we do without a superstar forward.

We need to take a good long hard look at all aspects of our football department and game style over the long hot summer.
    Apart from the bit about going to the SCG, I agree with every word of this.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Hayward and Ronke are both having poor seasons, but I think they will find their best form in due course. This is especially true for Hayward, who has both talent and endeavour. I don't think a player just loses talent, but many go through down periods, especially when it comes to goal kicking.

I mentioned it several times before, but Ronke's problem is his ineffectiveness as a pressure player, which he self-identifies as, so he knows what he has to do to stay in the seniors. I'm not so sure about Ronke, but he has the basic tools to be a good pressure player, he's still quite young and determined. He's contracted for next year, so we'll see how he goes.

Every team has gone through extremes this year. Collingwood were worse than us last week and then come out this week, play great footy despite missing many star players and beat the Eagles, the Premiers who are going so well, except for the fact that we smashed them just a few weeks ago.

We still have a lot of development to go through to become a top competitive team and it probably won't happen next year, but hopefully we will see some solid improvement.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 14th July 2019 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    I wonder if Alir goes against Sandilands and Lobb or are they tall enough to warrant playing an actual Ruck ?
    Or if that Fyfe guy is warranted of a tag ? Maybe Clarke ?
    Essendon was winnable but we just ran out of legs, Carlton was lost at selection.
    Play a ruck and Alir can help Ramps against a guy a foot taller
    Tag Walsh and they have no run
    Piss poor coaching box
    3 more years of this muppet
    Ah there it is!! Didn’t take long