Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 17 Swans v Blues Sat 13-Jul at SCG #AFLSwansBlues @sydneyswans

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Ah there it is!! Didn’t take long
    A lot of panic merchants around

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Piss poor coaching box
    3 more years of this muppet
    Make that 4!

That should cheer you up.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    I wonder if Alir goes against Sandilands and Lobb or are they tall enough to warrant playing an actual Ruck ?
    Or if that Fyfe guy is warranted of a tag ? Maybe Clarke ?
    Essendon was winnable but we just ran out of legs, Carlton was lost at selection.
    Play a ruck and Alir can help Ramps against a guy a foot taller
    Tag Walsh and they have no run
    Piss poor coaching box
    3 more years of this muppet
    4 actually....which means 4 more years of your harping.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Cannot see this group making progress next year either. Without the inclusion of some key position players the quest to build from the bottom up will be long and painfull.

In no particular order the Swans need some genuine ruck stocks and a new bull midfielder (Kennedy has run himself into the ground). We need psychiatric support staff. I mean this. There is something wrong in the heads of players who cannot kick straight some 20 metres from goal or to an unmanned team mate.
    Shows how much you know about the club you 'support'. The Swans have excellent psych support, possibly the best in the league.....Longmire is renowned for building up this aspect of the club.

We obviously need more skills coaching so the coaching panel definitely do need to lift their game in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Shows how much you know about the club you 'support'. The Swans have excellent psych support, possibly the best in the league.....Longmire is renowned for building up this aspect of the club.

We obviously need more skills coaching so the coaching panel definitely do need to lift their game in this area.
    How come you are not at the Castlemaine pub? If they have such excellent psych support how come Reid and co. cannot kick straight. What about cutting a deal with your therapist and have him work it out?
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    How come you are not at the Castlemaine pub? If they have such excellent psych support how come Reid and co. cannot kick straight. What about cutting a deal with your therapist and have him work it out?
    Nice work mate.....keep punching!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Nice work mate.....keep punching!
    Just wanted to make you laugh. Nothing personal.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I really don't understand the coaching tactics that want all of or mids and defenders to stand back 3-4 metres from their opposition player and let them mark and play on, or handball to another player with no Swan nearby. Then when we do get the ball our immediate reaction is to handball away to another player in a worse position or one that is surrounded by 2-3 opposition players...
    Re: handballing to a player under pressure, it seems to be universal. Watching Port v Lions both sides are doing it, often a free player handballing it backwards to a player with 2-3 opponents hanging off them.

I saw Silk do it a couple of weeks ago. A hospital pass as they used to say. From one of the most composed players there is.

I have no explanation for its ubiquity. But it’s not just the Swans who employ such an infuriating tactic.

[QUOTE=Markwebbos;780146]They had a goal kicking “expert” on the Trends podcast earlier this year and he said goal kicking, particularly set shot kicking, is more than 50% in the mind. It’s not about technique.

Technique seemed to help Tony Lockett.

I sit in the O'Reilly stand with a lot of others that have been members for twenty years plus and every game there are calls of "just kick it". The poor handballs to someone if more trouble than the person giving the handpass is frustrating in the extreme. Also, the kicks across the half back line that get intercepted and give away a goal are another aspect that drives us nuts.
    As we were leaving someone behind us said who is the swans skills coach and how much does he get paid? A lot of swans supporters turned around and said it was a good question.
    Oh well, Carlton have a lot of high picks and getting rid of a micro manager coach seems to be getting those players to show something. Swans probably about where we deserve to be with our stagnant play, poor skills, and crappy handball. Can at least look to a good draft pick.

[QUOTE=Hotpotato;780206]
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    They had a goal kicking “expert” on the Trends podcast earlier this year and he said goal kicking, particularly set shot kicking, is more than 50% in the mind. It’s not about technique.

Technique seemed to help Tony Lockett.
    Apologies!

My original post should have said it’s not ONLY about technique. You can’t just fix it by practising it. Thinking in particular about Hayward’s ghastly misses this year.

Lockett clearly did not struggle mentally with set shots and had good technique.

The podcast is really worth a listen. It’s #7 below.

Trends Podcast - M.afl.com.au

I listened to it. Thanks .
    M. Lloyd’s long winded technique (set shots) was to slow his pulse rate, worked.
    The pulse rate of many players with the Yips (like when I’m putting) must go thru the roof (fear of failure).
    I reckon you can tell (many times) if a player taking a set shot will get it or not (stiff with nerves, the way he’s holding the ball, loose limbed, soft hands) and then the last few steps the latter being the most important as per this podcast .