Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 20 Giants v Swans Sat 3-Aug at GIANTS Stadium #AFLGiantsSwans @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Well we just fell short but I am reasonably happy.

Fact Mumford had 54 hit outs and they won by 2 points tells you all you need to know about that statistic.

Reid probably robbed in the end. Good job by the ump to give them a free when their own player infringed at the end.

Gotta say, I thought Clarke was very good!
    Agreed on Clarke. Certainly played a great game since my post about his poor handball skills! Credit where credits due.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I think that was a great result. A true moral victory when we didn't need a real one. Draft pick is looking good.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    Hear hear. The perfect result from my POV, Very brave effort from a young squad. A few of our fringe players struggled with the class you've have to say. That said, Ryan Clarke's best game for the club, well done fella.

- - - Updated - - -

I was less concerned about the Reid mark (which was probably a 50/50) than the Menzel non 50m - that was pure rot and cost a goal as well.

Senior Player
    The best positive out of that game for me was Clarke's performance. All over the ground, won the ball at ground level, used it well. Also, he can kick 50m!

McCartin was great too. Good to see Ollie rack them up after a week off, although his kicking was a bit off. Aliir had another good one.

On the flipside, Jack is done and I don't see much reason to persevere with poor old Rose. Fox is not an AFL level decision maker.

Warming the Bench
    jack ,retire, rose to manatang 3rds. mclean manful again. huge effort by swans again, ried was robbed.2020 looks exciting,so many babies to improve and build up during summer and get ruckmen playing. maibum and smith to return. top 4 in 2020
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Senior Player
    I’m sorry but Mills is nothing more than an average defender

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    ?????????? WTF ????????

Serious question. Why do you support? And who do you support?
    Let's be real here Bexl, a couple of token late wins in an otherwise poor year is absolutely pointless for this group... We aren't Carlton or Gold Coast and need to finish a year off well to give the young blokes some confidence! They nearly all played finals last year (except Blakey and Rowbottom) so this year is more an aberration than anything else, they've played in plenty of good wins.

The most important thing from here is that we claim a high draft pick and get the best young talent (preferably a gun mid) available and then make our move back to the top next year!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    ?????????? WTF ????????

Do I have to explain that by a moral victory I mean that we deserved to win. That we were again robbed of a victory by the maggots but that there is a silver lining, we were better than them, we deserved to win, and we all got to see this; and we don't get the perverse outcome of a lower draft pick for winning. This year is now all about next year, the players we keep, develop and those that we draft. We learnt a lot today and there will be no long term damage done.

Who do I support? The Swans with all my heart and with the wisdom that comes with 60 years of following them.

We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    ?????????? WTF ????????

Yeah, I was a bit baffled by that one too.....

PS: Just saw Scottee's retort.....some fair points made but I still prefer to win. The thing that really irks me though is that even as a young and somewhat struggling team, the umpires still hate us. 2020 may turn out to be better but just as baffling and frustrating.....
    Last edited by stevoswan; 3rd August 2019 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    How is that not 50 to Menzel?? He jumped into his back after he marked it.
    Simply a poor non-decision.

Umps were okay. Not a whistle-fest. But that’s a 50 every day.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Umpiring was pretty ok for the game I thought. Menzel was unlucky though.

Was surprised we saw Rose again after he got dropped last time. I think any chance of a new contract went up in smoke with the dropped chest mark then kicking into the man in the mark.

Clarke was very handy and it was good to see him kick that goal. Would think he got told to look for goal a bit more as he passed off a few balls right on the edge of the 50m that a different player may have blazed away with.

The game was well and truly within our grasp with a bit of composure and a few dodgy shots on goal the different between and W & L (again)

Pretty happy with the endeavour, 2020 looks promising

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Do I have to explain that by a moral victory I mean that we deserved to win. That we were again robbed of a victory by the maggots but that there is a silver lining, we were better than them, we deserved to win, and we all got to see this; and we don't get the perverse outcome of a lower draft pick for winning. This year is now all about next year, the players we keep, develop and those that we draft. We learnt a lot today and there will be no long term damage done.

Who do I support? The Swans with all my heart and with the wisdom that comes with 60 years of following them.

Maybe you are just being pragmatic but I want to see my team win EVERY match they play in.

Good effort to get so close with such an undermanned side. Though hopefully next season, we won't be talking about honourable losses. I thought that the defence was generally very good today, in the absence of Rampe and O'Riordan; especially Mills, Aliir and Dawson. Although we paid heavily for a few brain fade turnovers. If only we could it into the hands of Dawson more, then I'd be very happy.
    Midfield clearances were a problem, though. I wonder if Kennedy has ever gone through a game before, without getting a clearance? Even though we lost the hitouts 58-28, we should have done better than 50-31 in the clearances. And in another first, Clarke was probably our best midfielder. Unless you count Heeney and Papley, who both spent some time in the middle, but obviously played mainly as forwards.
    Also up forward, Ronke continued with his improved form: his mark and goal were one of our highlights. I think Menzel has probably done enough to earn another contract. While Rose has probably confirmed that the SANFL is his level.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast