Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 20 Giants v Swans Sat 3-Aug at GIANTS Stadium #AFLGiantsSwans @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Yes, I noticed that the swans contingent was very low.

I cant see why the two clubs dont re-work their membership packs to include the "away" derby. That would maximise full houses as both derbies and make them an "event".
    *don't.
    Great idea, but their "stadium" doesn't have the capacity to cater for the number of swans members.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Giants ticketting has been a disaster all year, so I'm not surprised by these comments.
    As I have mentioned earlier, I have taken friends to the odd giants game and are told all GA tickets are sold out, yet ground is half empty.
    They are rorting the walk-ups, and its fairly noticable that the crowds are now always predominantly just members.

It also wouldnt hurt to advise people of other events on at homebush. Last weekend there was swans v giants, dogs show, and hugh jackman. Massive traffic delays and parking out in the boon-docks, means it took us 2 hours to get there, and we didnt arrive until half time. Wouldnt suprise me if a few fans bailed out just on the drive in.

And while we are talking about grounds, now that there is no Allianz builder, is this not a great opportunity to build the new rectangular ground somewhere other than Moore Park, and take the pressure off the area when the swans and rugby/league are playing at the same time ?
    White Island (near Glebe). You've got tram access already. Artierial roads, Close to city. Run ferries from darling harbour. and plenty of parking. Open the old glebe bridge for foot traffic. Its perfect.
    But you LURV Olympic Park!!!
    White Island? No such thing. Do you live in Sydney?
    If you meant White Bay... it's an overseas passenger terminal. I doubt they'll give it up for footy - there are plans to re-develop it... as an overseas passenger terminal.
    The transport there isn't so good either. Tram access is a fair walk away - either from Johnstone Street or from the Fish Market.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    *don't.
    Great idea, but their "stadium" doesn't have the capacity to cater for the number of swans members.
    But neither does the SCG, and at every home game there, there are about 12,000 to 15,000 empty seats. It's just a fact
    that being a member (of any footy club), and actually attending games can be two different things. The Swans and
    Giants are not alone here. Every club has thousands (and in a lot of cases, tens of thousands) of members who don't
    go to every home game, or even most of them.
    Last edited by KTigers; 5th August 2019 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    But neither does the SCG, and at every home game there, there are about 12,000 to 15,000 empty seats. It's just a fact
    that being a member (of any footy club), and actually attending games can be two different things. The Swans and
    Giants are not alone here. Every club has thousands (and in a lot of cases, tens of thousands) of members who don't
    go to every home game, or even most of them.
    Very good point KTigers. So far, no Sydney Derby has ever come close to selling out, and I think the record crowd is 60,000 at ANZ for the final they meet in which is not indicative of crowd expectations for regular home and away.

Join the memberships for the derbies, and worry about seating capacity if and when it ever becomes an accual concern. Until then, first come, first served. Non of this reserved seating BS.

But you LURV Olympic Park!!!
    White Island? No such thing. Do you live in Sydney?
    If you meant White Bay... it's an overseas passenger terminal. I doubt they'll give it up for footy - there are plans to re-develop it... as an overseas passenger terminal.
    The transport there isn't so good either. Tram access is a fair walk away - either from Johnstone Street or from the Fish Market.
    Yes, White Bay.

Its a wild idea and I highly doubt it will be taken up, but having multiple events in the same location just doesnt work in Sydney ( I know because I live here) due to its poor public transport and road network around existing venue's. The aim should be to de-clump them rather than clump them together.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I didn't want to dwell too much on the Reid no call, but couldn't help myself...

Here's the image of the marking contest with Stein's armed wrapped pretty clearly around Sam's and dragging it down; it looks like a textbook image to use to explain chopping the arms/infringing in a marking contest.

It's a tough game to umpire, I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt that they might not have had a good view so checked for the positioning of the umpires. The ball was coming back in after a kick-in was turned over (strong mark by the wonderful Jordan Dawson, by the way) so good coverage of umpires still in that end of the ground- there's two that should have had a good look to be able to see it.
    This pretty much the textbook example of why this rule was introduced. But anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I feel that the high price of tickets charged by the Giants helped discourage many of our members from attending. I paid $60 for a very average ticket in the forward pocket looking directly into the sun all day. Given the Swans' season is effectively over this is a big ask.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I only paid $20 for a good seat to the Pies v Giants game so they are having a lend of Swans supporters.

Warming the Bench
    Watched the game last night (first time)
    Thought Mills was superb - Especially in the last quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    I only paid $20 for a good seat to the Pies v Giants game so they are having a lend of Swans supporters.
    ...which is why we didn't turn up in droves.

...which is why we didn't turn up in droves.
    That's not the reason you gave last week.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if ticket pricing is set by the AFL or by clubs, but Swans games have similar problems and perhaps many of us just weren't as aware because of being members for so long and not needing to. We're not Swans members currently as we haven't been able to get along to as many games as we used to (NARF!), but still regularly toddle along- I've found it just as challenging sorting out tickets to games at the SCG as I have looking at Spotless.

Stella junior and I were at the Geelong game, in our old membership bay in the concourse- it cost about $100 (applying the member's discount) for 1 adult and 1 concession. There were only a couple of options of groupings of 2 seats together available to us when purchasing tickets, but plenty of free seats around (it's always been a fairly member heavy bay, so might have just been a bad day of not turning up). I can see how something similar for a casual fan would make it difficult to get them along to a Giants game.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I don't know if this is a new thing or not, but I have a feeling that both giants and swans home games are now predominantly only attended by members. The walk-ups and casual fans have dried right up.

It could be because of difficulty buying tickets, too expensive, or no promotion for games. It's a worrying sign.