Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Finals week 2 weekly discussion thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Did anyone see this: Another Giant locked and loaded: Electric speedster re-signs - AFL.com.au Ian 'Bobby' Hill grew up in rural WA (Northam) barracking for GWS. What are the chances?!
    Yeah, you wouldn't think the chances would be high, would you?. GWS have a pretty decent contingent of indigenous players....
    Williams, Finlayson & Hill.

Senior Player
    Though this was an interesting article:

Pressure mounts on Geelong as Chris Scott’s detractors line up | Jonathan Horn | Sport | The Guardian

Particularly this part!

In 2007, Max Rooke found an old flask made of animal hide in an African secondhand shop. He gathered his teammates and asked them to write down their dreams and goals. He then lit a candle, set the papers alight, tipped the ashes into the flask and waxed it shut. “It was our religion,” he said years later, echoing George Costanza in the Opposites episode. “It was something to believe in.” Rooke went and became a human wrecking ball. The Cats barely lost a game for five years.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Thanks for that, neilfws. I liked the link to this article - When it comes to finals footy, does a home-ground advantage really make a difference? - Sport - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) - and the reference to Scott's "Krakatoa act in the box" too.

And funny that you quote the bit about Max Rooke. I keep hearing his name lately. One player, I can't remember who, was saying that he was their favourite player growing up (before they went on to become a champion at a different club). I've looked him up on Wikipedia now but didn't know who he was.

Wonder if the Crows have their eyes on any particular coach to replace him? I can't see them going for Lyon or B.Scott - but stranger things have happened.

And what do people think about Don Pyke's future employment prospects? Could he get another senior coaching gig? I reckon he'd be a better bet than Brad Scott, and he has a better record.
    Marty Mattner? He took a struggling Sturt to consecutive SANFL premierships, in his first two years as a coach, and is currently an assistant coach at the Crows. I'm sure he would have got some handy pointers, playing under both Roos and Longmire.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    …. and now Don Pyke is gone. Big turnover in coaches this year.
    Fell on his sword so that all the other useless Old Boys at the Crows keep their jobs after the two reviews are done.

Watch the presser, their Chairman Rod Chapman is a slimy uninspiring character much hated by their supporters. He says that everything is rosy at the Crows, well WTF are you conducting two reviews then idiot?!

Senior Player
    Yikes! Pyke gone! I heard it here first. Hope he's not the fall guy for others errors.

Re Geelong

I respect and quite admire them as a club and I used to quite like them. Not a second team, but would have favoured them over most opposition. I'm not sure why I've turned hostile. Chris Scott has a lot to do with it. Selwood a little (even though I respect him as a formidable champion). Don't like Hawkins that much. Probably have to admit to a little bit of pro non-VFL bias. Slightly resent the way they got Paddy Dangerfield and Gary Ablett so cheaply (but, really, good luck to them; I'd have been chuffed it was us). Plus perhaps, along with the Hawks (my least favourite opposition), they have been our great rivals these past 15 years. And, they've had enough success. (I realise the reigning premiers aren't success starved themselves.) I think the less success a club has had the more I wish them well (e.g. Melbourne who haven't had any success to speak of in my time following the game and Saints who have only ever won one flag). That's perhaps why I don't hate the Bulldogs the way most people on here seem to. The umpiring wasn't the team's fault. The only thing I hold against them was Easton Wood sliding into Hanners. So, that's my answer about Geelong. Good enough?
    Easton Wood, who is a very good player, has got off lightly on a number of occasions. When Isaac Heeney took that huge mark v Bulldogs earlier in the year, Wood collects him with his knee after he his the ground. It stunned Isaac - nothing done about it, similar to the hit in 2016 GF on Kieren Jack- no 50 metre penalty of course.

Senior Player
    Something of a twist ahead of the Friday game! Rioli suspended.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...12-p52qr5.html

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Something of a twist ahead of the Friday game! Rioli suspended.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...12-p52qr5.html
    Indeed, and potentially more damaging that actually testing positive (if the substitution charge is sustained) since it eliminates a few oft-used "excuses".

Senior Player
    And now I see GWS Football Director Jimmy Bartel wearing his football media personality hat making comments about
    the Rioli case. He was blah-ing on about something else last week. He has an official position at one club but is making
    comments about issues at other clubs. At this rate he'll be as inappropriate as McGuire one day. Can't these blokes just
    have one job?

Senior Player
    And now I see GWS Football Director Jimmy Bartel wearing his football media personality hat making comments about
    the Rioli case. He was blah-ing on about something else last week. He has an official position at one club but is making
    comments about issues at other clubs. At this rate he'll be as inappropriate as McGuire one day. Can't these blokes just
    have one job?
    Conflict of interest not in play anymore, sadly. McGuire leader of the pack.

I think the Eagles are cooked by the rioli incident. Not that a flag was dependent on one player, but the destabilising effect of this on the eve of an away final.

- - - Updated - - -

have one job?
    Yeah, he is wide open for criticism. But in all honesty I welcome a voice from Sydney. Every other team has vocal administrators pushing agendas, why no 'us' ( or at least, our city).

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anyone else watching Australia vs. Spain before the footy? The Spaniards want no part of going up against Bogut in the paint.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast