Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Finals week 3 weekly discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I'm of the view that the score review should only be to overturn egregious errors and that if there's any doubt, they should just let the result stand.

But that "no-call" on the touched goal was a complete howler. I'm no expert and it took me 20 seconds to see that was touched. All the commentators could see that it was touched. The ABC radio commentators were saying on their 3-inch, standard def, low-contrast monitors, *they* could see that it was touched.

For the AFL to come out and defend that decision is completely ludicrous, and if the Giants had lost I would have completely done my nut. The completely mysterious thing, is that not 10 minutes later, they made a much harder decision regarding the ball touched on the line, and got it right! Why the AFL can't just admit that an error was made is beyond me.

Edit: The latest article I just read says that the AFL said the correct process was followed, and that it should have been called a point. Effectively they are saying that the system is as good as it can be. That's probably true - with current technology there is always going to be a person on the end of the call, and that means there will be mistakes. I'm ok with that, as long as they can acknowledge it's an error.

As for Green, legally he may have been in the right, but in every other way he was in the wrong. I'm not sad he got a week - I just hope he cleans up his act. I think the new tribunal system is actually worse than the old one. The fact that Green can get away with so many infringements without ever being suspended is problematic for me. But I'm glad he's playing in the GF and I'm looking forward to it.

Needless to say, go Giants for the GF. I would love to see Green to lift the premiership cup just to say "up yours" to the victorian football establishment. Happy days if Sydney can get back up there, along with maybe Port and we could have Sydney, Brisbane, GWS, Port, Eagles in the top 5 and no football in Victoria in September.
    What about the Dockers?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Great victory , nail biting finish but very tough to hang on like they did. The fact the josh Thomas goal wasn’t reviewed is a disgrace . If they kicked one more goal and got into a GF because of that , geez there would have to be a serious uproar .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can you imagine if it was the other way around and the Giants won because they were awarded a goal that was touched? The noise from Collingwood would be deafening! I'm sure Eddie would take the AFL to court.

Mummy kept his head in that last 10 mins, with around a minute to go (for a big unit) he sold the dummy right in the goal square and cleared the ball.
    It’s astonishing how they held on.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

Am I warming to the Giants? I think I am....I just heard a story on ABC's 'Insiders". Apparently a GWS fan lost his wallet at the game and Jeremy Cameron found it. He tracked the guy down and returned it with an extra $50 in it with a note to "buy a GWS beanie and scarf." Nice work son.....
    They just had the story on Channel 7 and he was actually a Geelong supporter. He was surprised when he saw the $50 because he doesn't normally carry any cash. He said he wasn't going to buy Giants merchandise so he gave the money to charity.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Everything now falling into place for GWS. Greene & Whitfield have had a week off to freshen up. Big question is will Davis
    get up, and if not, will they make Toby captain?. The sight of Tobes wearing the Norm Smith Medal whilst holding the Premiership
    Cup aloft likely to cause riots across Melbourne and cause the internet to crash.
    When I was leaving the ground last night the various tv screens were showing Toby Greene being interviewed on the ground. The abuse that the Collingwood supporters were yelling at the screens was unbelievable.

I was able to buy a ticket to the Grand Final via my AFL Membership so I'm curious what the reaction will be when Greene touches the ball. I think it's going to be worse than what Goodes copped in the 2014 GF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    They just had the story on Channel 7 and he was actually a Geelong supporter. He was surprised when he saw the $50 because he doesn't normally carry any cash. He said he wasn't going to buy Giants merchandise so he gave the money to charity.
    Charity, his missus, would be happy, she can go and see Ride Like a Girl in Gold Class with a glass of bubbly.

Senior Player
    When I was leaving the ground last night the various tv screens were showing Toby Greene being interviewed on the ground. The abuse that the Collingwood supporters were yelling at the screens was unbelievable.

I was able to buy a ticket to the Grand Final via my AFL Membership so I'm curious what the reaction will be when Greene touches the ball. I think it's going to be worse than what Goodes copped in the 2014 GF.
    "Yelling at a screen". Ain't that a sign of the times....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Great victory , nail biting finish but very tough to hang on like they did. The fact the josh Thomas goal wasn’t reviewed is a disgrace . If they kicked one more goal and got into a GF because of that , geez there would have to be a serious uproar .
    I've only just seen that, terrible non decision, the Bunker was supposed to fix these episodes but has proven itself inept yet again. The AFL are a joke.

Senior Player
    Scanning The Age headlines today: "How the new Richmond works", "Tigers on track to do the double with VFL grand final win", "Tiger greats back Dusty to run riot on grand final day", "Tigers backline best we have ever seen: premiership greats".

I think there were a couple of low-key GWS articles in there somewhere

I find myself getting behind the desire for a GWS GF win on the grounds that so many Melbourne footy media heads will just explode.

Veterans List
    That's even cooler.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I've only just seen that, terrible non decision, the Bunker was supposed to fix these episodes but has proven itself inept yet again. The AFL are a joke.
    Exactly right. After that debacle, they reviewed Maines long shot that appeared at first to be a goal but hit the GWS defenders elbow. They replayed it about a thousand times and I went hoarse screaming at the TV "just award the point and effing move on, you incompetent fools!!"

It's a joke alright....

So when the ball is right at the beginning of its flight path, any smothering and touching seems much less likely to be reviewed by the roaming umps because they are just not in close proximity and concentrating on it (like a goal ump).
    The guy(s) who know they touched it have to yell and gesticulate pretty loudly to alert an ump, but with the crowd noise, no one can hear anything.
    I had to look at a few times to see the fingers bending, although the commentators picked it up quickly like Richo.
    The AFL have owned it now.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast