Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL Grand Final Week Discussion Thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    This is a nice story, and a lovely video- the emotion in his voice when he talks about what a footy club means to him will probably be quite familiar to a lot of us. Maybe next time you want to make fun of the Giants or their supporters, just think about Krushnakant- they're just the same as us.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/the...25-p52v05.html
    Of course they are. They are Australians going to the footy and supporting their team.

There are some great pieces in the SMH today. Bob Murphy interviewing Callan Ward. Ward is my favourite non Swans footballer.
    A brilliant warrior on the field, and a total class act off it. And another on Zac Williams, who grew up idolising Adam & Micky O.
    Check them out.
    Last edited by KTigers; 27th September 2019 at 09:09 AM.

Senior Player
    Front Bar GF edition was very good last night I thought, catch a replay if you missed it.

A fair bit of predictable GWS ribbing, Beveridge having a big old sook and a full-on roasting of Gil, very funny, who took it in good humour to his credit.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Front Bar GF edition was very good last night I thought, catch a replay if you missed it.

A fair bit of predictable GWS ribbing, Beveridge having a big old sook and a full-on roasting of Gil, very funny, who took it in good humour to his credit.
    Didn't see the show - what did Beveridge sook about?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Didn't see the show - what did Beveridge sook about?
    The Dogs free kick count....

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    The Dogs free kick count....
    almost no, he still seems rather upset by the Giants "unsociable" tactics. Or "MMA" as he repeatedly called it.

I'm still upset about Hannebery's knee, so we all have our own perspective on things.

Nah.
    Still not interested.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

The Krushnakant story (and video) is beaut.

However, my favourite story this week is 99 years old. That's when, in 1920, Bill James laced up his boots to not only play his first League game of footy, like Marlion Pickett, in the Granny for Richmond, but they won the match and he became a premiership player AND he kicked the sealer AND then he never played another League match but returned to playing footy at Kyabram until he was accidentally shot in the foot on a shooting expedition and had to retire after winning premierships in four consecutive seasons. Love it!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Krushnakant story (and video) is beaut.

However, my favourite story this week is 99 years old. That's when, in 1920, Bill James laced up his boots to not only play his first League game of footy, like Marlion Pickett, in the Granny for Richmond, but they won the match and he became a premiership player AND he kicked the sealer AND then he never played another League match but returned to playing footy at Kyabram until he was accidentally shot in the foot on a shooting expedition and had to retire after winning premierships in four consecutive seasons. Love it!
    That story is even better. Now why can't we have stories like that today....

I’m all over every player/human interest story that can dig up, especially about the underdogs.
    Keep em comin!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Krushnakant story (and video) is beaut. However, my favourite story this week is 99 years old.
    Both great stories! Debuting in a GF is very rare, unsurprisingly. Here's everyone who'd done it to date. Links to their Wikipedia entries, some are quite entertaining. I regret to inform that the Billy James foot shooting was post-footy career.

Season Date Name Playing.for Margin
    1908 1908-09-26 Harry Prout Essendon -9
    1920 1920-10-02 Billy James Richmond 17
    1923 1923-10-20 George Rawle Essendon 17
    1926 1926-10-09 Francis Vine Melbourne 57
    1952 1952-09-27 Keith Batchelor Collingwood -46

And an article about Keith Batchelor (1952):

The last grand debut, until now: Keith Batchelor's story

Last edited by neilfws; 27th September 2019 at 12:27 PM.

Have to say it’s a huge risk playing a debutant in a GF. By all reports he is a cool character and a vey good player , but the step up from WAFL / VFL is still a large one . Let alone in a final . Let alone in a GRAND final ! At the MCG in front of 100,000 people! If they win and he makes a contribution it’s genius , and if they lose and he does nothing they have made a big blunder . Anyway I’d imagine the Giants will give him a warm welcome to the big stage !

My feeling is that it’s one of those grand finals where one team (Richmond ) is expected to do it pretty easily , which quite often in recent years seems to turn out the opposite result. Adelaide in 2017 went in warm favourites , got smacked . Us in 2016 ( not entirely our fault but the game was still there to be won, we didn’t play great that day ) , and especially in 2014 ( probably the worst display I’ve ever witnessed from our boys ) . Also the Hawks in 2012 ( one of the best displays I’ve witnessed from the Swannies). Favourite tag in the biggest game of all is a huge expectation to carry.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    I’m all over every player/human interest story that can dig up, especially about the underdogs.
    Keep em comin!
    Let's have a "how unlucky is Brett Deledio" then.

Missed by that much: Deledio's grand final agony

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast