Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL Grand Final Week Discussion Thread

Veterans List
    It's tough watching Deledio.....he's a shattered man.

Switched off after half time. More enjoyable watching grass grow.

Ahh well my side won its GF. Back to back n trying for a three peat next year.

As for the AFL......well if you like reality tv shows it would be good to watch but that scripted stuff is not for me.

Hope you all enjoy the off season.

Cheers

Warming the Bench
    GWS totally outclassed but MCG is not a neutral venue

Goes up to 11
    GWS played with no soul. Today's thrashing couldn't have happened to a nicer team....

Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    It didn’t matter in 2018, 2012, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1998, 1997, 1994, 1992

On average, every third year since West Coast won their first Premiership, a non-Victorian team has beaten a Victorian team at the MCG

If a non-Victorian team is good enough, they will win regardless of the venue

GW$ we’re not good enough.

Playing like they did today, they could have played in Leon Cameron’s back yard with Kevin Sheedy & Gil the dill umpiring and they still would have lost. Convincingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    GWS played with no soul. Today's thrashing couldn't have happened to a nicer team....
    Well, that result would have been fine for GW$ or Collingwood

And I’m kinda glad Toby Greene got to play in that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    It's tough watching Deledio.....he's a shattered man.
    Felt more sorry for McGlynn myself

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    This is where GWS need to stand up. If they are a real club, with real passion and not some manufactured, fake entity, then they need to put some respect on the scoreboard.

If not for themselves, then for all the good folk of Western Sydney (Blacktown and Rooty Hill) who cheer for them (maybe 10? I think most are actually watching Tonga v Argentina in RWC).

Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    Of course it’s not. People try to spout the rubbish that from preliminary final day/night it transforms from a truly home ground advantage to a neutral venue in 7 days.

It’s an advantage in every sense. The people who say this usually point to a study that says the crowd support decides a home ground advantage due to possible umpire/referees subconsciously getting influenced by crowd numbers. All the while ignoring the fact that the majority of tickets via club/MCC members/AFL members are Melbourne based & trying to point to the small amount of tickets available to competing clubs. Ignoring the fact that this accounts for only a third of ground capacity.

No1 outside of Melbourne would have an interest In obtaining those memberships as it’s basically a waist of money due to the fact to obtain the advantages that these memberships give you become virtually irrelevant if you live outside Victoria.

So that so called ruse is blown out of the water when Scrutinised. It’s an advantage to Melbourne based clubs every year. Since 2012 only 2 clubs have beaten a Melbourne based club playing at the MCG so that’s 2 non vic wins to 6 Melbourne based wins.

They’ve got what they want.

The “competition” has more in common with WWE/reality tv than a truly fair sporting competition.

Neutral my a....

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    It didn’t matter in 2018, 2012, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1998, 1997, 1994, 1992

On average, every third year since West Coast won their first Premiership, a non-Victorian team has beaten a Victorian team at the MCG

If a non-Victorian team is good enough, they will win regardless of the venue

GW$ we’re not good enough.

Playing like they did today, they could have played in Leon Cameron’s back yard with Kevin Sheedy & Gil the dill umpiring and they still would have lost. Convincingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that result would have been fine for GW$ or Collingwood

And I’m kinda glad Toby Greene got to play in that.

- - - Updated - - -

Laughing stock of a national competition , especially where teams that finished higher play on opposition's home ground in the GF. Not so bad today, but still not neutral. If you explained the situation to someone new to the game, they would be flabbergasted. AFL head office play dumb but the issue will dog them and not go away. Richmond 2017 and Hawthorn 2015 both should have an * next to their flags.

Senior Player
    Fun for Tigers fans I guess. Fizzer for the rest of us.

So that's it, aside from the drafts and trade period. That long 6 months lies ahead. Maybe I'll work on some charts.

Rugby League plays the grand final in Sydney at the same stadium every year. You can't complain about it, you just have to be good enough to win on the MCG on the day.

I think it would be worse if you decided the venue a week beforehand just so it could be in a neutral state or venue. I think it would be silly to play it this year in Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide just so it could be a neutral venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Laughing stock of a national competition , especially where teams that finished higher play on opposition's home ground in the GF. Not so bad today, but still not neutral. If you explained the situation to someone new to the game, they would be flabbergasted. AFL head office play dumb but the issue will dog them and not go away. Richmond 2017 and Hawthorn 2015 both should have an * next to their flags.
    What a joke that a Perth based club that finished higher on the H&A ladder beats a Melbourne based club in their final then has to face that Melbourne based club in the grand final at the Melbourne based clubs home ground to decide the champion of the competition.

Laughable!!!! If it wasn’t true.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post

Of course....doesn't mean I can't feel sorry for Lids.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast