Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL Grand Final Week Discussion Thread

AFL Grand Final Week Discussion Thread

Ironic that GWS who formed a year after Gold Coast are playing in the GF with selection headaches, whilst GC who finished bottom (again) are crying out for priority picks (again). Not sure if this opposite of fortunes is a result of recruiting strategies, draft concessions or both?

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Ironic that GWS who formed a year after Gold Coast are playing in the GF with selection headaches, whilst GC who finished bottom (again) are crying out for priority picks (again). Not sure if this opposite of fortunes is a result of recruiting strategies, draft concessions or both?
    How different were their draft concessions? Their recruiting strategies are clearly different. GC went for the superstar, GAJ, who clearly was not a leader, and a few older established players- Nathan Bock, Harbrow. They didn't stack up that well on the leadership score. GWS went for early career players who were tough and got the best out of themselves (Ward and Davis) and cheap, older players who knew how to train and prepare and valued the second chance ( Sam Reid). They also got Sheeds to support Leon Cameron, which was a great marketing ploy, as well as taking some early pressure to succeed from Leon Cameron. I think they were prepared to play a longer game.

GIANTS have seen the Dogs off by 58, had a miraculous win by 3 against the Lions, hung on incredibly gamely by 4 against the Pies with a depleted list.

Maybe they out on their feet, but they must be pumped with adrenalin to have one last crack.

They could fall in a heap like the Swans v Hawks by 63 in 2014.

Will they cope with the hype?

Tigers haven’t lost a game of footy for over 10 outings.

Hope it’s a decent contest.

I would love GIANTS to bring the Premiership Cup to Sydney and stick it up em.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    G
    Maybe they out on their feet, but they must be pumped with adrenalin to have one last crack.

They could fall in a heap like the Swans v Hawks by 63 in 2014.

Will they cope with the hype?
    Not really sure its comparable to us in 2014. All things considered, we choked, and choked badly in 2014. Were the dominant team all year and smashed our way into the grand final, then didn't turn up.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

For GWS, Dogs was an easy game. Lions was tough, and with pies they were in control and just relaxed in the last quarter when they thought they had won already.

Richmond have played 2 games of footy in 4 weeks. That could easily be good or bad I'm not sure.

However with Davis injured and Lynch on fire, home ground, and no travel, I think the tigers will win fairly comfortably.

Veterans List
    AFL.com.au has an article assessing 'key moments' that decided the last 5 GF's. Predictably, the 'key moment' in 2016 was Boyd's goal after Morris tackled and dispossessed Buddy in the last quarter.

Delusional.....try a 20-8 free kick count. Try the 2nd and 3rd quarters where the Swans received one free kick.....for 'out on the full'.

That GF and the delusional fawning that surrounds it is going to haunt me to my grave.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A debut in a Grand Final is pretty exciting!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    AFL.com.au has an article assessing 'key moments' that decided the last 5 GF's. Predictably, the 'key moment' in 2016 was Boyd's goal after Morris tackled and dispossessed Buddy in the last quarter.

Delusional.....try a 20-8 free kick count. Try the 2nd and 3rd quarters where the Swans received one free kick.....for 'out on the full'.

That GF and the delusional fawning that surrounds it is going to haunt me to my grave.
    The only way that day won't haunt me is if we either get a grand final served to us on the platter with delusional biased umpiring against a Victorian team, or we go out and belt the Fairypuppies in another decider. Both exceptionally unlikely to occur I would of thought. Still makes my blood boil thinking about the umpiring that day.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Happy and I know it
    Fun stuff on Twitter today, with memes featuring the Giants' theme song. Search #BigBigSound to find them. I love the Friends one - wait until the dancing starts!

Senior Player
    Maybe we need a happier GF memory

I enjoyed this article from Rohan Connolly today, his top 5 grand finals of the 48 he has attended. And I was pleasantly surprised that his number one is 2012.

inkl - inkl - The Margin: The Grand Final Issue

For sheer quality of football, a see-sawing game and a thrilling finish, Sydney’s 10-point win over the Hawks remains the best I’ve witnessed in the flesh. It’s the only grand final to feature not just one comeback, but three, Hawthorn in charge early, the Swans striking back, the Hawks surging again and appearing to have it won before one more dramatic twist.

I love the DANCECOMRADES one!
    Go GIANTS..... such a buzz for them.

Thanks Erica

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is a nice story, and a lovely video- the emotion in his voice when he talks about what a footy club means to him will probably be quite familiar to a lot of us. Maybe next time you want to make fun of the Giants or their supporters, just think about Krushnakant- they're just the same as us.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/the...25-p52v05.html
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast