Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: AFL Grand Final Week Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    My take on the GF.

GWS had a crack in Q1 but it soon became obvious the umpires were going to control the game by some blatant non-calls. This continued into Q2 then the Giants realised they were never going to get an even display from the umpires. So they just gave up, and when they did, Richmond piled on the pressure and never let up. Game over. GWS was not helped by poor selections. They got nothing from Whitfield or Davis. They should have learnt from 2016 when Mills and McVeigh played injured.

Another Melbourne team premiership - great for business in Melbourne I suppose. Not great for a national competition.
    Really? It was the umpires' fault that GWS played like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Really? It was the umpires' fault that GWS played like that?
    Doesn’t help when your trying to hang in there. Not the reason they lost though.

First half umpiring was deplorable. Summed up by the non call on Pickett then ten seconds later virtually exactly the same thing in reverse, free goes to Richmond. By then I’d seen n heard enough pro vic bs & headed to the pub for an afternoon of pool.

But I’ll say it again not the reason they lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Doesn’t help when your trying to hang in there. Not the reason they lost though.

First half umpiring was deplorable. Summed up by the non call on Pickett then ten seconds later virtually exactly the same thing in reverse, free goes to Richmond. By then I’d seen n heard enough pro vic bs & headed to the pub for an afternoon of pool.

But I’ll say it again not the reason they lost.
    That sort of thing happens all the time, game after game. Has done for years. The umpiring always looks biased when you have a stake in the game, but it's nearly always just a stuff-up, and they go both ways. Maybe unconscious bias could be a factor now and then, but it's pretty marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    That sort of thing happens all the time, game after game. Has done for years. The umpiring always looks biased when you have a stake in the game, but it's nearly always just a stuff-up, and they go both ways. Maybe unconscious bias could be a factor now and then, but it's pretty marginal.
    This is exactly why there’s never any pressure on the quality of officiating, it’s acceptable that bias may happen. It’s as bad as accepting a totally uneven draw. Accepting a home ground advantage in a grand final.

It’s the biggest game of the year there shouldn’t be any bias marginal or not.

It’s as rediculous as the laughable “swings and roundabouts” argument we here in sport all the time from people from a bygone era. Like getting screwed over in a grand final evens out due to favourable umpiring in a round 7 game.

I had no stake in the game. We’d already won our GF.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    This is exactly why there’s never any pressure on the quality of officiating, it’s acceptable that bias may happen. It’s as bad as accepting a totally uneven draw. Accepting a home ground advantage in a grand final.

It’s the biggest game of the year there shouldn’t be any bias marginal or not.

It’s as rediculous as the laughable “swings and roundabouts” argument we here in sport all the time from people from a bygone era. Like getting screwed over in a grand final evens out due to favourable umpiring in a round 7 game.

I had no stake in the game. We’d already won our GF.
    I don't think there is bias, not in any systematic way. It borders on paranoia to think there is. What I'm saying is that there is incompetence, but I don't think it goes all one way. And you're right - there shouldn't be incompetence.

The game played out to script. In reality GWS had everything stacked against then. No suprise Richmond used the ground better. No suprise the umpires favoured Richmond.
    What was in both teams control was how they applied themselves. GWS folded like a deck of cards. Tigers were ruthless.
    Interesting that 3 of 10 GWS's lowest ever scores were in 2019. The year they "on paper" have their strongest ever list.
    Big question marks on game plan and coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Big question marks on game plan and coaching.
    More of an emphatic exclamation mark I’d say

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213