Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: #AFL General Pre Season Discussion Thread

Granted our showing on the weekend was dismal, but the degree of pessimism based on one game seems excessive. Our percentage of 97.7 with such a young squad last season deserves more faith.

Mysterious: Cats cop massive whack for Total Player Payment breach. And how is $40K a "massive whack" for an error that has been repeated for 8 years. If it allowed the Cats to pay over the salary cap (which it may not have) then it doesn't seem a particularly strong deterrent at all.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Mysterious: Cats cop massive whack for Total Player Payment breach. And how is $40K a "massive whack" for an error that has been repeated for 8 years. If it allowed the Cats to pay over the salary cap (which it may not have) then it doesn't seem a particularly strong deterrent at all.
    More like a slap on the wrist.....free to trade away to their hearts content and spend. Vic-centric decision....

Clarko on SEN opined that the low standard and low scoring in matches during the Community series due to players not yet being match fit and that standards will improve after 2-3 rounds and players get match fit and start executing their skills better.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Clarko on SEN opined that the low standard and low scoring in matches during the Community series due to players not yet being match fit and that standards will improve after 2-3 rounds and players get match fit and start executing their skills better.
    But didn't he say yesterday that the defensive coaching mindset was causing low scoring and that reducing it to 16 per side will improve scoring?? I think Clarko has been smoking something iffy.

Interesting article from Caroline Wilson about GWS: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/foo...13-p549qs.html. When our leading football journo writes, I pay attention. Don't have to agree but I take her much more seriously than most others.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Interesting article from Caroline Wilson about GWS: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/foo...13-p549qs.html. When our leading football journo writes, I pay attention. Don't have to agree but I take her much more seriously than most others.
    Agreed. Always detailed and careful to present context. She has effectively established the Sydney clubs as a 'beat'.

Caros interest in GWS is only because there are some Richmond old boys involved.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Caros interest in GWS is only because there are some Richmond old boys involved.
    Yes....that article was almost an ode to Wayne Campbell.

I must say though, that Matthews guy at the helm of GWS sounds like a power crazy idiot who should stick to running the club, not the footy dept.!

Veterans List
    Vote for Buddy in the AFL"s "The Deadliest" survey to find the best indigenous footballer. First up it's Buddy vs Betts......and I'm guessing we all agree that Buddy is better!!

Vote for the Deadliest: Lance Franklin v Eddie Betts

Veterans List
    Doggies (the apparent next big thing) getting thrashed at Marvel. The place is rocking.....

Saw Kruezer's injury last night and they just said on Seven that he will be out for 16 weeks! Season over.....poor bugger can't take a trick.

Edit: Virtually as I wrote that post, the Dogs have scored 3 quick ones.....out of nowhere.....but still 5 goals down.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 20th March 2020 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Doggies (the apparent next big thing) getting thrashed at Marvel. The place is rocking.....

Saw Kruezer's injury last night and they just said on Seven that he will be out for 16 weeks! Season over.....poor bugger can't take a trick.

Edit: Virtually as I wrote that post, the Dogs have scored 3 quick ones.....out of nowhere.....but still 5 goals down.
    So Kruezer should be back in time for Round 2

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast