Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL General Pre Season Discussion Thread

Veterans List

#AFL General Pre Season Discussion Thread

Boo hoo!

Star Tiger shocks footy world with sudden retirement

Rance retires effective immediately.....to concentrate on his family and his 'spiritual development' (Jehovah's). Don't get me started on people who worship deities that don't exist (and apologies if that offends anyone).....but I always knew there was something wrong with him. Good luck to him all the same.....as long as he is happy I suppose.

Veterans List
    League best flopper, even got fined for it once (or twice), should have been a dozen fines to be honest.

If he comes to my door I might push him lightly in the chest to see if he propels backwards into a heap on my verandah!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    League best flopper, even got fined for it once (or twice), should have been a dozen fines to be honest.

If he comes to my door I might push him lightly in the chest to see if he propels backwards into a heap on my verandah!
    Now that's funny.

There's a terrific compilation of Lance v Rance pasted in the middle of this article about Rance on his retirement: 'He was herculean': The day Alex Rance realised his greatness. Great battles! To me it looks like Buddy overall came out on top (based only on those highlights). The other conspicuous thing was (a) how frequently they had some argy-bargy between them, especially as time went on; and (b) how frequently in that context Rance exaggerated the contact and repeatedly threw his head back, playing for free kicks. Earlier on the page is a link to another video containing the highlights of R23 2014 match between Swans v Tigers. During the match is a moment when Goodes cops some high contact and then exaggerates its impact by throwing his head back. Straight away the commentators are highlighting Goode's exaggeration but I didn't notice the same thing happening so much on the numerous occasions where Rance did exactly the same thing. Subtle, insidious. It's just like when free kicks aren't paid. Harder to capture.

I can't help think that there is more to this than just "faith".

To be honest, I'm glad to see the back of him. I cannot stand diving, acting footballers, no matter how good they are and no matter what code of football they play. They are cheats.

Goes up to 11
    He was one of the top few players over the last few years, the best defender and one of the best physiques in the game too. It's a shame for him that whatever faith-based delusions he's having are forcing him to leave the game. He's a big loss to the sport.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    He was one of the top few players over the last few years, the best defender and one of the best physiques in the game too. It's a shame for him that whatever faith-based delusions he's having are forcing him to leave the game. He's a big loss to the sport.
    Again I say, flopper!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Not religious myself but obviously means a lot to him and accordingly some respect is due I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Not religious myself but obviously means a lot to him and accordingly some respect is due I reckon.
    +1

Veterans List
    Oh dear! Brad Scott appointed AFL's "competition evolution manager"......

Former Roos coach takes on new role at AFL HQ

"While assessing game trends with various stakeholders including players, coaches and analysts, Scott will also work closely with the Competition Committee.

Scott will also play a major role in decision-making around rules, regulations and growth of all AFL competitions."

The tinkering with our game will go on forever!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

"While assessing game trends with various stakeholders including players, coaches and analysts, Scott will also work closely with the Competition Committee.

Scott will also play a major role in decision-making around rules, regulations and growth of all AFL competitions."

Wankfest

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

He wouldn't be my natural selection for the job.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast