Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NEAFL discussion thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Ralphyboy did a brief reserves match report on BigFooty. (Page 6 on the Rd 3 Sydney v North Melbourne thread). I won't quote or directly link to it.
    Cheers mate; interesting read.

McLean can clunk them and plays with starch. Worth a shout to ease the pressure on Heeney, perhaps.

Senior Player
    No scratch match this weekend. Deep sigh.

Which four clubs aren't playing? Scratch matches revealed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    It sucks when you consider that in Melbourne they can play scratch matches against a much wider variety of opponents. Still I suppose the SA, WA and Qld teams are in the same boat as us.
    Just the way Victoria likes it.....

Veterans List
    This is going to have an affect on the development of the younger players. The AFL need to come up with a solution.

Does seem like some of that inequality the AFL are so keen to avoid.

Noticed a story on Swans website about a game on Friday between Swans and GWS. It quotes Laidley. Everytime he is quoted its the same sort of stuff. Its sad to see that Taigh was let go and Laidley stayed but that's history. Laidley's quotes are mainly about Gray and O'Riordan with some extra words on Warner, Elijafh and O'Connor, nothing about Gould, Stephens or others we are hoping to see in the seniors. Amartey was mentioned. We would like more about our NEAFL boys like that done by many other AFL sides. Cmon Swans PR, give these guys a ray of sunshine and hope. We need them for our future.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Noticed a story on Swans website about a game on Friday between Swans and GWS. It quotes Laidley. Everytime he is quoted its the same sort of stuff. Its sad to see that Taigh was let go and Laidley stayed but that's history. Laidley's quotes are mainly about Gray and O'Riordan with some extra words on Warner, Elijafh and O'Connor, nothing about Gould, Stephens or others we are hoping to see in the seniors. Amartey was mentioned. We would like more about our NEAFL boys like that done by many other AFL sides. Cmon Swans PR, give these guys a ray of sunshine and hope. We need them for our future.
    A lot of the PR team have been stood down for the time being. Hopefully they get to return along with our other coaches et al.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    I interpret that to mean that Stephens and Gould didn't stand out, which is disappointing. By contrast it seems like Warner is pressing for selection and Elijah Taylor isn't yet ready for AFL - he's still on "limited minutes" in the scratch match. I will be delighted to see Warner given a run. Hopefully he can at least be named as an emergency and travel with the team to Metricon this weekend.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I watched the game on Friday. Swans got beaten convincingly again. It is worth remembering that the GWS have a squad firmly in the premiership window. Their reserves have guys like caldwell, sam jacobs and kennedy running around and very few first or second year players. The swans have lots of first and second year players. So teams at very different points in the cycle.

Best players for me were Gray, Connor, Foote and Warner. Mids for the game were connor/armatey ruck, gray, clarke, thurlow, warner, stephens and bell. Overall the mids were beaten by the GWS who were just more skilled and stronger. Gray has a knack of finding the ball in the mids. He is however let down in terms of gut running and defensive work. Never the less he was the best player on the day. Clarke and Thurlow were serviceable without being outstanding. Warner was strong in the first half but faded a bit. Bell was quiet. Stephens was good but is not quite at AFL level yet. He will be though. He makes a few mistakes that cost goals, but they will iron out once he gains some experience. Connor and Armatey were beaten in ruck by Jacobs.

The backline worked hard however the sheer speed of some of the GWS entries, especially bobby hill, left them struggling. O'Reidon did not deserve a special mention in the swans report as he wasn't much of a standout. Gould is yet to find his feet. He is good at linking up to clear the ball but was often left flat footed by older, bigger and faster opponents.

The forwards had a tough day. They had to contend with the likes of kennedy, caldwell and buntine, all of whom would comfortably sit in most AFL sides. The delivery into the forward line was under enormous pressure given the midfield struggled. And there were long periods where it didn't go past halfway. Having said that it is clear that Elijah has the talent to be a top forward in the AFL. He is one of those classic indigenous players who looks laconic, but gets in the best spots and then does magical things with the ball. I think the swans will be very excited about what he is starting to show. He also took some decent pack marks against bigger opponents.

The two most exciting players for the future were definitely elijah and connor. Connor in particular is looking very promising. For a big guy he is genuinely quick, Much quicker than Gould, O'Reidon, Maibaum. He also has very clean hands. A couple of times he accelerated past GWS players took the ball cleanly, lifted his eyes and moved it off well. He also took a stint in the forwards kicking one of the swans few goals. I am going out on a limb to say he will play seniors this year.

Overall the game was one fo the higher standard neafl type games. GWS is packed with AFL ready guns and so the speed and skills were high. Neither side made too many errors, it was just that the swans struggled to keep up with GWS at times, and were punished badly for it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I watched the game on Friday. Swans got beaten convincingly again. It is worth remembering that the GWS have a squad firmly in the premiership window. Their reserves have guys like caldwell, sam jacobs and kennedy running around and very few first or second year players. The swans have lots of first and second year players. So teams at very different points in the cycle.

Best players for me were Gray, Connor, Foote and Warner. Mids for the game were connor/armatey ruck, gray, clarke, thurlow, warner, stephens and bell. Overall the mids were beaten by the GWS who were just more skilled and stronger. Gray has a knack of finding the ball in the mids. He is however let down in terms of gut running and defensive work. Never the less he was the best player on the day. Clarke and Thurlow were serviceable without being outstanding. Warner was strong in the first half but faded a bit. Bell was quiet. Stephens was good but is not quite at AFL level yet. He will be though. He makes a few mistakes that cost goals, but they will iron out once he gains some experience. Connor and Armatey were beaten in ruck by Jacobs.

The backline worked hard however the sheer speed of some of the GWS entries, especially bobby hill, left them struggling. O'Reidon did not deserve a special mention in the swans report as he wasn't much of a standout. Gould is yet to find his feet. He is good at linking up to clear the ball but was often left flat footed by older, bigger and faster opponents.

The forwards had a tough day. They had to contend with the likes of kennedy, caldwell and buntine, all of whom would comfortably sit in most AFL sides. The delivery into the forward line was under enormous pressure given the midfield struggled. And there were long periods where it didn't go past halfway. Having said that it is clear that Elijah has the talent to be a top forward in the AFL. He is one of those classic indigenous players who looks laconic, but gets in the best spots and then does magical things with the ball. I think the swans will be very excited about what he is starting to show. He also took some decent pack marks against bigger opponents.

The two most exciting players for the future were definitely elijah and connor. Connor in particular is looking very promising. For a big guy he is genuinely quick, Much quicker than Gould, O'Reidon, Maibaum. He also has very clean hands. A couple of times he accelerated past GWS players took the ball cleanly, lifted his eyes and moved it off well. He also took a stint in the forwards kicking one of the swans few goals. I am going out on a limb to say he will play seniors this year.

Overall the game was one fo the higher standard neafl type games. GWS is packed with AFL ready guns and so the speed and skills were high. Neither side made too many errors, it was just that the swans struggled to keep up with GWS at times, and were punished badly for it.
    Thanks B. Appreciate it. I'm now on the lookout for O'Connor? and Taylor.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post

Thanks barracuda - I'm always keenly anticipate your posts and this was a particularly helpful one. Basically hit all the points I was interested in re O'Connor and Taylor. Pretty exciting in both cases.

Any thoughts on Ling and Stoddart?

Thanks barracuda! Fantastic to get this report and your astute observations. If you're right about O'Connor getting an AFL game this year (a) that will be brilliant all round and quite an achievement; and (b) hats off to you!

Let's hope that ET fulfills his promise and becomes a modern day Mickey O.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast