Thread: AFL Bushfire Relief State of Origin Match

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

AFL Bushfire Relief State of Origin Match

Victoria v All Stars match on Feb 28 @ Marvel Stadium to raise money for bushfire relief. AFL itself will donate $1.35m, clubs will donate $900,000 and the AFL Players Association will donate $250,000 for a total of $2.5 million.

Details of the match:
    • Damien Hardwick will coach the Vics and our own John Longmire will coach the All Stars
    • A maximum of 3 players per club will take part in the match.

AFL confirms State of Origin match, makes massive donation

AFL.com.au has picked mock sides, no Swan made the Vic side while Rampe and Heeney made the All Stars side.

Mock teams: Who makes the cut for Vics v All Stars?

Veterans List
    I'm sure there will be a huge turnout for what will be two star filled sides. Maybe a draw could be orchestrated?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I'm sure there will be a huge turnout for what will be two star filled sides. Maybe a draw could be orchestrated?
    Why ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Well, Buddy certainly won't be playing......but wouldn't have anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Victoria v All Stars match on Feb 28 @ Marvel Stadium to raise money for bushfire relief. AFL itself will donate $1.35m, clubs will donate $900,000 and the AFL Players Association will donate $250,000 for a total of $2.5 million.

Details of the match:
    • Damien Hardwick will coach the Vics and our own John Longmire will coach the All Stars
    • A maximum of 3 players per club will take part in the match.

AFL confirms State of Origin match, makes massive donation

AFL.com.au has picked mock sides, no Swan made the Vic side while Rampe and Heeney made the All Stars side.

Mock teams: Who makes the cut for Vics v All Stars?
    It's a mock side for each team that they have given so the teams that run out on Feb 28 will likely be dramatically different from those suggested. Given our rebuild, I would think that only 5 to 6 Swans players are serious candidates across the two teams. Rampe, Heeney, Parker and some roughies like Mills, Hewitt and Lloyd are our possibilities in my humble view.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We have got our first preseason game the following day against GWS. So I am guessing Longmire and whoever plays will sit out preparations for that match and let one of the assistants take charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    It's a mock side for each team that they have given so the teams that run out on Feb 28 will likely be dramatically different from those suggested. Given our rebuild, I would think that only 5 to 6 Swans players are serious candidates across the two teams. Rampe, Heeney, Parker and some roughies like Mills, Hewitt and Lloyd are our possibilities in my humble view.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Maybe Blakey, if the selectors want to factor in excitement value, as one of their selection criteria. Possibly even Aliir for the same reason. Kennedy might get a spot, if some of the more high profile inside mids are put in cotton wool by their clubs

Fantastic effort by the AFL to organise it on such short notice for a great cause.

BTW it’s not state of origin. It’s an All Stars game first and foremost for a worthy cause, hopefully it raises a bucketload!!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Yesterdays Hun, bless it's biased arse, had one Swan making the Allies and none in the Vic team. The only Swans player they think is good enough to make either team is Heeney.

Err, All Australian defender Rampe not good enough?

Veterans List
    Parks and Heens in the thick of it......both will probably get picked for opposing sides in the Bushfire fundraising match.

Face-to-face with flames: Sydney pair's brush with NSW bushfires

Veterans List
    Low defensive pressure should be the word from both coaches so we get 20 goals per side.

A joke if Rampe can't make the All Stars, only his post climbing stopped him from being AA last year (2019)