Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 2020

Warming the Bench
    AFL Sydney have really been on the front foot with their communication re COVID-19 and showing great leadership once again.

Maybe they were ahead of the curve and their communications / media division self isolated for the last few seasons.

Rugby league postponing all levels (down to Under 6) until June.
    If the AFL follows, which one can assume, would a 10 round season be worth entering?

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Sydney Uni No 1 was always going to be problematic because there's a quarantine centre on campus and a lot of overseas students wander past. With the grounds out in the suburbs, it's not such an issue.
    At this stage they're intending to go ahead; and most clubs are still training. But the way things are going, it seems inevitable it's going to get shut down. I'm not expecting we'll get on the field for round 1, and maybe not at all this season.
    There it is folks, suspended until 31 May - following the state league decisions albeit slowly and rudderlessly. Nothing to do with who walks past the ovals Norris old mate, stick to footy analysis chief ; ) See AFL Sydney facebook site.
    Last edited by Jupiter; 17th March 2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: error

When Head Office were asked if the season could start on 31st May, when would the clubs be allowed to start training. The answer “ I don’t know”.
    When asked what sort relief the clubs may get with affiliation fees, the answer “ I don’t know”.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    When Head Office were asked if the season could start on 31st May, when would the clubs be allowed to start training. The answer “ I don’t know”.
    When asked what sort relief the clubs may get with affiliation fees, the answer “ I don’t know”.
    Te be fair no one really knows what the hell is going on.

I have a young bloke who is part of my team at work who was getting wedding photos done in January before he returned for the official wedding in China who had to cancel photos due the bush fires, then his wedding got cancelled in China a day before due to restrictions on gatherings and now he is stuck with an expired Visa (4 days ago) in limbo. Before anyone suggests I should employ Australians I would but no one likes being an accountant in Western Sydney plus the kid has been here for years and is the process of getting his citizenship and is a bloody good worker. He is one example of someone blindslided completely by this situation.

Im happy to bag the AFL out about the state of juniors and Sydney AFL in general but in this instance I suspect the delays in communicating is due to their genuine efforts in trying to get our season underway. Their lack of answers shouldnt surprise given the lack of direction our Government is providing - we are all in limbo.

Maybe rather than be critical we should be patient and throw them a bit of support for at least trying to give us the opportunity to play.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Te be fair no one really knows what the hell is going on.

I have a young bloke who is part of my team at work who was getting wedding photos done in January before he returned for the official wedding in China who had to cancel photos due the bush fires, then his wedding got cancelled in China a day before due to restrictions on gatherings and now he is stuck with an expired Visa (4 days ago) in limbo. Before anyone suggests I should employ Australians I would but no one likes being an accountant in Western Sydney plus the kid has been here for years and is the process of getting his citizenship and is a bloody good worker. He is one example of someone blindslided completely by this situation.

Im happy to bag the AFL out about the state of juniors and Sydney AFL in general but in this instance I suspect the delays in communicating is due to their genuine efforts in trying to get our season underway. Their lack of answers shouldnt surprise given the lack of direction our Government is providing - we are all in limbo.

Maybe rather than be critical we should be patient and throw them a bit of support for at least trying to give us the opportunity to play.
    Well said Tara. This is a unique situation with so many unknown variables. No one has all the answers. It is easy to criticise sitting on the outside without really knowing the constraints of the situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These guys are Professional sports administrators with arguably Australia’s most well run sport, we should expect better.
    Something like “we are looking at couple of options including x,y and z” would have been an appropriate response.

Didnt the minister come out saying community sport could still go ahead? My cricket is still on this weekend.

Season 2020

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Didnt the minister come out saying community sport could still go ahead? My cricket is still on this weekend.
    No he didn’t. Are you still getting your official notifications from social media?
    Now who would you trust more for accurate health information? The AFL or a local suburban cricket comp? Tough choice eh Tommy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    These guys are Professional sports administrators with arguably Australia’s most well run sport, we should expect better.
    Something like “we are looking at couple of options including x,y and z” would have been an appropriate response.
    I can give you options.
    Start training? - 21st May, not this year, sometime after 21st May.
    Affiliation fee support? - never, half back, all of it back.
    It all comes down to when the C-virus is under control. The federal govt and WHO don’t know when that will be so why would you expect a few local sports administrators to know?

I am not expecting the locals administrators to know when the virus will be under control, I do expect them to have some idea of options available.
    The ones you have mentioned are resonable , why wouldn't head office say we are considering these measures.

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    No he didn’t. Are you still getting your official notifications from social media?
    Now who would you trust more for accurate health information? The AFL or a local suburban cricket comp? Tough choice eh Tommy?

Coronavirus cancels kids sport but not because the government said so - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It took until Wednesday afternoon for the Federal Government to issue any guidelines, which say community, school and junior sport can continue.

I'd trust the ABC over the AFL media dept.
    Last edited by saviour01; 21st March 2020 at 05:55 AM.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast