Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Greatest ever Swan?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Bloods - Leaving South Melbourne, Episode 1 (sydneyswans.com.au)

The first episode in a series about the club's history. This episode is an illuminating insight to the club's relocation. There are some great details like Silvio Foschini describing his match day routine commuting from Melbourne to play in Sydney. It's also remarkable to think how the players back then would have to back up and go to work the day after the match etc. Another colourful detail was Tony Morwood describing how when a player was called up from the reserves (the reserves were based in Melbourne) the senior playing group wouldn't meet them until match day and would only then learn who the player was - whether they were tall or short, or right or left footed etc.
    One notable omission from episode 1 is the mile high brawl on the trip to Manila. It seems to have been glossed out. The story I heard is that Peter Morrison and Kevin Goss were at the centre of it, and it ended both their careers at the Swans.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    One notable omission from episode 1 is the mile high brawl on the trip to Manila. It seems to have been glossed out. The story I heard is that Peter Morrison and Kevin Goss were at the centre of it, and it ended both their careers at the Swans.
    The thing that's stuck with me from listening to the first episode was the emotional angst among every invested party: players, coaches, supporters et al. The sense of abandonment or dislocation for those who had / have South Melbourne in their blood was visceral. For whatever reason, I never noticed it, nor entertained what it must have been like to have the footy club you're so passionate about, be relocated. It's certainly creating a sense of empathy and makes me face the answer to the question, what would it be like if my beloved Swans had to move again?

This is coming from someone late to game. The first match I watched was in 1996, when Plugger kicked that behind over the Bombers. I'm looking forward to the next episodes!

I saw this video about the relocation a while back: Saving South - YouTube. It references the 'scuffle' on the plane with one of the players who wanted to go to Sydney turning on Peter Morrison who, according to John Rantall, had a foot in both camps. Bernie Evans intervened. And then apparently so did Kevin Goss - who invited the unnamed first player to step outside [of the plane!] to sort things out.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I saw this video about the relocation a while back: Saving South - YouTube. It references the 'scuffle' on the plane with one of the players who wanted to go to Sydney turning on Peter Morrison who, according to John Rantall, had a foot in both camps. Bernie Evans intervened. And then apparently so did Kevin Goss - who invited the unnamed first player to step outside [of the plane!] to sort things out.
    Perhaps he had better skydiving skills? I wonder if there's ever been a fist fight while parachuting?

And then apparently so did Kevin Goss - who invited the unnamed first player to step outside [of the plane!] to sort things out.
    ROFL!!
    Thanks I needed that - mind you it says all you need to know about the Goss'

Veterans List
    This little doco, "Saving South" which was a 'student project' by Swans fan John Holdsworth is excellent. Interviews with all the major players in the saga and also a bit more about the "Thriller on the way to Manilla" at around the 10:23 mark.....but the whole thing is worth watching. Amazing our club survived it all.

Saving South - YouTube

Oh, I now see bloodspirit has already referenced this film. Well done!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 22nd July 2021 at 09:24 PM.

A statement made recently got me thinking. If a greatest Swans side was to be re-selected (the Swans team of the century being named in 2003), who in the last 18 years would make the side and who might they displace?

This is the most recent team of the century from 2003

B: John Rantall, John Heriot, Vic Belcher
    H/B: Bill Faul, Ron Clegg, Dennis Carroll
    C: David Murphy, Greg Williams, Herb Matthews
    H/F: Tony Morwood, Laurie Nash, Gerard Healy
    F: Bob Pratt, Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly (VC)
    Foll: Barry Round, Peter Bedford, Bob Skilton (Capt)
    Inter: Bill Williams, Stevie Wright, Daryn Cresswell, Fred Goldsmith, Mark Bayes, Harry Clarke, Mark Tandy
    Coach: Jack Bissett

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    A statement made recently got me thinking. If a greatest Swans side was to be re-selected (the Swans team of the century being named in 2003), who in the last 18 years would make the side and who might they displace?

This is the most recent team of the century from 2003

B: John Rantall, John Heriot, Vic Belcher
    H/B: Bill Faul, Ron Clegg, Dennis Carroll
    C: David Murphy, Greg Williams, Herb Matthews
    H/F: Tony Morwood, Laurie Nash, Gerard Healy
    F: Bob Pratt, Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly (VC)
    Foll: Barry Round, Peter Bedford, Bob Skilton (Capt)
    Inter: Bill Williams, Stevie Wright, Daryn Cresswell, Fred Goldsmith, Mark Bayes, Harry Clarke, Mark Tandy
    Coach: Jack Bissett
    Crazy to think just how many might push their way in. Since 2003 we've won 2 premierships and had a number of players play over 300 games. I don't know enough about the old south players to make a call but i would suggest their is some serious competition.

What an excellent off season activity, thanks 09183305

Adam Goodes is a certainty, JPK, Leo and MickyO would all now qualify.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    What an excellent off season activity, thanks 09183305

Adam Goodes is a certainty, JPK, Leo and MickyO would all now qualify.
    Jude has got to be in the conversation too. Gave his all for the Swans and led with his courageous actions. He played with the same intensity and passion in every one of his 325 games

I would think Mickey O would nudge out Tony Morwood on the HF. Goodes to displace David Murphy on the wing. Murphy & Morwood to then be added to the bench & then maybe extend it again to accomodate Leo & JPK . I know this is a cop out having such a ridiculous long bench. Very difficult comparing players from different eras. Just goes to show how rich our history is with star players!

P.S. I was surprised at the time Brownlow medalist Graham Teasdale missed out. Ricky Quade, Norm Goss, Gary Brice, Steven Hoffman & Greg Lambert were also my boyhood idols. Not to mention Capper post Sydney relocation.

Without meaning to hijack the thread, is it worthwhile naming best Swans teams pre & post Sydney relocation? Our post 2003 player recruiting has been exceptional.
    Last edited by KSAS; 22nd January 2022 at 01:36 PM.

KSAS PPS

When I was a kid Teaser had a big part in my conversion to redandwhite. And then Collingwood stole him, broke my heart. '77 was such an amazing year, for both him and the team, we were really going somewhere - but he wasn't exactly epically consistent.
    I think the consistancy explains his cmplete absence, and Fred Goldsmiths absence from fullback fwiw.